Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is insurance going to be really high for a 17 year old looking to get a Ninja 250? I haven't had any accidents or tickets. My insurance right now for my car is through Grinnell.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, seeing as how car insurance rates for a 17 year is generally fairly high, I would assume motorcycle insurance would be as high if not higher. The best place to check out would be with your local insurance agent, if you don't want to go that route progressive.com has a pretty good online quoting system. Some say they are expensive, but for me I pay only about $45/month for liability on my bike with a criminal speeding ticket at 20 years old.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm not sure if that will lower your insurance rate, you might as well call an agent to find out for sure. But, I doubt it'll have a dramatic change because the age when that happens is when you're 25 or married (assuming you have a clean driving/riding record). My suggestion to you, in order to keep costs down, is to buy a used 250 and buy liability insurance for it. I'm not sure if that was what you're planning, but if you wants to save money that is the way to go. Also some insurance companies offer discounts to MSF graduates (motorcycle beginning rider school) and sometimes to AMA members (American Motorcyclist Association). Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think that I Ninja 250 would be that bad insurance wise. I reccomend contacting State Farm, they rate purley on engine size for Liability so you should be looking at no more than $250-350 Yearly for liab with a good record. Otherwise progressive is good too for us younger riders

·
Registered
981 Posts
insurance doesnt drop for us till we turn 24 (or is it 23?). but generally going from 17 to 18 there isnt a drop. (there was never one for me). a 250 shouldnt be too high, but depends on the year. i pay 68/mo through farmers with all of my discounts for just liability on my 98 500R. even though a 250 is just a 250, it will still be classified as a "race bike" and therefore they like to rape u for it regardless.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Insurance

i would agree with the others the only thing that will really affect your insurance since you are 17 is the cc and bike type a(and your driving record). If you were to get a larger bike your premium would jump significantly, my advise stay away from getting tickets or you will be kissing that bike bye bye as you won't be able to afford the insurance hikes.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Pay cash and just get minimum liability-shouldnt be too bad.

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
Progressive classified my R6 as a "High Perofrmance" motorcycle and proceeded to stick their hand in my wallet.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
But even with high performance- my zx12 is only $120/year with 100/300K limits

·
Registered
522 Posts
$120/year for a ZX-12R? You must be at least over 25, I wish I could get those rates right now.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My total premium is $250/year but that includes comp and liability. The 120 is just liability. How did I pul it off? DUno State Farm was uoting $190/year FUll coverage but since I let my insurance lapse over last winter they wouldn;t write me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
scotty said:
My total premium is $250/year but that includes comp and liability. The 120 is just liability. How did I pul it off? DUno State Farm was uoting $190/year FUll coverage but since I let my insurance lapse over last winter they wouldn;t write me.
damn...how old r u?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Whereas, I pay $74/mo. and am 31 years old. Of course, it was $101 a month last year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts