Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I made a delivery to the Harley plant in Menomonee Falls. As I was leaving the dock area, I see a sign that says: "Wear your gear and live to ride" complete with diagrams of safety shoes, earplugs, safety glasses and a hi-vis vest.

Couldn't help but think: yeah, wear your safety gear and live to ride helmetless, in a leather vest, with no hearing protection...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Rob, thats nuts!! I like harleys, I really do. But I hate all the baggage that comes with them.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Fucking hilarious rob!

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If nothing else, Willie G. has learned marketing the brand.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I don't think HD advocates riding without gear. They don't want their customers getting hurt and not buying new bikes, and they sell protective gear, why wouldn't they want them to buy it?

Every HD ad I see the rider is wearing at least a brain bucket and jacket.

The problem is the peer pressure from other riders to be cool and not wear gear. There are a lot of riders at my job, mostly HD, when I started here none of them wore gear. Then I showed up wearing a jacket, full face, boots, and gauntlets. I got laughed at and called a Power Ranger, but over the years I've seen more and more guys here start wearing more gear. I can't help but think that's my influence making it acceptable to wear the stuff.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: mfromphilly1

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may be peer pressure but by a big margin Harley riders around here wear work boots, jeans, t-shirt, bandanna and a leather vest. If it's cooler, they'll break out a leather jacket. No elbow/shoulder padding, just a plain old leather jacket.

What more do they need to ride from bar to bar? And if you didn't know, bars are on almost every corner here.

Reactions: Whymista

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
When I ride my harley today, I promise I'll wear all of my gear, including my chicken helmet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm in an uncomfortable position where I know there are gullible idiots who buy into the testride-propaganda where it's all about being seen and feeding the needs of approval seeking insecure 50 year old single / quadruple married men, and on the other hand I can't believe there are gullible idiots who buy into the test-ride propaganda where it's all about being seen.

Menso to HD : ''It's an ancillary to motorcycling, not the main event you cocks!''

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
I have never seen a HD rider in anything more than a brain bucket, leather chaps, MAYBE a leather jacket and just black boots.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
some even go so far as to buy plastic "novelty" helmets and then order fake DOT stickers from china to stick on their puddin bowls so they are even b***** "rebels" lol.

now that is truly BADASS

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
some even go so far as to buy plastic "novelty" helmets and then order fake DOT stickers from china to stick on their puddin bowls so they are even b***** "rebels" lol.

now that is truly BADASS
This thread is classic gold : http://m.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699254&styleid=9

My favorite is the guy who said he crashed in a novelty helmet and his skull fractured, so obviously novelty helmets are good enough because he didn't die.

Or the other guy who says his novelty helmet cracked in half when he crashed, but he was fine!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
Wow these fools are proud to be well fools. I don't know whether to applaud such an amazing ability to be stupid or to guffaw till my sides cry out for mercy.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
Best post so far

"I too am from a state (Montana) that doesn't require helmets for those over 18. I've never worn one (unless in a state where required). I've been down a few times over the years. I'm still here. Have many friends with similar stories. I even have a friend who split a deer in half on the interstate with no helmet. He's still riding. And yet, my 19 year old son, wearing his full face helmet, and all his stylish padded leather, died 6 months ago, when he ran into a cage that ran a stop sign an pulled out in front of him. He was doing about 75. The coroner said that everything inside the helmet was fine. It was just below the helmet where the problems began and continued from there. Imagine his life now, if he had survived? I honestly thank god that he didn't. And that he didn't feel a thing. Nuff said- No thanks, I'll pass on the helmet, as it probably won't matter anyway.

WOW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts