Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up Iowans!

Introduce yourselves. Don't be shy. I know there are more Iowans on sportbikes.net than have posted in this forum because a cursory search of the Member List for people who have "Iowa" or "IA" or "Des Moines" or other prominent cities result in 14 people. And, this after everyone just had to re-register and some may not visit this forum on a daily basis like others do. There may be more Iowans lurking around the corner who just haven't gotten around to registering a new account yet - OR, people haven't put their location in their profile.

So, if you're from Iowa - post up and say hello.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way... I might as well start the intros off for those who haven't met me.

I'm TheWraith. Live in West Des Moines just a little ways off the new Jordan Creek Parkway. Work downtown at the Principal Financial Group in IT with focus in Network Information Security; routers, firewall, intrusion detection, network vulnerability analysis, that sort of thing. Former 'Elite Athelete', collegiate/national/international champion, and resident of the US Olympic Training Center (Co. Springs), Taekwondo('88-94, competition activity) Former United States Marine('94-02). Former smoker, too, which is really the only other "former" thing I could think of at this point in the post.

Have a bunch 'o pictures on http://gallery.packetmonkey.net if you're so inclined to view.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Tin Hut

Smitty here,

Former high school nerd who enlisted into the army in 1988 and served till 91 (orginally a 2 year term, was extended 9 months for the first gulf war). Then enrolled in IA State and graduated in 96 with a BS in Biochemistry. Worked a couple different jobs doing protein research (serious snoozefest work), and then left the private world to work for the state. I have been a criminalist in the Division of Criminal Investigations Lab for about 5 years now. I work in the controlled substance section of the lab as well as serve as a member of the crime scene team (am actually on call at this time). I also am the DBA (data base admin) for the application that tracks evidence in the lab and the system users.

Now for the fun stuff, I like to ride. I like to ride a lot. See Smitty ride! :)

Am late to the motorcycle world as I did not start riding until I turned 32. And I am making up for the late start every chance i get though!

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
I'm still here. I'm still Russian, and I still drive a 91 Accord. I'm also out in Clive and am catching up with my bike on all of the riding I've missed out on while my dad's bike was in traction with a broken chain tensioner slider which we didn't think of. I'm heading out to Iowa City to attend the University of Iowa on August 21. I'll post up pictures of the bike as soon as I get around to taking them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am from Coralville just out side of Iowa City... attendin college and during the summer working for the City...I dont currently have a bike but am looking so lets hope all goes well and i happend to come across one... any help would be cool Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'am From Prairie City And New To Sportbikes.net.i Work In Pella And Enjoy Riding My 900 Monster( Red Of Course) And My Yz 400f.and I Am Very Proud To Be An Iowan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am from Muscatine. New to sportbikes.net Had not ridden for many years but recently purchased a new 03 Honda RC51. Now I just need to find some good roads and time. Hopefully will get to meet and/or ride with some or all one of these days.

Matt22hawk, what kind of bike you looking for and how much you want to spend? The local dealer is a real good friend of mine and has new and used inventory. You are less than an hour from me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Katana750

Before that in alphabetical order:
HONDA CB250RS
SUZUKI GS550 M Katana
SUZUKI GS550ES
SUZUKI GS1150ES
YAMAHA XT350

·
Registered
753 Posts
welcome

Mus good choice on the RC a friend of mine has the 2002 version and loves it. It is a sharp looking bike, and is a pure sportsbike. My only complaint is the amount of heat the thing emits it can get really hot!

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard the RCs are hot as hell. My F4i puts off more than enough heat. Sometimes the stop-n-go traffic from downtown to West Des Moines on the rides home all but scortches my knees.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Musc i am looking for any sports bike that is good for a new rider 600 or 750 cc nothing lower tho... i am looking to spend no more than $3000... pretty much anything with in the sports bike cat. that is 600-750 cc full fairings... Thanks man

also if i get up and goin on this and get riddin maybe we could ride together we will have to see...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You could pick up a nice 5+ year old 600cc bike. The Kawasakis seem to depreciate a buit faster than other brands..maybe a 97/8 zx6?

Take you time when you get it and learn about the bike. Its easy to twist your wrist but harder to control that speed in a corner or stopping. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks guys. The RC is one heck of a machine. Once the road turns twisty the bike really comes into its element. And that sound - gear driven cams and a v-twin thump. I have had other riders look at the bike like there is something wrong with it. A Honda sportbike that sounds like a vey strange Harley.

Wraith, you are right - It does run hot but it is not my daily driver so that is not an issue. Essentially right now weekends only and then only if the weather is nice. Also it goes stright out of town in the search of twisties. Old age starts to do that to you.

Matt, I will check with the dealer here about the specs you suggested. I know they a 900rr, 929, and an R1 but those would be overkill for a new rider plus don't forget insurance. Are you ready to buy or just thinking? If you are serious these people will hold one for you to look at if I ask them. Let me know. BTW I don't make anything of this, just trying to help a future fellow rider.

I agree with scotty. If you do get a bike no matter what or from where take your time to learn the bike's limits and more importantly your limits. Like an old-timer said to me once - ride at your pace, not "their" pace.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
musctech said:
Wraith, you are right - It does run hot but it is not my daily driver so that is not an issue. Essentially right now weekends only and then only if the weather is nice. Also it goes stright out of town in the search of twisties. Old age starts to do that to you.
During the summer, if it's not raining and I'm not needing to haul anything to/from, I ride to work. I'm not that far behind you in the age department so don't give me that old age crap. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey musc... i am a bit of it all i am looking but i really would like to get a bike... the price has to be right ya know... i have to pay for college and all...do they happen to have a website?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Josh Lassiter said:
what color was it? you remember the name of the guy you sold it to?

It was that funky blue two tone :confused: thing that Suzuki did for a while. Don't remember the guys name but I believe he was from peoria.

Matt,

Their website is www.norrismotorsport.com They have a couple of decent 600s' that are not listed on the website. I am going to go look at them probably tomorrow. If you do like something on their web let me know. I can check it out for you. I will also find out what the price will be for those bikes versus whatever they are listed at.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts