Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered an engine guard for my '05 FZ6 from twistedthrottle.com and it arrived yesterday. We installed it last night, took aprox. 45 min. and looks great. The only draw back will be for oil changes, but I'll let the mechanics worry about that.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
snap off a shot of the area around the oil filter, I'd like to see that.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I don't mean to be critical but that doesn't look like it's going to help too much in a crash...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Additional Pics

Here are some closer views. My hubby and I were just talking about the additional sliders, but my understanding was that I couldn't use the sliders with the engine guard. I guess we'll find out when I try to mount sliders in addition to the guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Nice addition.

From what I understand and see, this engine guard and conventional sliders are exclusive of each other in installation: one or the other.

The engine guard is durable during a crash; it will remain in place much better than a slider. On impact it is supported by 4 bolts, compared to a single bolt for a frame slider. It is more limited to protecting only the engine casing.

The frame sliders are more fragile during a crash; they often bend over under more severe conditions and may even break off. This is what I have, and in my mild lowslide on the track the slider worked perfectly. It took the brunt of the impact, abrased about 1 cm of delrin from its end, but also snapped (but stay in place momentarily). If the track surface was rougher (say a ridge in a road, etc), I would have lost the slider and succumbed to cosmetic engine damage.

The advantage of a slider over a guard is that they often protrude farther out, and so can prop up the laid bike higher and help safe other components.

IMHO, both systems are good but different.

(A neat thing about the engine guard is you can easily fit highway pegs to it.)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Is that a rashed generator cover I see? Do you intend to replace it as well? I mean, your engine guard should be guarding something shiny, no? :)

As far as the oil filter, no worries. Looks like a pipe clamp-style filter remover will get the job done without any problem.

Frame sliders come with a bolt that is only long enough to bolt the slider right onto the frame. With your engine guard on there the bolt won't be long enough. You might get a few threads in but it won't have the right holding power. Unless you find a slider specifically design for this guard, forget it. Just enjoy the guard as is. Safe riding!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Kneedragger said:
Is that a rashed generator cover I see? Do you intend to replace it as well? I mean, your engine guard should be guarding something shiny, no? :)

As far as the oil filter, no worries. Looks like a pipe clamp-style filter remover will get the job done without any problem.

Frame sliders come with a bolt that is only long enough to bolt the slider right onto the frame. With your engine guard on there the bolt won't be long enough. You might get a few threads in but it won't have the right holding power. Unless you find a slider specifically design for this guard, forget it. Just enjoy the guard as is. Safe riding!

it looks like what my friends that a moto bike copper has on his bike, should be sturdy but I would def. put rear sliders and the axle post made by crazymofo, helped when I dropped my bike cause my feet slide on the garage floor :bitchslap but looks like its covering the side plenty good :beer

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have them. They work quite well. I road tested them a couple of times :D No damage to the engine, swingarm, or frame.

-Q

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sry to post on old thread but has anyone realy crash with them? They look like they would make the whole bike like top heavy in a crash making the bike slide on the tank and fairing, Cant you just get a longer bolt and put the bars on with a slider?

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
If you make the slider assembly stick out too far from the frame you risk tearing out the threads on the engine or snapping the frame in a crash. And it is likely that the barends/mirrors would take the brunt of the upper impact

·
DISTURBED
15 Posts
Crash Bars

Thanks to 'hooked_fz6' I recently got the same bars for my FZ6. I did have a little difficulty installing them. The cross piece did not match up perfectly so I had to flex it while sliding the coupler in place. A little of the paint got scrapped off but I think things will work OK.

SW Motech is about the only place that commercially makes bars for the FZ6. I did notice that the Yamaha Euro site offers crash bars similar to SW Motech's but a bit flimsier looking.

I also got the handlebar risers from Twisted Throttle; they're made by the same company that makes the bars. The risres give you about 1 1/2" back and up. It helps with the Corbin seat I got, which sits you back & down a little more.

:)

·
Born Again Rocker
887 Posts
qualdoth said:
I have them. They work quite well. I road tested them a couple of times :D No damage to the engine, swingarm, or frame.

-Q
That is a good recomendation, they look a lot more streamlined than the sliders, you could add swingarm sliders for completeness.

·
DISTURBED
15 Posts
Swingarm Sliders

Sorry, been busy and just checked the forum.

I was thinking the same thing about adding swingarm sliders to compliment the crash-bars. I've seen a picture of an FZ6 laid over on the crash-bars and the swingarm looks like it clears the ground so I'm not sure sliders are necessary.

It's going to take some custom work to mount rear sliders. There are no mounting holes on the swingarm and I don't want to go drilling on it. The rear axle is a tube, not a solid bar. Another problem is that the axle has a larger hole on the right side.

I'm working on a stainless steel tube with tapped rod TIG welded to the ends to mount the sliders to. I'm going to have to do some lathe work to get the ends right to fit good inside the axle. Using tubing will keep the weight down and I will not have to worry about rust with stainless.

:)

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
rdy2rd said:
I have the same guards with footpegs. It feels like a different bike
my old knees need this setup. do you have pics? i'd like to see something showcasing the footpegs specifically... also, in dec i'm moving back down to delaware. where in de do you live? maybe we can get a ride together?

as per a previous post, i too have installed the sw-motech bar risers/barbacks. i have yet to ride with them, but i'm sure it will help in the back and wrist department.

apor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts