Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was wondering how much motorcycle insurance runs on an average? i know they have those websites where you can get quotes but i dont feel like putting in my social security for that.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Need more info then that. I see that you're 25, very good there. Are you a guy or gal? What bike are you looking into, year, CC? Plans to take the MSF or have you already done so? Is this going to be all that you drive or do you have a car?

Jason

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are so many factors that I would suggest calling a few local agencies and see what they have to offer.
I go with a different company then the rest of my plans, because I can get it so cheap. (I'm old, married, good credit, good record, own the bike, ect...)

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you go cruiser, I’d go Progressive. For sport bikes go State Farm. Progressive knows a lot more then State Farm about bikes. Which is good for sport bikes and bad for cruisers. State Farm, do their rates based mainly on CC. For example, an 1100 Shadow ACE is going to be more then a liter bike like an R1. Which is crazy, since the R1 is nasty fast. However, for Progressive, the R1 is going to be a lot more then State Farm. So to prove my point, here are my rates:

2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750CC, $148 per year (Progressive)
2001 Yamaha R6 $211 per year (State Farm)

Jason

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i am a male, was looking into getting a gs500f 05, dont have car insurance ( dont worry, dont have a car eather ) taking the motorcycle safety course before i buy the bike and probably some of those other motorcycle classes they have ( depending on cash ) after i get the bike

·
Registered
760 Posts
bombing said:
well i am a male, was looking into getting a gs500f 05, dont have car insurance ( dont worry, dont have a car eather ) taking the motorcycle safety course before i buy the bike and probably some of those other motorcycle classes they have ( depending on cash ) after i get the bike
05 Why new or some what new? Go out and get a used Super Hawk from the 90s. You're going to drop it...not a question if, more like when.

J

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i like the gs500, maybe i can find a used one? or maybe another model like it? i was planning on keeping the bike for atleast a few years, and its affordable so i was planing on buying it new, plus its a good beginner bike so i have heard

·
Registered
123 Posts
$412 a year full coverage and the bike is paid for. Clean liscense minus a 56 mph over the speed limit ticket a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have progressive, which is probably the largest insurance carrier for motorcycles. I pay $273 a year for basic coverage.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
AEgeus said:
State Farm won't insure you unless you have a car under them too. (At least in Missouri)
That policy applies no matter what state you're in. When I was checking for insurance, State farm had the best rates for sportbikes like someone already mentioned. Progressive was a little bit more expensive but they came in 2nd. The next cheapest was Nationwide. The good thing about progressive is they dont require you have a car insured with them as well. I think that may be your best bet considering that youre not getting a super sport.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
That policy applies no matter what state you're in. When I was checking for insurance, State farm had the best rates for sportbikes like someone already mentioned. Progressive was a little bit more expensive but they came in 2nd. The next cheapest was Nationwide. The good thing about progressive is they dont require you have a car insured with them as well. I think that may be your best bet considering that youre not getting a super sport.
You right about progressive, you don't need your car insured with them. Allstate though will not insure sport bikes at all. At least that is what my Allstate agent told me??

·
Are we not men?
9,010 Posts
Check with Bikeline insurance by Markel. The best rates I could find in the area. I believe I'm paying $560/yr, full coverage.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i was getting insurance quotes, and the cheapest full coverage insurance i seen was around $400 a month!!!! so i just got liability insurance and UM insurance, and i am currently trying to get put on full-time at my work so i can get their health insurance benifits. with me being only 19 the insurance is outrageous!!

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
AAA $400/year for very full coverage. Includes multiple car and multiple policy discounts. I believe the cc cutoff for AAA is 700...lower rate for under, higher rate for over. They don't really cover accessories, not an issue with sportbikes so much, but I do not have the harley covered with them.

Harley is with Foremost for about $350/year.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
harleyxlc said:
AAA $400/year for very full coverage.
could i get that for that price at age 19 tho?

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
could i get that for that price at age 19 tho?
That would be a big no..... :)

Age 25 is normally an important cutoff with insurance companies, sometimes they have smaller drops at 21, 23 etc. At 19, you're gonna be paying...

·
Registered
264 Posts
State Farm, full coverage, $100 deductibles
I pay $89 per year

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Bike line is great. Just try it.. I quoted myself on 2000 f4i, f3, f2, yzf600r, and so many bikes and they never hit above $1100. Usually if they were a decent 90's 600cc bike, it would be around $600-800 ayear depending on the bike.

That is really good compared to GEICO and Progressive's bullshit quote for $4500/year. I had my motorcycle endorsement for about 1 month, younger than 20, single, not a homeowner, no cars insured with that company, and a 600cc bike. So, there you go.

Another one is the Mcgraw group. You gotta call for a quote but they do it fast. They said they can only give me liability for a couple years. But i think if you can pass these factors, they can give you comprehisve and collision. They said it was cause the bike is high powered, i dont have my license for 3 years and im not over 25. :( OH well..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts