Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm jumping the gun a bit and putting in NGK CR9EIX Iridium plugs on my '05 R1 after reading a couple of articles proclaiming their greatness. Anyone put these in and notice any difference? I got them for $7 a piece at sparkplugs.com, so I figured why not. '05 R1 comes with plain jane copper core plugs(NGK CR9EX). I would assume there has to be an improvement.

Crap- I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Don't know how to move it or if I can, so hopefully a moderator will see this and move it. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yeah, put them in the FJR at 10k miles and they do make a difference. Could just be that they are new plugs but it runs better. Plus they have a longer change interval.
When you are dealing with the HP levels we have, some changes may not be as noticeable.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I recently changed the plugs in my 748 and wanted to know the difference between the EIX and EX plugs. According to there technical support, the EIX run just a tad cooler.

B

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you Jim, but the OEM plugs that come with the R1 are copper core, not platinum. And they aren't too bad- $6.95 a plug. Platinum will still run you $4 or so.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Dan'sR1 said:
I hear you Jim, but the OEM plugs that come with the R1 are copper core, not platinum. And they aren't too bad- $6.95 a plug. Platinum will still run you $4 or so.
They're coming down, I guess. Precious metal electrodes are superior to copper, but mostly for longevity. If I had copper plugs, I'd switch to Platinum. If I had Platinum plugs, I wouldn't bother with Iridium. There's nothing wrong with cutting to the chase if you want to. Iridium is not a bad choice, just an expensive one. (Although clearly not as expensive as the last time I checked.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
spark is spark. it all comes down to whether you're running the right heat range. like some of the others posted: they may just last longer. as far as others saying it makes a huge difference, i would love to see some data backing this up (other than the sellers). if you're igniting all the fuel in the combustion chamber with a factory plug, how is another going to make any more power? but factory plugs are @$5+ each, so what's another $8 total?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts