Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I found my motorcycle laying on the ground of my work parking lot. I work security at target, so I do parking lot walks every half-hour (aka, a free reason to check on my bike). I know at 12 it was fine and then at 12:25 when i did another walk is when I found it.
It was on the left side with the clutch lever and bar end scraped pretty bad and left turn signal smashed. After checking out video footage it appears that a black truck was backing up, hit the right side, hit it with enough force to knock it off the center stand (which I use to avoid it just being knocked over). Also, i found that it was only there for just over 10 minutes. The footage was too blurry to make out a license plate, but on Wednesday I'm definitely going to check again and see if I can't at least make out a state and make/model.

Anyway, so as I was taking off the smashed signal tonight, I noticed that a small chunk of the left top fairing was taken off and the fairing tabs connecting the upper and lower fairing (above 'ninja') are snapped on the left side. Also, there were more scratches on the right side, where it was hit.

Alright, so here's the question: does anyone have a suggestion of what to do to keep the lower fairing from bouncing around while riding?
My dad talked about taking a thin sheet of metal, drilling a hole for the fairing screw, bending it to fit the inside of the fairings, and riveting the top fairing to it to stabilize the lower fairing.
How does that sound?

Oh, and I already got the store manager's and my boss' (head of security) "ok" to park my 250 on the sidewalk near the smokers area, which has a really good camera shot of it and is away from people for the most part.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Google plastic welding if you want to repair it properly. Get a junk fairing from a shop to cut the new fairing tabs off (they'll usually give them to you for free).

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks man.. good luck with fixing your bike!
Thanks man.

Google plastic welding if you want to repair it properly. Get a junk fairing from a shop to cut the new fairing tabs off (they'll usually give them to you for free).
I may look into that a bit later. But I'm looking for a cheap/free quick fix for a temporary thing until I can get some time/money.
Though, with the plastic welding, I would save my fairing the burden of putting a hole from the pop rivet in it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For mine, the side stand isn't too stable. It takes but a small push the get it off the side stand (learned that that hard way, though saved it), but on the center stand, it takes more effort if it's on level ground, at least for my bike.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
Just ride w/o that bit of fairing til yo get the right tabs/fairings whatever you might need.

This is exactly why I am so anal about where I park my bike. Every place I frequent I have found the most protective spot I can find.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Just ride w/o that bit of fairing til yo get the right tabs/fairings whatever you might need.

This is exactly why I am so anal about where I park my bike. Every place I frequent I have found the most protective spot I can find.
+1, I also only park in the shade during the summer, which makes a few places off limits.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
ZiptiezX2

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
Put a little ZX-Weld on it. Its better than jb weld

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
zip ties

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
wtf you don't know what zipties are???

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
that is how my liscense plate is mount on my bike, easy to remove for track days and cheap to put back on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts