Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my 04 Yamaha FZ6 and want to purchase a Ninja 636. I want to purchase an 05 model, but the prices for 03's are more within my budget. I can get a slightly used 05 for around $7000 or a 03' for around $5000.

I understand the 05 has a new exhaust, brakes, suspension and frame. I have read many reviews on both the 03',04', & 05' and they are all great machines.

Can someone tell me if there is a noticable difference between a 03-04 and an 05 model worth $2k difference? Will my insurance be the same on both models?

·
Adrenaline Junkie
313 Posts
I too would like to see what others could say about the 636. Preferably the 04-05. I am looking at buying the new Gixxer 750, but would still like to weight out the pros and cons of other bikes. What ever info you have would be usefull in my decision making.

·
Registered
331 Posts
RBC827 said:
I am selling my 04 Yamaha FZ6 and want to purchase a Ninja 636. I want to purchase an 05 model, but the prices for 03's are more within my budget. I can get a slightly used 05 for around $7000 or a 03' for around $5000.

I understand the 05 has a new exhaust, brakes, suspension and frame. I have read many reviews on both the 03',04', & 05' and they are all great machines.

Can someone tell me if there is a noticable difference between a 03-04 and an 05 model worth $2k difference? Will my insurance be the same on both models?
The 05 636 also has a slipper clutch , thats one of the reasons I bought it.

You stated all the things that are new for 05 , then asked if the extra $2000 is worth it.
I say that depends on what you will be using the bike for.......
If it's just going to be a street bike for casual rides , then it's probably not worth it to you.
While all that race oriented stuff is nice , you really shouldn't be riding at a level on the street to where it would be a huge benefit to have those things like a slipper clutch etc.
If the bike will see the track , then I say hell yes it's worth it.
For $2000 , you couldn't go buy the new stuff that's on the 05 to put on the 03/04 it would cost alot more than $2000.

The 05 has alot of great stuff on it for racing , thats why I bought it as this years race bike.
If you are looking for a nice street bike and the extra $2000 for a used 636 will break the bank then I say save your money and get an 03/04 they are all nice bikes.

Me personally , I would spend the extra jack and get the 05 because there is nothing truly rational about purchasing a motorcycle to begin with. :beer

·
Adrenaline Junkie
313 Posts
Great info. Thanks! The '05 636 Rocks :headbang

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
999Duc said:
there is nothing truly rational about purchasing a motorcycle to begin with. :beer
You make a pretty good point here. I don't see me anytime soon at the track, so I think I will take your advice and stick with a 03-04 model. Maybe when the 06's come out, people may start selling the 05 model a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My opinion probably won't be entirely relevant because it is my first street bike, but I love my '03 636. They are great bikes and unless you are looking for some track time I would say they would do you fine for 90% of the street riding you will do...

·
My flock keeps growing
2,942 Posts
I love my 03 636. Is an 05 worth the extra 2k? If I had the $$ to spend I would more than likely go for the 05, but it is hard to say! I am not sure how much different it would be (I don't do a lot of track days) from what I have now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love my '03 (handles awesome, great power, super brakes, comfortable enough for long rides. The only thing that I would consider, though, is that the suspension is a bit on the stiff side for everyday street riding. Not terribly teeth-chattering, but more firm than many magazine test riders feel is normal. I hear that the later models ('04 on) have addressed the issue and are much better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just wanted to chime in on this since i've ridden a '05 636 on the track. I took Keith Codes superbike school at mid ohio this year and the 636 is a top notch bike. I was very surprised how well these bikes handled. Very light and agile, and very good brakes. They are a little down on power, but the handling more than makes up for it. I highly recommend the '05 636. Handled much better than my friends R6 as well as my other friends cbr600rr.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts