Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let a friend ride my bike, and he crashed it into a parked car. The owner of the car had damage assessments done at a few shops, the cheapest of which being $2900. The owner of the car agreed to try and settle without involving my insurance company, which I appreciate.

Now, my friend Jason did not have a motorcycle license or permit, I have only a permit, and my bike has only liability coverage. Jason agreed to pay for the damage to the car as well as my bike, which I bought for $1600. I've invested a few hundred dollars in it since then, so I'll say $1700 and we're ok. Here's where it gets trickier: He wants me to find out how much it would be to use my insurance to pay for the car and then have him compensate for whatever my premiums increase to for however long this would stay on my record. I'm not sure if i want to call my insurance company at this point because I don't know if they'll jump on me when I ask how much this would cost. Would they up my premiums if they only KNEW about the accident, or do I have to make the claim?

Also, if I can claim this, will the accident affect my auto insurance? If it does, I don't think that making the claim would be cheaper.

I'm not even sure my insurance will be willing to dish out for this guy's car because I wasn't the one riding the bike.

A little off topic: Do all insurance companies make you buy moto insurance for a year at a time? Progressive wouldnt let me insure the bike for only the summer, I had to pay for a whole year. It was only $170, so I just went ahead and did it, and I'd be covered for half of next year too. JW if i was screwed by my ignorance.

Feel free to ask q's if I've left anything out, I'll be keeping an eye on the thread for a few hours. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Your screwed no matter what you do. I would contact your insurance Co about it. You have no choice because it sounds like your friend is not going to pay up.
NEVER NEVER NEVER let someone ride your bike, you can end up with major finincial repercussions if it is crashed or if the rider is hurt!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious, why would you say that? I'm pretty sure he'll pay up.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just don't tell them your friend was riding, but, even if they do know he was, they still would have to pay for the guys car, liability insurance covers ANYONE driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I wouldn't call my insurance company it is his fault *and yours* for crashing into the car. If he can't pay for them to get fixed then he needs to take out a loan or something.

I'd be pissed if my friend did that and actaully told me to my face to call my insurance company.....whose to say he will pay those increases?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I think you have two choices:
Keep it totally away from the insurance carrier and have your "friend" pay up.
Or go to the insurance company with the whole truth.
DO NOT go to your insurance company with anything but the whole truth. Insurance fraud is not funny to them and is a crime. (Just in case this was an option you were considering). If you tell the insurance company about damage to the parked car, they're going to ask you about damage to your bike.

Insurance goes with the vehicle as long as anyone else driving has your permission (but check your policy, there may be exceptions and reasons why it's so cheap). The fact that your friend is unlicensed may complicate this and give your insurance company a reason to deny payment if they can prove that you knew he was unlicensed. If they decide to pay, your premiums will likely go up for some time (maybe for years and maybe WAY up at first). If you're the listed driver on an auto policy as well, that premium may go up too. Unfortunately, the only way to find out for sure is to ask them.

Expensive but important lessons here. You're really lucky that no one was hurt. That would get MESSY.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You need to see if your friend can come up with the cash quick. He has to pay either way. If you go through the insurance company, they are going to raise your rates, possibly deny the claim (and further coverage), and cause you lots of headaches. Maybe the two of your should combine your funds and pay off the damage to the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have farmers, the way it works w/ them is it stays on record for 3 yrs. however, the bike rate wouldn't go up but instead the car rate would (farmers wont insure a motorcycle w/out a car).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I guess you could try calling your insurance company and give them your age, etc, without saying who you are. Tell them you have one accident and compare the quote they give you to your actual quote.

I know people who pay their insurance one month at a time, so I'd say you don't *have* to pay a year up-front. I also know my insurance company says they really only charge for nine months and figure I won't ride in the winter.

Finally, I imagine your car insurance will go up as well as your bike. They generally look at your record and don't care if it's on a bike or on a car.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you report it to insurance it will affect your rates! No doubt about it. I am an atty at a major ins co.-trust me on this.

Have your friend get a loan and pay you and then he owed payments to the bank and not you. Also-maybe give him the f'd up bike since he should have a right to the salvage. Maybe he can sell it for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i am an insurance agent for a big insurance company( we cater to the military). if you were with us, your insurance wouldn't go up. you weren't the operator of the vehicle/motorcycle. his insurance would find out and his premiums would go up. i could go into more detail about that, but it's his premiums not yours. let him worry about it. ** now if you don't tell your insurance and you decide to pay out of pocket, he might come back later and try to claim something else. sounds absurd, but it happens quite often. and because you've already paid him, you've violated your insurance contract and now your insurance won't pay this new amount either. by the way, read your contract, you are required to report every loss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
as far as 'scotty' is concerned. the 25 states i have licenses in won't allow any insurance company to increase rates on a particular consumer if they weren't the operator of the vehicle. plus the payout of the claim has to exceed the state's threshold. ** but i do go gaurantee your insurance company will subrogate with your friends insurance company (your insurance will try to get it's money back in way or another, either from your friend or his insurance)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts