Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First in this forum. :)

Dropped my bike off this morning for it's 600 mi service, it's taken 4 hours so far... I wonder what the heck they're doing to it. I mentioned to the techs about the "rattle" issue being discussed in another thread. I'll let you guys know what they say about it after they give the bike back.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Be prepared for a $180 oil change.

I do ALL my own motorcycle maintenance & repair.

·
I like white pants
865 Posts
I didnt bother either. I did the oil change, chain, and checked to make sure all the bolts where still around and saved myself 150 bucks

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first bike, I'll start doing service on it when it's a bit older - it took me a while to get comfortable with taking my 99 Taurus SE apart. Give it time guys, I know it's a rip off but I'm still nervous about her. :)

About the engine rattle, the techs say it's completely normal.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
ejworthen said:
If you do your own service you save a ton of money and you know the job was done right.

Unfortunately, there's somethings that I wouldn't know that they were done right if I did do them myself! :rolleyes Those are the things I pay for. I paid to have the first service done (minus the oil change, which I did myself) because I was unfamiliar with the bike and wanted to be sure that everything was as it should be. The dealer won't see it again until the 8,000 mile service which I will probably take it in for just to be sure that everything is alright. Then again I could change my mind before then. :lol I've done a fair amount of wrenching on cars and never screwed anything up, but it just seems much more critical on a bike that things are done right.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I paid for the 600-mile service because I wanted to be absolutely sure there were no problems. I'll probably do my own oil changes in the future.

·
Registered
98 Posts
During the 2 year warranty period in the UK we pretty much have to have the bike serviced at the dealership..... :mad: If we don't we run the risk of the warranty not being honoured. Typical....

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys get a 2 year warranty when we're stuck with a 1 year one? Don't complain about having to bring it to the dealer. :)

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Geez dude, go polish the silverware. ;-) They're watching it sit in the parking lot while they work on: a breakfast sandwich, what they left last night, the jobs that make more money, lunch, shooting the breeze after lunch, and then your bike. Or maybe the Snap-On truck will come before they get to it.

Just because you brought it in this morning doesn't mean everything stopped in the shop. Relax. There is nothing to the service and it'll probably be done by 5. You have to remember that your bike is just a job.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A $180 oil change better be like like a pit stop at the track. :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Do yourself a favor and check all of your fasteners with a torque wrench when you get the bike back. That's one of the checks on every service, but my dealer skipped it (lots of others seem to, too).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts