Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My epic tale starts at 9:00 am when my buddy Bobby woke me up telling me we're going to Helen. Helen is a cool little bavarian alpine tourist town north of Atlanta. Lots of beer, bikes and brats. My kinda thing.

So we grab some breakfast and head out. I was planning to fix my broken clutch lever and install my new turn signals before we left, but he was impatient and kept prodding me to leave. So to stave off any more complaining I put off the install and we left.

About 20 minutes into the ride we ended up behind a pack of other bikers. two Hardly's (that wasn't an accidental typo) and three crotch rockets. A CBR 600, suzuki SRAD and a another 600 that I forgot what it was. As we're traling the rear of the pack guy on the SRAD hops off the bike at 80 to slide his feet. I don't know what the trick is called.

then the dude, on the unknown bike pulls a wheelie and rides it. throws his feel over the bars... that kinda thing. So we drop back a few car lengths to avoid running into his corpse if he blew it. The antics didn't stop there. We had front row seats to the Amazing Squid Show for the next hour. It WAS entertaining. Did I mention that all the squids were wearing t-shirts and shorts?

we finally ditched those guys when we got into Helen. Stopped off and got a Warsteiner and a kraut brat then chilled out and watched the bikes roll in. I have quite a few people interested in the FZ and got a ton of remarks about the exhaust. they are attention grabbers. Being anal about my stuff I cringed every time someone looked at me scratched engind case and broked clutch lever (I'm fixing it tonight)

we hung around Helen for about the next hour checknig out the cute chica's then headed back home. We unfortuanatlely got caught behind EVERY SINGLE slow ass cage on teh street and didn't really get to enjoy all the sumptuous twisties. Oh well.

The fun really started about 30 minutes from home when we ran into the biggest freeking storm I've seen in a long time. It was litterally right on top of us. The lightning and thunder were exactly at the same time and deafening.

So the secong lightning strike blew out a power grid causing the express way to come to a halt with us caught in the downpour. we did make it under an overpass where we got to wait most of it out. It's amazing how many people almost break their necks to gawk at two guys waiting out a storm under an overpass. it was just absolutley comical. there were almost two accidents right in front of us cause people couldn't get enough of the spectical. All we were doing is sitting there talking. damn people are dumb.

Finally after about 45 minutes the rain let up and we motored on home, soaked to the core, but still happy. pics are below. The asian guy is my buddy Bobby with his Z1000. Time for some hot wings and a beer.

Attachments

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Nice reading.

Looking at the pictures, I'd think your friend is probably a good riding buddy!

Raining and still looks like the guy is having tons of fun!!!

Cool...

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
When I saw the first pic I thought it was in Germany. Lots of bikes there! Too bad about the rain, but the fizzer looks great regardless.

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
Those Z1000's are very nice looking bikes. So far I have been lucky enough to miss every single monsoon storm we've had, and I currently only have my bike to ride since I wrecked my car. The rainy season is here in Phoenix and I wont have a car for atleast a month but probably longer, and I only have my leather alpinestars jacket which I am kinda afraid to get wet.

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup he's a good guy.

phxtravis, I wouldn't worry about the jacket. I wear a Joe Rocket Super Ego (full leather) and it gets totally soaked at least once a week.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Fe Kit

·
Registered
360 Posts
D. Yank' you are in violation!!!!

relinquish the reflectors immediately. Don' t you know they screw up all the pictures with colored glare?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Reads like it was great trip. Funny how alittle hardship like rain storm can actually add to the adventure and memories. I love the pixs of the two of you cowering under the overpass like soaked rats - the other charming side of biking (only bikers would get it).

Love the Z1000 too - came close to buying one last year.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
skeleton said:
Reads like it was great trip. Funny how alittle hardship like rain storm can actually add to the adventure and memories. I love the pixs of the two of you cowering under the overpass like soaked rats - the other charming side of biking (only bikers would get it).

Love the Z1000 too - came close to buying one last year.

When are you people ever going to learn? :rolleyes

I have these items called a rainsuit, waterproof boots, and waterproof gloves. I do not get wet and I do not stop for the rain. Lightning is a different matter altogether...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
rennsport:

You missed that I live in Vancouver. My most popular material is Gortex. Gortex bicycle outfit, Gortex mobike outfit, and spare Gortex. Aside from the sunny days of summer here, the Gortex is always in my bike tailbag unless I'm wearing it. And like you, my bag includes rain gloves - my Sidi boots are waterproof anyway.

That being said, I still prefer to pull over when the rain comes does in torrents, otherwise I keep rolling. The plus side is Vancouver gets no snow, so we (hardcore) ride year round.

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rensport, the forcast didn't call for rain until later that night. if you look at us, we did ride in the rain quite awhile with no problems. it was hot and the rain felt good. We did stop when the lightning was striking less than a half mile around us, and the rain was coming down so hard that it was flooding the roads.

I do learn, I have rain gear. I guarantee if you were riding in that, you would have been sitting right where we were.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Damn_Yankee said:
Rensport, the forcast didn't call for rain until later that night. if you look at us, we did ride in the rain quite awhile with no problems. it was hot and the rain felt good. We did stop when the lightning was striking less than a half mile around us, and the rain was coming down so hard that it was flooding the roads.

I do learn, I have rain gear. I guarantee if you were riding in that, you would have been sitting right where we were.

Like I said, I do stop for lightning but, that is all...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Used to live in Athens - went tubing with some friends up in that area, drove through Helen on the way back. Very pretty little town. There was a Shriner convention of some sort there when we went through, traffic was a mess and there were a ton of old guys running around in white shirts, black ties, and fezzes, most of them driving little miniature cars too. :D

Fun back roads for riding.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I need to come up that way and ride with you guys. I'm just in Birmingham. Could use a few unfamiliar Georgian rodes to ride on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts