Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone already finished installing inverted forks on their FZ6?

If so, what's involved in doing it and at what cost?

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Wouldn't inverted forks be.... R6 forks???

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know what inverted forks are, but why are they desirable? Im not being sarcastic, just being a noob. I really would like to know.
Thanks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Spike said:
Wouldn't inverted forks be.... R6 forks???
Not all R6 forks are inverted. The ones that everyone is doing the mods with are not inverted.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
Santiaghoul said:
I know what inverted forks are, but why are they desirable? Im not being sarcastic, just being a noob. I really would like to know.
Thanks.
From what I've read, when you go over a bump/pothole/etc. the greatest forces on the forks are where they join the triple clamps. So inverted forks have the wider section attached to the triple clamps for more rigidity/strength. Dunno if this allows for a lighter fork or not. Also, dunno if one end is heavier or not, maybe reduces unsprung weight.

Aaron

·
Registered
400 Posts
I thought about putting the Ohlins inverted fork for the 03-04 R6 on using the spacer kit for the regular R6 fork.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What's the point in putting inverted forks to the FZ6 ? Conventional R6 forks are more than enough for the Fizzer. Instead of gettin inverted forks I would get myself a new R6S if I were You. Besides, inverted forks will shred Your triple tree when some shit happens and the conventional ones will only brake the tubes. :cheers

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fazer72 said:
What's the point in putting inverted forks to the FZ6 ? Conventional R6 forks are more than enough for the Fizzer. Instead of gettin inverted forks I would get myself a new R6S if I were You. Besides, inverted forks will shred Your triple tree when some shit happens and the conventional ones will only brake the tubes. :cheers
haha-- good point, but we don't mod to crash it now, do we? The point being is that it's a modification!:lao I'm not sure if that mod will work on a faring version though. Not sure about the clearance to enable modifications to the triples to fit between the tank and the plastics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I really wish i had the cash to put inverted forks on my 05, I'm curious if it can be done with the faired version. I would be able to afford this mod when work picks up in a month or so, but i dont want to be the first guy to try it with the faired FZ.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
You'd either have to custom fab a whole triple set, or you could press out the FZ6 stem, press it into an R1/R6 lower triple, and then make a bushing that fits the larger inside diameter of the top triple where the stem goes through.

I think the second route would be vastly cheaper.

·
Beware the drop bears
480 Posts
Thanks.
I,m pretty sure inverted forks come from the race bikes to stop the fork flexing.
From what I have read normal forks will flex under extreme braking because of the smaller tubes at the top and the front wheel has been known to touch the radiator on race bikes,inverting them puts the thicker part at the top making them much harder to flex,then it just filtered down to performance street bikes,no real need on the street I dont think.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure if it was mentioned yet or not but inverted forks give less unsprung weight too. So that there is an advantage. The forks don't have to work as hard and might last longer. The less unsprung weight was my biggest draw to them.

Khyren

1 - 20 of 31 Posts