Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the newer(800 CC) interceptor in the same league as a 600 or is it more in the 750/liter bike catagory.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Performance wise it is more similar to a 600 than a 750 or litrebike, but the VFR wasn't made to be a supersport, it was made to be a very well made sport-touring bike. So you can't really compare them to supersports.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
If you are looking to do some long distance riding or just want a more comfortable commute to work or something, it would be a great bike. Hell, RacerX takes his VFR to the track and it seems to do ok.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I'd say a VFR gets pretty damn close to that. But then again I've only ridden one for about 10 minutes, but it felt nice. Maybe RacerX will chime in on this thread about his Interceptor.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
it's a great bike, great 2nd bike.......daily driver great as well, cross country.....great......track. marginal. BUT i'd rather ride my SV for city driving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RACER X said:
it's a great bike, great 2nd bike.......daily driver great as well, cross country.....great......track. marginal. BUT i'd rather ride my SV for city driving.
Why would you rather drive the SV in city driving?????

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
just a more fun bike. the SV is like a miata of motorcycles, where the VFR is like an M5. smaller is funner

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with the above posts. BTW I love the SV1000... awesome looking ride. If you want daily fun riding around town I'd go with a true sportbike instead. The VFR looks like a typical rocket but it's truly made for touring. If you want a flickable daily ride go with a SV twin or maybe a 600cc rocket??

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
sorry had a 600SS ('01 zx-6r) not as good for city driving as the VFR , let alone the SV. 600SS are race bikes w/ plastics.....50-60-70mph.......lol, try 100-110-120 thats when it fun........not really city realistic.

btw, the wife agree's, it was really her zx-6r.......she loves the SV

·
Registered
61 Posts
I rode an Interceptor for a few months. I had the 2000 VFR that I purchased from my brother. It is definitely a better day-to-day bike than a 600SS. Also no slouch in the power dept for the street. Unique sound from the V4 engine also. There is also alot of debate of whether the new VTEC is better or not.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
spawnx66 said:
I rode an Interceptor for a few months. I had the 2000 VFR that I purchased from my brother. It is definitely a better day-to-day bike than a 600SS. Also no slouch in the power dept for the street. Unique sound from the V4 engine also. There is also alot of debate of whether the new VTEC is better or not.
I think the main purpose of the v-tec system on the new vfr was to pass 2006 emissions (CA ?). It restricts the breathing a little at lower rpms where they test for emissions. I bet if successful, Honda will be putting it on other models.

The vfr used to win "best all-around sport bike" awards all the time (well at least once that I'm sure of). It's a bit heavy, but can't be all bad to have such a following.

·
Registered
558 Posts
yea i love my viffer, as previously stated, for a do it all bike there is nothing better. I personally like the 5th gen viffers the most but I have a bias. If your looking for a comfy bike, with enough shit n get to have fun on, big enough to ride 2 up comfortably, and impressive styling.. get the viffer. If you want a flickable wheelie machine get something else.

Also, something to note is that it retains its value better than almost all other japanese bike on the market.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I love my Viffer also...no complaints...great all around bike and would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
RayOSV said:
I think the main purpose of the v-tec system on the new vfr was to pass 2006 emissions (CA ?). It restricts the breathing a little at lower rpms where they test for emissions. I bet if successful, Honda will be putting it on other models.

The vfr used to win "best all-around sport bike" awards all the time (well at least once that I'm sure of). It's a bit heavy, but can't be all bad to have such a following.
Could be? But I thought the reason behind the vtec theory was to provide better torque at lower rpms...could be wrong though...

·
Registered
681 Posts
A second bike...... how many miles under your belt and what are you coming OFF of in this 'step up'???

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
its a great looking bike too..i had a 98 vfr that i rode around for a bit and i got lots of compliments on it..it was red and black...a sweet bike

·
Registered
151 Posts
RACER X said:
just a more fun bike. the SV is like a miata of motorcycles, where the VFR is like an M5. smaller is funner
Hey I resemble that remark!

Yea for what my newb opinion is worth I say cast my vote for the SV. Of course I own the bike and can't get enough of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts