Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large head, measured at 24.5" around. I typically find that helmets fit smaller than advertised, at least 1 to 2 sizes small, based on their published size charts. At least this is the case with the cheaper brands (HJC and Scorpion in particular). I am thinking I would like to try either the AGV GP Tech or the Icon Airframe helmet, but I am worried about fit. By their size charts, I would be a 2xl (based on 24.5" head measurement).

Does anyone have any experience with the fit of the larger sized AGV GP Tech or Icon Airframe helmets. do they fit accurate to the size chart? Or should I go with the 3XL size?

thanks much.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
I highly recommend you buy your helmet from an actual shop if at all possible, unless it's a helmet you've worn before and you know it fits properly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ICON runs way small IMO, my shoei was a LG and fit perfect, my ICON is a 2XL and was a little snug for the first couple of rides.

+1 on the "buy it at a shop where you can try it on", I would never have thought that I needed a 2XL, until I tried it on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, that would be nice to buy from a shop. but forget that. none near me except Cycle Gear, which is even an hour drive away. Mail order is my only hope. (Like Obi Wan, but different)

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
Well since you can't get to an actual shop, I recommend you pay webbikeworld.com a visit, they do very detailed reviews and take note of which helmets fit certain types of heads best (oval, long oval, round, et cetera ...) and so on.

EDIT: Wait, you aren't willing to drive an hour away to buy a proper fitting helmet? Really? come on man.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I've been reading there quite a bit. Sounds like the airframe should be true to size, according to webbikeworld. but wanted to get some other opinions. but we got harv saying runs small. I don't have much selection in my size range. I have already eliminated HJC and Scorpion. Both fit 1 to 2 sizes smaller than their published size charts. I almost couldnt even get a 3XL HJC off my head, it was so tight. I have an older Vega 3XL which is too loose, and currently wearing a 3XL Gmax GM68, which is good side to side, but slightly tight front to back. But it is said to be a round head helmet. Guess I need just a bit more oval.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dont be a sissy i drove 45 minutes to make sure my helmet will fit the way I like it. AGV ftw
ya thanks. but the drive aint really the problem. its that no one stocks anything above size large. and no one wants to bring in a bunch of 2x and 3x helmets, just so i can try them on. when you wear a medium or large, life is easy, and not just in motorcycling. but when you wear 3x, no one has anything in stock. i have never found anyone had a jacket, pants, or helmet that was even close to fitting in stock. so i gave up. and on top of that, i am not going to pay full retail at cycle gear, when i can get things much cheaper online. that's why i do research, such as asking here, regarding fit. so please, if you have no experience with the sizes i am asking about, please refrain from making comments. it really isn't as easy as all that.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
ya thanks. but the drive aint really the problem. its that no one stocks anything above size large. and no one wants to bring in a bunch of 2x and 3x helmets, just so i can try them on. when you wear a medium or large, life is easy, and not just in motorcycling. but when you wear 3x, no one has anything in stock. i have never found anyone had a jacket, pants, or helmet that was even close to fitting in stock. so i gave up. and on top of that, i am not going to pay full retail at cycle gear, when i can get things much cheaper online. that's why i do research, such as asking here, regarding fit. so please, if you have no experience with the sizes i am asking about, please refrain from making comments. it really isn't as easy as all that.
I have plenty of experience buying motorcycle gear online, the last two jackets I bought didn't fit properly, the last THREE helmets I bought online didn't fit properly, it was a major pain in the ass trying to get all that gear re-sold. Take it from someone who has played the game, more likely than not, when you get your helmet in the mail and put it on you'll be dissappointed. Hopefully whatever you get fits good but I'm just saying ...

My current helmet fits good and I bought it at a dealership below MSRP because they were getting rid of old stock.

·
wēk sôs
805 Posts
put a deposit down at cycle gear have them order that shit in that the size you think you need.. try it on if it doesnt fit give it back to them, and they'll give you your deposit back... wow easy huh? or if you like the helmet, have them order it in your size.
We can't help you here other then tell you to avoid buying crap online unless you know for sure your size.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for not helping. i asked for help from people with specific experience. clearly you didn't have it, so you should have kept out of it, instead of telling me things I already know. oh, just run down to the store. how easy. ya, thanks for nothing. this ain't my first day on the planet you know. if it was that easy, i would have already done it. the people and prices at the cycle gear near me suck. they want double want things cost online. so unless you have something actually specifically useful to my original question, please don't post again.

·
wēk sôs
805 Posts
thanks for not helping. i asked for help from people with specific experience. clearly you didn't have it, so you should have kept out of it, instead of telling me things I already know. oh, just run down to the store. how easy. ya, thanks for nothing. this ain't my first day on the planet you know. if it was that easy, i would have already done it. the people and prices at the cycle gear near me suck. they want double want things cost online. so unless you have something actually specifically useful to my original question, please don't post again.
Yeah I posted my specific experience. shit never fits when I order it online. And yeah so what if their price suck, you have them order it, try it on tell them you don't want. then get your money back. and go online and order the size you want since you tried it on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The size charts for all the brands are accurate. However, the internal shapes are not advertised, nor are they the same. If you have to order a size up you are either not measuring right, or picking a helmet with the wrong head shape to fit you.

Example-Scorpions are crazy narrow. Measured on the size chart, I need a medium (it fits fine). My friend also has the same measurement, but a medium scorpion looks like it is going to rip the side of his face off. If he were to size up, it would be too loose around his forehead. He ended up taking an HJC in medium (which fits perfectly).

If you want it to fit right, you are really going to have to try it on in a store. Pay the premium once, and just keep buying the same helmet on sale later. Helmet fit is highly personal, and nobody will be able to fit you over the web.

If you want to just order and give it a try, be my guest and waste $15 shipping each way for every try if it doesn't fit.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Don't have your problem, but have you tried STG (sportbiketrackgear, this forum section sponsor)? They have lots of online reviews including sizing, have excellent customer service including returns, plus are VERY helpful on the phone. If you haven't, give them a try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a large head, measured at 24.5" around. I typically find that helmets fit smaller than advertised, at least 1 to 2 sizes small, based on their published size charts. At least this is the case with the cheaper brands (HJC and Scorpion in particular). I am thinking I would like to try either the AGV GP Tech or the Icon Airframe helmet, but I am worried about fit. By their size charts, I would be a 2xl (based on 24.5" head measurement).

Does anyone have any experience with the fit of the larger sized AGV GP Tech or Icon Airframe helmets. do they fit accurate to the size chart? Or should I go with the 3XL size?

thanks much.
I don't know how old this is, but if it was me, yes I would go to the dealership and ask them to get me one in my size. Deposit yes. Don't fit, ask for a different size, still don't fit, keep asking. They want your money, use that to your advantage. When you fine one that fits, keep that you your self. Take note what the size is, and order on line for the price you want.

Will it take longer...yes. but you get what you want in the end. Once a week or two you get a 2-ish hour ride on your bike, try on gear, ect. Nothing to loose except time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts