Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was in the local Ducati / Aprilla dealership yesterday afternoon. I think I've been lured into an entirely different league of motorcycling.

I've taken to the 848. There is no way I need anything with any more displacement. It's plenty for my weight and riding skill. It's a sexy machine. And it's available in my favorite color.....RED.

I'm trying to justify the price, $13K but initially it seems like a no brainer.

It comes with so many parts stock that I would feel like I would want to upgrade on say a Suzuki or Yamaha that I might as well just pay for the upgrades now and save myself the time.

I'm guessing insurance will be a bit higher.

Maintenance costs will be a bit higher.

The Ducati warranty is better.

I want the sport rider that's on the bike not every other swingin dick on the planet has.

What am I missing or overlooking?

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
i've heard pretty good things about the 848, but i'm an Ape man so i gotta tell ya to look at them too

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the Aprilia's when I was there. But I'm pretty much a race replica kind of guy and I only saw liter bikes in their lineup.

I don't need or want a liter bike.

I'm about 165 lbs soaking wet, love to go fast and pretty sure I'd kill myself on a 1000.

There, I said it.

·
Prickly Pear
7,619 Posts
I can't think of anything bad to say about the 848 (other than the rumored homing device installed in all Ducatis that takes them back to the shop*). I'd love to have one.

*And I can make that joke, I have a Moto Guzzi. They have the same device. :lol

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't think of anything bad to say about the 848 (other than the rumored homing device installed in all Ducatis that takes them back to the shop*). I'd love to have one.

Well it's either a Ducati an Aprilia or another Suzuki.

Something begger than a 600 but not a 1000.

Few choices that seem to make much sense to me as far as upgrading from a 600 and getting something "different".

·
Prickly Pear
7,619 Posts
I think you'll love an 848 and it's the only bike I'd really consider in the cc range you're looking at, except for, perhaps, the Aprilia Shiver. I'm pretty sure you'd find a Guzzi Breva 750 bovine, if comfortable, and not at all what you're looking for.

While it's a litre bike you might try out a 1050 Speed Triple as well. When folks say they're looking for something 'different' it's a bike I always recommend taking a test ride on. Triumph also has the Street Triple, which a lot of people have absolutely raved about, and it's 675cc.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
So I was in the local Ducati / Aprilla dealership yesterday afternoon. I think I've been lured into an entirely different league of motorcycling.

I've taken to the 848. There is no way I need anything with any more displacement. It's plenty for my weight and riding skill. It's a sexy machine. And it's available in my favorite color.....RED.

I'm trying to justify the price, $13K but initially it seems like a no brainer.

It comes with so many parts stock that I would feel like I would want to upgrade on say a Suzuki or Yamaha that I might as well just pay for the upgrades now and save myself the time.

I'm guessing insurance will be a bit higher.

Maintenance costs will be a bit higher.

The Ducati warranty is better.

I want the sport rider that's on the bike not every other swingin dick on the planet has.

What am I missing or overlooking?
i cant say enough about my 848. I came off a Harley (no eggs plz) and then a GSXR600. The feel of this ride is truly holy. I get tons of looks on this sexy ride. I changed the sprocket from a 15T to 14T for quicker acceleration. Its so confidence inspiring too though a little less comfortable than my GSXR. I like riding something very uniquire. you have stated well that its a new league of bike.....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

I have not had 1 single solitary problem with mine since April 2008.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not had 1 single solitary problem with mine since April 2008.

Riding with the GLOCK!

How many miles since April 2008?

Tell me more! Dude I'm coming off a GSXR 600 which I love but looking for a bit more grunt without all the revs.

Love the comfort of the GSXR.

Any other upgrades? I see carbon exhaust was that stock?

Any regrets?

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
i think your insurance may actually be lower, since the average Ducati SBk rider is a bit more mature than you average gixxah ryder

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
I looked at the Aprilia's when I was there. But I'm pretty much a race replica kind of guy and I only saw liter bikes in their lineup.

I don't need or want a liter bike.

I'm about 165 lbs soaking wet, love to go fast and pretty sure I'd kill myself on a 1000.

There, I said it.
the ducati actually makes better HP and TQ numbers than the ape. it's a 1000, but it hasn't changed much since 04.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think your insurance may actually be lower, since the average Ducati SBk rider is a bit more mature than you average gixxah ryder
It'd be hard to beat my insurance rates.

I'm 44, married with kids, homeowner, haven't had a ticket in like 12 years, MSF graduate.....AND I'm using Dairyland Cycle Insurance, they were the cheapest by far.

I think I pay like $42 a month for full coverage with well above minimum coverage.

It's gotta be higher with a $13K bike as opposed to a $9K bike.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Well it's either a Ducati an Aprilia or another Suzuki.

Something begger than a 600 but not a 1000.

Few choices that seem to make much sense to me as far as upgrading from a 600 and getting something "different".
675?

i like the 848 too but cannot justify getting one. good luck.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
It'd be hard to beat my insurance rates.

I'm 44, married with kids, homeowner, haven't had a ticket in like 12 years, MSF graduate.....AND I'm using Dairyland Cycle Insurance, they were the cheapest by far.

I think I pay like $42 a month for full coverage with well above minimum coverage.

It's gotta be higher with a $13K bike as opposed to a $9K bike.
i don't think purchase price is as important as accident and theft statistics. but then again, i do not work in an insurance agency. zoro, did your insurance go up when you went from a gsxr600 to the 848?

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

You talking about the Triumph 675?

If so I do like it, but there are no dealers in the area that I know of.

Ducati/Aprilia dealer like 10 miles from my house.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i don't think purchase price is as important as accident and theft statistics.

I think you're right.

zoro, did your insurance go up when you went from a gsxr600 to the 848?

Duh, why didn't I think of asking that question. He went from the same bike I have now to the one I want..... :nerd

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
You talking about the Triumph 675?

If so I do like it, but there are no dealers in the area that I know of.

Ducati/Aprilia dealer like 10 miles from my house.
gotcha. i like the fact that the gsxr comes in a 750 but i kind of don't like its design. the 848 is much more appealing.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Found a Triumph dealer about 20 minutes from my house.

I will have to go take a look at the new 09' 675. It sure is getting some good review.

The 848 is still the one that does it for me. It's a money thing that's holding me back.

I just cannot justify any debt on a toy for me and me alone. Have to pay cash. Can get a new 675 and ALL new TOP SHELF gear for the price of just the 848.

Nothing else is a Ducati though. And that 848 is a SEXY beast.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Found a Triumph dealer about 20 minutes from my house.

I will have to go take a look at the new 09' 675. It sure is getting some good review.

The 848 is still the one that does it for me. It's a money thing that's holding me back.

I just cannot justify any debt on a toy for me and me alone. Have to pay cash. Can get a new 675 and ALL new TOP SHELF gear for the price of just the 848.

Nothing else is a Ducati though. And that 848 is a SEXY beast.

Right this is what it came down to for me as well. The my short list once I decided to go back to "plastic" was the 848 and the 675. The dealer had a 2800 mile 08 with $3000 in mods (848) for 10,900 and the 675 for the same price OTD. I got beat back from the bank to put the deposit on the 848.

At $14000 after TTL the 848 was more then I was willing to pay. I got the 675 right at MSRP and now I have money for covers, sliders, and levers and such.

The 675 is pretty nice, it doesn't pull like my Speedie at low RPM, but it is butter smooth and by 8k it's pulling hard.

I've been pretty thrilled this week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts