Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you insure these things, glad i called my ins co. was 10 minutes from buying an 04 R1, called my agent, got a quote of $4200, how do you do it

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If you're under 25 and/or have a few points, an R1 is about as bad as it gets. Some companies don't want to insure bikes, some are good about it, and some require you to have your cage with them as well. If your agent/company are otherwise fair-priced, find out how they rate bikes. Some companies go on displacement only, some put black marks next to "super sport" models. Some give a discount for the MSF course.

If you're not happy with your carrier anyway, shop around.

BTW, I pay about $600 a year (it's gone up lately) for full coverage.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Pay cash for your bike, and get liability + theft insurance. Collision coverage is always expensive as hell on bikes. That's why even when I'm 40 I won't ever get a loan on a bike. The quote for my 996 was like $3600 for full coverage, $800 for liability + theft, I don't need medical coverage, since I'm military and it's all covered anyways.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
yeah, shop around I've gotten quotes of over $4k for insurance but I am currently paying around $900 for full coverage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im 35 and pay $600/yr for my cruiser, i do want full coverage but the cheepest i saw on an R1 is $3500, any other suggestions, names of your ins. co. ?

·
Registered
501 Posts
state farm is the best, but you do have to have your car with them. if all else fails, pick another bike, or buy used.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Be a rebel don't insure it! No I'm kidding, but I think insurance is the biggest scam ever. I was going to buy a 99 ducky 900SS for about $6K and progressive want $3600 a year! I've taken two MSF courses (BRC and ERC) and that's with the 3 month deduction they give people in state's that you can't ride year round. Of course living in Alaska it's more like 5-6 months if your lucky enough for a late winter or early spring.

I'd love to start a nonprofit insurance company for bikers. I imagine we'd all pay way less if these insurance companies weren't trying to make their stock holder's billionare's.

Now I've a an SV650 and I'm paying 900 a year for liability + theft + under and uninsured coverage.

·
Registered
912 Posts
buy a different bike

·
Registered
205 Posts
I paid cash for my SV and I pay $100 a year with progressive, and its about to go down as my 1 ticket comes off in 4 months or something like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude, Im having the same problem. I'm trying to get an 04 R6. I'm 19, with 3 accidents (2 my fault) and I can't even GET insurance. Most of the places said they wouldn't even insure me.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
hirisq said:
Dude, Im having the same problem. I'm trying to get an 04 R6. I'm 19, with 3 accidents (2 my fault) and I can't even GET insurance. Most of the places said they wouldn't even insure me.
Wow, with your driving record maybe you should reconsider even getting a bike. Or at least get something smaller/older that they will insure you on. With you being so prone to accidents you may wanna think about your decision of getting a bike, especially a 2004 R6, what would be a minor accident in a car can be a major deal on a bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was paying 600 a year for my cruiser, but now my 919 is only costing me about 300 including theft. That may be because I got a discount for being in a "motorcycle club." Don't know what that has to do with anything, but I'll take it!

And I agree, just get liability and theft if you can manage it. Full coverage is quite spendy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MY BAD! 1-ONE-1 was my fault..not two. One was when some stupid ricer kid tried to take a left on a green light (no arrow) trying to beat the people with the right of way. The 2nd one was someone running a redlight. and the one that was my fault was being stupid when I was 16 and covering for my buddy who didn't have a license. I didnt even know it was on my record til this year...totally forgot about it. And it wasnt his fault...the other guy got charged worse (hit and run) but after filling out the police report, i guess they listed me at fault somehow? I never got a ticket though.

But the insurance company that i talked to last said that they dont care if the accidents are at fault ones or not...they count all of them.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
if you take the MSF course, you get 10% off on your insurance. Every one should start there any way. Better do some shopping around tho. That's ALOT for an 04 R6. But then again your prolly young. It's always more expensive when your young. I'm so glad Im old! :lol

·
Registered
681 Posts
hirisq said:
First bike...WRONG f'ng choice.....and they have good reason NOT to.

As to usmktmkr,
im 35 and pay $600/yr for my cruiser, i do want full coverage but the cheepest i saw on an R1 is $3500, any other suggestions, names of your ins. co. ?
Man, you're getting screwed! Unless, of course, you have a shitty record and piss poor credit.

My Mille cost me $283/yr for full coverage(highest limits) .....w/ State Farm.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
State Farm is the cheapest Motorcycle insurance company, if you have full coverage on a car through them I know my buddy has an FZ1 and pays 60/month for full coverage. I'm 21 with a crappy record and my 600RR "falls under the same hazard list as R1" is 2200 a year, same quote I got for full coverage on a 03 hayabusa, thing that kept me fromt he busa, 11000 price tag.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Or you could just move to WA state. They don't require motorcycles to have insurance.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Check with Progressive, full coverage for my CBR 1000F is around $800.00 yearly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree to check out Progressive, I pay $300 a year just for liability and theft, and I have a pretty bad record, shop around, you should be able to find something good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts