Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes you can. I had my Gixxer 600 covered before I got my endorsement. Be prepared for a BIG insurance quote! :a2

[EDIT] Forgot to add that I DID have my motorcycle permit though. I definitely would not recommend riding at all if you don't at least have that!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think that if you were in an accident, they will deny coverage since you were not legally licensed to drive anyways. They should cover for theft, fire, etc. though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
hyabusa said:
As the title states can you get a bike covered with out having the m endorsement?
Well, yes and no. I shouldn't need to state the obvious that if you are riding a motorcycle on the street without a permit or a Class M, you are riding it illegally.

For purposes of insurance, a permit qualifies as an endorsement since it gives you the legal right (in the State's eyes) to ride the motorcycle. Insurance goes with the bike, not the rider. So you can insure the bike without an endorsement. However, some companies (such as mine) will quietly ask if you have an endorsement or a permit. If you lie on that question, it won't hurt you until you get into a wreck. At which point, the truth comes out and the insurance company can and will deny your claim.

The same goes if you don't tell them if they don't ask. You are obligated to be in legal compliance in operating any vehicle and insurance can deny payment if you are not. If they do pay in such circumstances, it will probably be the last claim you'll ever make since the insurance costs for you go through the roof at that point.

Is this a hypothetical or are you planning (or currently) riding without an endorsement? If so, at a minimum, go get a learner's permit and work towards an endorsement. The permit will at least make you legal. Otherwise, get off the road since you don't belong there. It is a major pet peeve of mine to see unlicensed operators (of any vehicle) on the road. They don't belong there since they are breaking the law.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Geico covered me without an "M" endorsement. A few months later, I was hit by van, and his insurance covered my bike even though I didn't have a license. I paid my fifty dollar ticket for riding without an endorsement then took the time to pass the test.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
Powder said:
I think that if you were in an accident, they will deny coverage since you were not legally licensed to drive anyways. They should cover for theft, fire, etc. though.

WTF are you rambling about. If you have a permit you can legally ride and I dont see anything that said he wasnt licensed to drive..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ordie said:
WTF are you rambling about. If you have a permit you can legally ride and I dont see anything that said he wasnt licensed to drive..
The original question was: "As the title states can you get a bike covered with out having the m endorsement?". He doesn't say anything about having the temp. permit to ride.

Chill out dude!

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
exactly, he asked about getting insurance without an "M" endorsement... nothing about permit, fire, theft.....

Your assuming......maybe you should have asked if he had his permit before throwing out your statement..

Why does everyone read too far into things?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts