Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Georgia. In order to get my title from "salvage" to "salvage-repaired"(not "rebuilt since no major components have been replaced) I have to get my bike:

1. repaired by a certified rebuilder, either take it to a private state certified inspector, or wait for the inspector to come to it(6weeks) :pisson

2. The bike was repaired by a friend and myself, so I will have to find a certified rebuilder to "finish" it, and get his signature.

3. pay $118 and submit title app, rebuild cert, salvage title, at time of inspection

So heres my questions:
How detailed are the inspectors?
Do they care if the muffler is loud (D&D on a Ninja 750)?
Do they care how well it runs?
Can they be bribed? just kidding.... or am I? :bitchslap (obviously dependant on the worker, lol)

The bike does not leak, and is not oily. I replaced the electronics, chain/sprockets, brake pads, tires, upper fairing, blinkers, mirrors, radiator hoses, several seals/gaskets, rebuilt the front forks.

I am about to strip it down to do a valve job, and I would love to get it inspected before doing the valve job, but my number 1 and 4 cylinders foul out after about 30-50 miles. I could put clean plugs in it just for the inspection, but if they foul for some reason during the inspection, and I fail, thats $118 out the door, and I have to pay it every inspection. :rolleyes

I know these places might differ depending on whose running it. Has anyone had any experience with these inspections?

The bike is definetely road worthy(minus the valve problems), not quite 100% complete to my standards, but safe to ride. I am still waiting on my other headlight, and the upper stay bracket was custom fit from another bike, needs to be smoothed out to look... not so "rigged", but it is sturdy. Wow, this got long, sorry, if anyone is still reading, I appreciate any input on the inspection details. :cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Believe it or not, the main reason that rebuilt bikes are inspected, is to verify that there are no stolen parts - this is certainly the case in Florida. Obviously, laws vary from state to state, but there should also be a box you can check to state that YOU are the builder, as this too is common. The best course of action is to make sure that the bike at least LOOKS roadworthy, arrange the inspection, and get as many receipts for replaced parts as possible - like you say, as there are no major components, this should be a relatively straightforward process.

Just be cool with the inspector, don't act like a jerk, look presentable, and you should be fine. On my F4i, they never even took it off the truck, let alone tried to start it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I know in ohio the inspection is done by the highway patrol and all they do is make sure all your lights are there and work, and just general condition like your tires have tread and it doesnt look like its about to fall apart

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just rebuilt a salvaged 929 I bought and had it inspected in ohio. I was really anxious about the inspection and had receipts for everything but in the end the inspector asked what I had replaced, started the bike, ran the vins and that was pretty much it. In total the process took all of 10 minutes.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
My friend says it easy. take it to the highway patrol, and if you have everything needed then it's good. (Turn signal and what not.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts