Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone into money investments? I've been wanting to invest some money. Savings accounts suck, CDs suck, stock market seems iffy. I wanted to invest in XM Satellite about a year ago and I am kicking myself in the ass for not doing so. Was at about $12 a share, now over $27. :mad: Can't get into the home market, but was thinking maybe of just buying some property. Where do you guys put your money?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well I could write a book long reply on all the things i've done, some worked...some didn't. One book you should DEFINATELY read if you are thinking about investing money in the long term is "The automatic Millionaire" By David Bach

P.S that book focuses mainly on IRA's and money markets etc. and has a TON of resources included in it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
IRA's and money markets are kool if have time, but there is a limit to how much you can invest each year and the taxes and penaties suck when you decide to use your hard earned cash you saved.

If you have time on the weekends and your credit score is above 650 get into fixing up houses. If you're smart and do your homework you'll bank atleast 50k every 6 months which is not bad for a weekend job or quit your job like my bestfriend did and flip a house a month. Him and his wife just retired this year at the age of 27

Toss me a PM and I'll send you a pretty cool ecel calculator if this is what you're into.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I don't know jack crap about investments, that's why I just put my money into my 401K. Make a few easy choices about where my money goes into, and then just sit back and let it do it's job.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You could give your excess money to me........problem is, I don't think it would make much in the way of returns, but it would make ME happy. :p

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I have No Load Mutual Funds...and a few others things, but watch who and what your investing in. Research ALOT, its all about research

·
Registered
26 Posts
in flipping houses. i have no experience repairing them and that stuff, would i hire someone to fix them and still make over 100k a year if i do that full time as my job? any other info on this i would greatly appreciate, as i have been looking into this for awhile now

·
Registered
376 Posts
You're definalty going to save money doing the work yourself, but you can still make 100k+ not doing it. You may want to look into finding a partner that is good at carpentry. The usual work is landscaping the front yard, (the backyard doesn't need to be beautyful, just presentable and a lot of buyers like the option of landscaping the backyard themselves) exterior/interior painting, carpet, and new appliances.
It's to much of a pain in the ass to PM the excel calculator so I'm attaching it to this message instead.

Goodluck

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have been a broker since out of college. There have been good times and bad. Nowdays, you can have a great stock that beats numbers, and the stock still gets hammered. It's becoming more and more of gambling. The buy and hold days are over.

I have been looking into some real estate as well with a friend. Like Doraf says, find someone you trust that is good at carpentry, and you supplying the money makes a good relationship. I think it also depends where you live to do this. In Florida where I live, people are making a killing...not sure if this applys to every part of the country. Plus interest rates could put a damper on things. I don't have the time to do the work myself or know how, but I have a great real estate friend. What I am looking at nowdays is just buying preconstruction homes at day 1 pricing if you can find out about them that early, and a year and a half later when they are done around here, they are up $75 to $100K. Or if you are in for the long haul and have good credit, buy a property and rent it and in so many years, you have a property that is fully paid for by other people. Yes, there are horror stories though for landlords having bad tenants. Nothing is for certain, but I think preconstruction is a great way. Thinking you are going to find a house in the weekend paper for cheap will not happen. You have to drive around and look for fixer uppers and make them an offer. Best of luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Since you were interested in XM Satellite radio (Ticker: XMSR), you should try Sirius radio(symbol: SIRI). Those two have a monopoly on the satellite radio market so you cannot go wrong with either. Personally, take whatever money you have and put half of it into large-caps, then flip the rest on small or micro-cap stocks where you can make as much as 100% in a day if you are lucky( can also lose it, but penny stock investors are like sheep so just follow the herd). I am 18 too, and I've made quite some $$$$ doing this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Doraf said:
You're definalty going to save money doing the work yourself, but you can still make 100k+ not doing it. You may want to look into finding a partner that is good at carpentry. The usual work is landscaping the front yard, (the backyard doesn't need to be beautyful, just presentable and a lot of buyers like the option of landscaping the backyard themselves) exterior/interior painting, carpet, and new appliances.
It's to much of a pain in the ass to PM the excel calculator so I'm attaching it to this message instead.

Goodluck

I have no doubt this works...but the housing market outside of California is not the same.

People are making money hand over fist here, but it is driving the market value up and makes it hard for first time buyers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts