Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, not sure what to think about this email I recieved today but I dont want to look too much into it but it does sound like a possible offer.

I have posted some pics before of a slot car layout I built. Anyway a couple other online forums I visit about slot cars had me write a artical and how to for other members to give them ideas. So I am guessing this is how this person found me which is cool because I do get a lot of emails from people that have read the artical. I will leave out certain names and contact info from the copied email but I wanted to get some opinions from some of you on what you think this could be. A possible job offer, just needing advice, etc?

I did reply and he emailed me back telling me to call him at his office to discuss things and so we could meet. I didnt get the reply email until after work tonight so I will give a call in the morning

Good Morning;

Let me introduce myself. My name is Jeffrey XXXXXX and I am a shareholder and Vp of Business Development for Smartt Inc (http://www.smarttinc.com/ ) , based out of Miami, Florida.

We have been in business for over 10 years and have become the number one company in the world in the Building of Scale Model Train Layouts.

Our jobs start around $200,000 and our highest to date was $4.2 million. Some of our commercial clients include the likes of The Museum of Science &Industry in Chicago ($3.5 million),

One of the top ten malls in the USA, The Aventura Mall in Aventura,Florida,Macy”s NYC Herald Square Store(their flagship store, plus many other commercial and private jobs.

We have 15 full time employees and 7000 square feet of working space. We are now in the process of also getting into the slot car, NASCAR Layout Business. I

Would love to discuss the possibility of you and I working together. I can be reached at XXX-XXX-XXXX

Thank You;

Jeffrey XXXXX

·
Registered
123 Posts
call the number that should tell ya

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I would check it out and if it's for real,jump on it,you have the chance to get in on the startup of something new in a developed co......With that said,you would have the chance to be the top dog.

I saw your track and I think it was top notch.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Yeah it sounds promising, being approched by a company is all new to me so I didnt want to get my hopes up too quick, but I will be contacting him in the morning.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Keep us updated

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
I have to say the website looks kind of cheesy. I didn't see anything there that couldn't have been made up on the quick (complete with photos that could have come right out of the back of a Hobby Japan magazine) in order to dupe someone. I'd expect a big time company to have a big time website.

Call and hear what he has to say. If it sounds promising, ask for references from his cutomers, more pics of the jobs and especially if there are any displays or projects they have been involved in that are close to you so you can go check them out and talk with their customers.

Don't forget to watch out for things like him asking you to use your own money to 1) buy materials or 2) to buy a franchise - or otherwise buy into his business as a partner etc. Since this is unsolicited, it might really be one of those too good to be true things so if it sounds at all fishy blow him off right away.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
yeah what tmkreutzer said....

if it's legit, way cool though man!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
hmmm...that first paragraph kinda through me a bit. I don't see why a VP of a business would contact you for a job..that's what the HR people are for. Also is says the site was last updated in Dec 2003. From 20 May 05 to Present the guest book has nothing but weird looking links in (that i wouldn't suggest opening)

I'd call to find out. I wouldn't use your home phone though. Just to play it safe.

Let us know.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
a job working with toys all day? that's my dream!

find out as much information before you agree to anything +1

·
Registered
615 Posts
I remember going to The Museum of Science and Industry when I was a kid. That train layout they had was amazing. It was so freaking huge. I havent been there in about 7 years so I am not sure if its still there or not.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If a VP was into the trade (in this case models/trains,etc)... I could see him contacting you directly or shooting you an email. He's probably the one that saw it in the first place. VPs are on a broad scale.

With only 15 employees, he probably IS the HR department. The company I work with has 5 VP's (even a VP for HR) and we have 22,000 employees. I would jump all over the phone call and see what he has to say. He obviously can recognize talented people :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I called the guy, not interested in anything I had done or my ideas just looking for leads for corporate sponsorships with their products.

·
Owned by marriage
1,190 Posts
Kick his ass for leading you on like that!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts