Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just came back from the IOMTT and then some down time in London, and other than staying in something call a "Snoozebox" (at least the bed was comfy),the Isle of Man Tourst Trophy was the BEST motorcycle racing experience I have ever had, maybe ever will. Our Uh, "room" was a few steps from the starting grid, and being a small Island, everything including the riders/pits were very accessible....sweet! As cool as TV or on-board videos are at giving you an idea of the difficulty of racing through the roads and streets, it's only when you walk down say, Bray Hill, that you notice how frickin steep..and narrow it is. These riders are doing that at anywhere from 150 - 175 mph, oh and don't forget the dip at the bottom and the rise at the top. Lamp posts, curbs, concrete and stone walls just a few feet away from the very curvy racing line. And they do this in rain or shine, hoping someone's cat doesn't jump out and cause them to crash....it's happened. I've personally raced at some 3 mile tracks where something off to the corner of my eye has had me re-doubling my focus, but the TT racers are racing in a carnival of sights, sounds and dangers, all on a razors edge...for 37 miles a lap....and most are 4-6 laps in length. They do have some safety equipment...hay bales and wrestling mats wrapped around light poles, no air fence that I saw...crazy...I guess that's why I loved it. On Friday, we sat in some bleachers for the Senior race an was happy to see John McGuinness win his 20th first place, he actually stopped his bike in front of us and just shook his head in disbelief, lifted his visor and yelled....in relief? Maybe, but I'd like to think it was from pure joy.....

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I can not begin to tell you how jealous I am.

I do not mean to pry too much, but how did you plan the trip? Cost? How did you do it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same questions as you, in fact I'd been wanting to go for years, anyway here is my info. Contact Regency Travel (they are in IOM)...Bert Bakker. With London included, it was pricey for two, but I figured I was already close, so.... . Travel is a big expense, not just air, but train, to and from the plane to the coast and then the round trip ferry ride (book way in advance). SnoozeBox's are very very small, but perfect if you only use it to sleep.....look it up on internet. Meals are a mixed bag, expensive, unless you do some shopping around. We went with another couple so it would be hard to give you $ amounts, just email Regency for a quote. Where to see the race? Again book in advance for a bleacher seat especially for the race days that are important to you (ie Senior Race was Friday). You can walk and watch at different locations for free, but so will a bunch of people, so if crowds are OK, than save your money, but a bleacher seat is nice too. If you wanted to go to say Ramsey for the cool mountain portion (fast section) you'll need to get their early (roads close at 9am to be used for the course) and its about 13miles from Douglas where most housing/start line/ paddocks are and that means your stuck there till the roads open back up, they have places to eat/pee etc. but just know this. There are NO jumbotrons, so the section your at is your only viewing point till you move...but the Island is soo pretty, and the local people are some of the best/ nicest folks I've ever met...anyplace is fun to be at. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask...I wish someone was there for me...

·
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
1,135 Posts
Great stuff!

Isle of Man is probably on a lot of bucket lists on this website. It sounds like so much fun.
Sounds like you had a blast, would you do it again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts