Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there everybody new to this forum and first post... so anyway i live here in Nj where Insurance is through the roof and its very hard to find insurance companies to insure anybody in here (ex. progressive, geiko) so i wanted to know what everyone is paying for a 600cc bike. jsut wanted to know how much i would have to pay b/c my mom is not really into me having a motorcycle so i would have to pay for everything :mad: i was looking into a cbr600rr or a zx-6r and i am taking the MSF course next week and also have about 6500 saved up and dont know if i should wait till next year for the new bike or jsut go for a used 2000ish bike which i could learn on. but anyways i just wanted to know what insurance is like for all you ppl expecially if you live in New Jersey also if you can leave seme insurance companies that would insure me b/c im 18 and need some credit and everything... thanks everyone and ill be seeing you on this forum more and hopefully on the roads also :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Let's see.....18, never ridden, no credit, and wants a 600 sportbike......hmmmm, get ready for a shock, they may want all $6500 from you.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
+1 with Taz.... see if your parents will put it under their insurance. My house, auto's and bikes are insured under them same co. Saves me tons.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I was 17, never ridden, no credit, and got a 600 cc bike, and i pay $455/year with Rider Insurance company for liability only. None of the big companies insure motorcycles in New Jersey for some reason. Rider is the only way to go. Also, make sure you get your liscence before you try insuring your bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm thanks fizzer ill go check into that insurance company because i know there isnt alot of companies here in nj that does insure motorcycles, but i think that i will just go for a used bike that i could go practice on that for a while dont know if i should go for just a 250r or jsut find a bike around me... do u know anyone selling a bike by u fizzer??? and what are you talking about the 6500 for insurance is that for full coverage b/c thats like price of bike haha not cool

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
get a 250/500 and learn to ride, and the lower ins. is a side benfit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rider does seem to be the best rate in NJ.
Trust me, I've been looking... trying to see how much it would be to insure a FZ6
$968...

I live in Hoboken NJ and the FZ6 is a sport bike... deadly combo, but that's still the cheapest rate in the state that I've found.

I'm 34, and have been riding for 2 years....
NJ sucks!
Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
20 Years old, 04 gixxer 6, State farm, Full coverage w/o uninsured = 76 per month/ 912 a year. Not married.

Slightly expensive, but not really too bad. I have a clean record btw(knock on wood).

Get a 500 to knock around on for a year or two to get experience, and save on insurance for the time being.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm 22 not married, first bike 2003 F4i, had taken the MSF. I live in eastern NC and got my insurance through Harley-Davidson in Carson City, NV. They go through three insurance companys (Progressive, Foremost, & Alpha) to get you the best rate. They gave me quotes for full coverage and just liability. The best full coverage quote was from Progressive around $4600/year :flipa , liability w/ uninsured from Foremost was $130/year :headbang .

They have an 800 number (1-800-832-4449). Great service. Called them up and the same day I had my proof of insurance faxed to me. Only thing is that they require you to sign a contract before they insure you, but no big deal if your by a fax machine.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Did some juggling with the insurance today, $360 a year, 19 yrs old, had MC license since 17 with little credit history. That $360 is for full coverage by the way on my 2002 Honda CBR F4i. I have good student discount, MSF discount, as well as defensive driving.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Truck said:
Did some juggling with the insurance today, $360 a year, 19 yrs old, had MC license since 17 with little credit history. That $360 is for full coverage by the way on my 2002 Honda CBR F4i. I have good student discount, MSF discount, as well as defensive driving.

One who is through and second a 19 year old clean record for full coverage 360 a year, you have to be getting multi policy along with 18 other discounts.

I'm 20, married, wife has perfect record she's 21, I have an 03 600RR 2100 a year full coverage. Through progressive. They give a descent multi policy, I have 3 vehicles and a bike through them costs me 360 a month.

Best bet is to get a car insured through state farm then a bike, they are usually the best MC insurance rates around.

NJ insurance is so high because of the underwriters and the fact that your state has some of the worst driving records known to man... I'll never go there :cry

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
I'd really not like to go into detail on my insurance with bike over the board, but the company knows I ride the bike, but I am primary on my truck. As of lately, the truck sees 100% of my road time, damn bike hasnt passed DE inspection yet! Hopefully beginning of next week parts get here!

·
Registered
173 Posts
i dont think you are going to have any luck with your age and riding experience...hey you could get married then your insurance drops big time...but if i were you starting with a 600RR for your first bike id worry about getting a will done while you're at it...j/k...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea i been reading around this forumn and jsut decided to get a ninja... 500 dont worry or a sv650s which ever i find first for a good cost. i have been looking at the quotes from nj rider and it says like about 400 a year for just liability and i dont know if i should just get liability or go full out which will cost about 900 on a sv650 which is kinda eh with my budget. what does liabilty usually cover?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts