Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just wanted to know if a regular helmet with graphics would pass an inspection on the bike. because what i heard was that the dmv is really picky about having those 4 peices of reflective tape on the sides of your helmet. any alteratives to this because i do not wanna ruin my precious helmet by pasting these on it (that is if it will not pass inspection already)

·
Registered
584 Posts
inspection for a helmet? what for? am I missing something? :dunno

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah.. I've never heard of them inspecting your helmet, and if it's DOT and SNELL approved I would think it would pass. If not just buy a skull cap really cheap and put reflective tape over every painted surface.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
because even in the msf course they were talking about how all riders are to wear the 4 peices of refelective tape in order for night riding... and the dude that is selling me his bike is saying how some dmvs here in nj are being hard a$$es about having this on your helmet, thats y i wanted to know if it is manditory to have it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Around here, it isn't unknown for the DMV to fail you for not having reflective tape on your lid...

So I bought a roll of reflective tape at Aerostitch, applied a strip around the base of my helmet, and trimmed it so it followed the graphics near the chin. Doesn't look half bad, either. The tape is 2" wide, so I cut it in half lengthwise before I put it on.

A riding buddy took that a step further and trimmed reflective tape in the exact shape of his lid's silver/white graphics. You'd hardly know it's there unless you were looking for it.

Anyways, here's what mine looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I never heard of this :dunno And I've been riding 35 years. I always put reflective tape on my helmet, just for better visiblity at night. What I do is I buy 2" wide reflective tape, then lay out patterns that work with the helmet graphics, cut them out and apply, if your good, they blend with the helmet graphics and you get the safety factory too. Also, Krylon makes a spray paint called "Reflect-a-lite" it's totally clear, but when light hits it, it reflects, you can spray your helmet with that, I haven't tried it, but it's available thru Grainger.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I saw in the back of a couple mags a thing called the Halo or Helmet Halo...I'll try to find the link... it was an elasic band that went arround the bottom edge of your helmet and provided 360 degrees of reflection... I've thought about this cause the military is a pain also about having reflection... they actually make you wear one of those Bright Orange reflective vests on base!...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wasnt sure if i needed it or not because i dont wanna make another trip to the dmv when i can be riding the twisties(hehe not yet) but i guess that halo thing would work because i dont wanna desicrate my beautiful helmet feels jsut wrong to hurt that poor thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts