Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot of posts on here and am interested in riding my bike on a road course. I am pretty comfortable on the street but never ride terribly aggressively since I truely do no trust the traffic and particularly the roads in PA. Where do I look to sign up for a road course day? Do they have ones geared towards first timers? What gear is required to run in one of these?

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
What you want to do is take a Track Day School, depending where you live there are several schools out there, fairly cheap ~$100 + track fees. California has the Keith Code Superbike School, that's one of the more well known ones. If you can't attend a school, just try going on a less busy day, so you can have a little more freedom on the track to experiment. Just start off slow, and practice different techniques and get a little faster each lap. Just make sure of all of your local tracks regulations about gear and bike setup before you go. Most of all, enjoy! I feel the same way as you about not pushing myself on the street, I don't trust people or the road conditions like I do on the track.

As far as gear requirements go, mostly what I've seen is DOT/SNELL Approved helmet, full leathers with armor, some tracks require protective back pads/plates, like I said check with your local track, go out to a trackday and watch how the whole thing works, you'll learn more that way than asking on this board. From what I've seen so far SBN doesn't have too many members who race or even actively participate in track days (that explains the tumbleweeds rolling through the "Racer's Corner" forum) :)

Jason

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would suggest a school. I took a school with Ed Bargy, but there are many other options. Usually, the minimum required gear is a leather suit, one-piece preferred but zip-together two piece is acceptable, leather boots (not necessarily racing boots, a guy in my class wore leathers and work boots, who knows why), gauntlet gloves, and a DOT helmet.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been looking into the same subject. I haven't been able to locate a track or track day school in the area. It seems they are all in CA or FL. I'm sure there has to be more, but I haven't been successful in located any thru the internet or local riders. I'm probably looking in the wrong places.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm about to do one in at Hallet, Oklahoma. Aug. 1st. Check out there site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also check out NESBA -- NorthEast Sport Bike Ass'n. They have a lot tracks that they go to, and the atmosphere is great. I just did their "Introductory" Class for FREE earlier this year -- you get 2 twenty minute sessions for nothing -- and I am hooked! Rates are competitive, and the control riders help you out on the track. It was a blast, I learned a lot, and I will definitely be doing this more often.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ya, i would like to try the track also

and i live in the area. so let me know what you find out and like wise. never been to a track either. sounds like a good time tho and a good learning exp.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You should all have a look at http://www.sportbiketracktime.com
. Navigate through the site to find trackdays all over the U.S., and also requirements that most if not all tracks do/should have. 'Qwik huh' I see that your from PA, there is Beave Run Motorsports about 40 minutes from Pittsburgh. Enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts