Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much does insurance generally run down here for full coverage? I plan to ride my bike everyday that weather permits to and from work. I am with GEICO right now for auto insurance if that makes a difference.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Well I'm sure it's different for different people, but for me (23 y/o male 100% spotless driving record) GEICO wanted close to $10,000/year for my bike for full coverage!! :eek: Many will suggest State Farm as they rate bikes by CC size rather than what type of bike it is, meaning you'd pay the same for a 600cc sportbike as you would a 600cc cruiser (if there is one, lol). I checked with State Farm and they were still kinda high, but you get a discount if you also insure your car with them. They still wanted more than I was already paying in insurance for my cage so it didn't really help much. For me Progressive was the cheapest. I already have my cage with them, and the bike they were around $2000/year for everything minus collision. The collision adds ALOT to the premium though..... theft is what I'm more worried about, so for now PIP and comp works for me

·
Registered
238 Posts
mine is always garaged... I leave the bike in and park the bimmer outside lol funny how I care mroe about the bike than my 5er. eh... well cared... now I gotta get it fixed... hurts me to walk into the garage and see it like thtat... oh well insurance people should call me on tuesday

·
Registered
302 Posts
State Farm has been always the cheapest, but they have stricter rules than Progressive, Geico, etc. If you can get State Farm... it'll be cheap as hell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think State Farm will do a bike by itself, you are going to have to put a cage with it. State Farm has no medical, it only covers the bike. If you'd like more detailed info, pm me and I'll give you the name and number of the insurance guy I deal with he's in Plantation. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
KAOS KREW said:
I don't think State Farm will do a bike by itself, you are going to have to put a cage with it. State Farm has no medical, it only covers the bike. If you'd like more detailed info, pm me and I'll give you the name and number of the insurance guy I deal with he's in Plantation. :)

i have my car, bike and medical with SF.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The best quote I got was $2200 for full insurance, and the worst was about $12000. It doesn't help at all that I live in Dade. I went with just liability (upped the coverage a little and included coverage for passengers as well) from Progressive, $260 a year.

I refuse to pay $2000 a year for a $4000 bike. Instead I'll just put the money away and if I ever wad the bike up, the money will go to repair or replacement. I should say that I have full medical through work, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
fotocycle said:
I refuse to pay $2000 a year for a $4000 bike. Instead I'll just put the money away and if I ever wad the bike up, the money will go to repair or replacement. I should say that I have full medical through work, though.
A lot of folks feel the same way. I was at Rick Case the other day and I was talking to guy buying a 600RR. After qualifying for the financing he said that the monthly insurance payment was more than the bike. :2eek . He ended up leaving to think about it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If financing a bike most places want/require insurance...the trick is if you own your bike should you get insurance or not. I believe Yamaha has insurance "built in" to their financing...so you don't have to get insurance above and beyond...I am not sure what it pays should you get in an accidient or total the bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
thirdgenlxi said:
Well I'm sure it's different for different people, but for me (23 y/o male 100% spotless driving record) GEICO wanted close to $10,000/year for my bike for full coverage!!
$10,000?? Holy Sh*t!! That's a liter bike a year, or about $840 a month. You could be driving a Porsche for that. I was paying around $220 a month going straight through Progressive. I got sick of that and found an insurance agent that got me down to around $80 a month still from Progressive. So shop around through some agents and compare.

·
Registered
820 Posts
State Farm is ~$40 a month for full coverage on the R6. If drops to ~$22 a month if you get rid of the uninsured motorist coverage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
thirdgenlxi said:
Well I'm sure it's different for different people, but for me (23 y/o male 100% spotless driving record) GEICO wanted close to $10,000/year for my bike for full coverage!! :eek:QUOTE]

I bet that is with medical. That is why State Farm does not have medical included in their premiums with bikes. I own my bike outright and I still have full coverage, just in case "Mr. Murphy" comes a knockin'. :D

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Damn! And I thought I was paying a lot though the Geco (Geico) full coverage $434 a year!!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I have my car with State Farm, I need to go & get an estimate for my bike :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Progressive wants $9800/yr to insure my 750 ... but I got nailed for speeding up in north florida less than 3yrs ago.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts