Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yeah I was just about to say that it looks like a throttle on a fourwheeler. Maybe I'm a pussy, but after 2 hours on a quad my thumb would hurt from modulating the throttle. Hopefully this is different and won't cause that.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Yeah that definitely isn't a new design/innovation of any form. And I can promise while hanging off a sportbike that thing is a no go for most riders. The twist throttle wasn't a hastily invented idea

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
That isn't quite the same as a standard thumb throttle, but really it's just a more ergonomic looking lever. I agree with the rest, a thumb throttle wears you out and really doesn't have any place on a bike. They put them on quads because the motion of steering a quad has a tendency to roll you on or off of a twist throttle. Bikes dont have this problem. If twist grips were a problem every race bike in the world wouldn't have one.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Which can happen on a dirtbike, and a streetbike as well. Bikes DO have the same problem. In fact, the old Ninja 250, has MORE range of motion than an ATV. I've ridden both.

You shouldn't be riding an ATV if you aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always assumed ATV thumb throttles were catering to the lowest common denominator.As idiot proof as possible as it were.....

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Its really because of how the steering works. It takes a lot of force to move the bars on an atv. I don't think I've ever seen an atv with a twist throttle.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
On an ATV you move the bars A LOT to steer. You have to. On a bike you lean. Watch any onboard video and you'll notice that the bars hardly move at all except at very low speeds. THIS is why twist throttle on an ATV doesn't work. Turn left on an ATV and the natural movement causes you to twist the throttle. Turning left on a bike is a matter of leaning, your arm position doesn't even have to change at all. The fact that you dont understand the difference in how these two vehicles steer makes me wonder how many times you have ridden an ATV.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I always assumed ATV thumb throttles were catering to the lowest common denominator.As idiot proof as possible as it were.....
Even custom built racing ATVs almost always have a thumb throttle, and it's not because converting to a twist throttle is difficult or expensive.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
The answer to the question nobody's ever asked.

Idi anyone see the price?! For a thumb throttle?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On an ATV you move the bars A LOT to steer. You have to. On a bike you lean. Watch any onboard video and you'll notice that the bars hardly move at all except at very low speeds. THIS is why twist throttle on an ATV doesn't work. Turn left on an ATV and the natural movement causes you to twist the throttle. Turning left on a bike is a matter of leaning, your arm position doesn't even have to change at all. The fact that you dont understand the difference in how these two vehicles steer makes me wonder how many times you have ridden an ATV.
ATV,Snowmobile,Street and Dirt for me.Granted,I move the bars less on a streetbike than an ATV but on the other hand,I move the bars on a dirt bike alot-esp in the woods,hare scrambles and such and have never had an issue nor wished for a thumb throttle.Never heard anyone else suggest it either.
I'd say I move the bars more on the dirt bike in these conditions than ATV and have far more radical body position changes in relation to hand/arm position on the throttle as well.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
There is only 1 FACT here, if you aren't paying enough attention to the throttle, you don't need to be riding an ATV. But I agree with Ford, lowest common denominator. 5 yr old kids can easily ride an atv.

stnkbg1 said:
Is this your "professional" opinion? Or expert analysis? You are forgetting low speed steering on a bike, which causes you to steer A LOT. I've ridden Kawasaki Bayou 300s, Honda Foreman 300s, Honda FourTrax 250 and a Honda Grizzly 500.

Even custom built racing ATVs almost always have a thumb throttle, and it's not because converting to a twist throttle is difficult or expensive.

Was watching GRR TV (Grass Roots Racing) on MAV Tv just today, 16 and under groups. They were at Glen Helen Raceway, would you like to guess their favorite throttle? I counted NO LESS, than 6 had twist throttle.

:zombie2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts