Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I read the post the other day where you all are talking about the speedo being off by about 10% and that you can order the SpeedoHealer for $90. I recently realized that mine is off too, this sounds like a problem with the fz6 model. Instead of everyone spending almost $100 to fix something that Yamaha SHOULD fix, why don't we all call our dealers about it. I talked to my dealer today and they said they have not heard about this before. We should make sure they hear about it so they'll fix it and we can use the $100 on something we WANT to buy for it.

just my two cents
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
how about "inaccurate" spelling, sorry I forgot the other "c" in the title.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
The July 2004 issue of MotorCyclist page 119 says "For the most part, we find Japanese bikes to be 5 to 10 percent optomistic on the speed dispay."

I know this doesnt help, but at least we know its not just our bike.

BTW-the same article states that Harleys and Buells are quite accurate, take that and do what you will.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
fuzzy6 said:
Hey guys, I read the post the other day where you all are talking about the speedo being off by about 10% and that you can order the SpeedoHealer for $90. I recently realized that mine is off too, this sounds like a problem with the fz6 model. Instead of everyone spending almost $100 to fix something that Yamaha SHOULD fix, why don't we all call our dealers about it. I talked to my dealer today and they said they have not heard about this before. We should make sure they hear about it so they'll fix it and we can use the $100 on something we WANT to buy for it.

just my two cents
thanks

As has been stated previously most bikes are inaccurate and a lot of cars are inaccurate as well. BMW intentionally sets all car and motorcycle speedomieters to read high to avoid any lawsuits from the "well I was only doing 75" crowd.

A good fix for this is to buy a GPS and mount it one the bike. You will get an accurate speed readout and it has other useful functions.
 

·
Super Nibber
Joined
·
501 Posts
I think one of the problems is that the inaccuracy is inconsistent. I have found my speedo to be quite accurate in the 65-75 range. With all its electronics, has anyone checked the manual to see if it can be calibrated?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Pretty much EVERY bike and car has the speedo reading alittle off. And nope, you can't calibrate it with the factory setup, thats where the Yellow box/speedohealer comes in.

My 929 and 750 both read high, not sure by what percent though. Just how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I was beginning to wonder myself. I do about 75 mph on I-75 and people pass me like I'm standing still. I will carry my little gps to work on Monday. I will let you know the results Monday evening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
My first trip on the interstate convinced me I had to fix the error. I had to run at least 80 to stay with the flow. I had no idea I was really going and the troopers were out.
As far as my dealer goes I think it is a case of picking your fight. I have let them know I am disappointed with the performance of the speedo, but I will not make a big deal about it. I will save that for a b***** problem.
On the GPS solution ... I do not have one so correct me if I am wrong. They sound like a good solution if you are crusing, but the update on speed is not instant so while you are accelerating/de there is a lag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
nogoshowboat said:
On the GPS solution ... I do not have one so correct me if I am wrong. They sound like a good solution if you are crusing, but the update on speed is not instant so while you are accelerating/de there is a lag?
Most GPS updates fairly quickly, but the speed reading isn't Big/Visable enough to really use as your main speedo. If the dealer won't fix it (it would require a recall on all FZ6's) and you REALLY want it to be accurate, just get a speedohealer or simmilar device. This problem has been around as long as the speedo has, plenty of solutions out there to correct it if you feel the need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,267 Posts
Sirkbac said:
Most GPS updates fairly quickly, but the speed reading isn't Big/Visable enough to really use as your main speedo. If the dealer won't fix it (it would require a recall on all FZ6's) and you REALLY want it to be accurate, just get a speedohealer or simmilar device. This problem has been around as long as the speedo has, plenty of solutions out there to correct it if you feel the need.

But, doesn't the speedohealer throw off the odometer? The speedohealer is positioned between the pickup and the speedo. The reason I ask is that the BMWs I had were known for optimistic speedomoeters, but, the odometer was spot on. The two were seperate calibrations. That is why I like the GPS alternative best. As for display size, it is big enough to use when needed. I do not stare at that much :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
rennsport said:
But, doesn't the speedohealer throw off the odometer? The speedohealer is positioned between the pickup and the speedo. The reason I ask is that the BMWs I had were known for optimistic speedomoeters, but, the odometer was spot on. The two were seperate calibrations. That is why I like the GPS alternative best. As for display size, it is big enough to use when needed. I do not stare at that much :)
In my case the odometer was off as much as the speedo. That was how I confirmed my problem. I am aslo an avid cyclist and my onboard computer is very accurate. I measured off a distance on the bicycle and rode the bike. I also checked against road mile markers and noticed for 10 miles of road I measured closer to 11.

Makes sense that the sending unit provides the signal for both instruments.

Now my speed and distance are much closer to actual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
rennsport said:
But, doesn't the speedohealer throw off the odometer? The speedohealer is positioned between the pickup and the speedo. The reason I ask is that the BMWs I had were known for optimistic speedomoeters, but, the odometer was spot on. The two were seperate calibrations. That is why I like the GPS alternative best. As for display size, it is big enough to use when needed. I do not stare at that much :)
It'll actually make the odometer more accurate. Right now your bikes are gaining miles on the odometer about 5% faster than actual miles covered. With the Speedohealer (or similar) the odometer will gain miles correctly. The speedo recalibration units are also usefull when you change the gearing of the bike since pretty much all current sport bikes read the speed off the front sprocket. The majority of bikes use the same signal for the speedo and odometer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sirkbac said:
Pretty much EVERY bike and car has the speedo reading alittle off.


By the way people pass me on the highway (when I do the speed limit) I have to figure its off by 5-10 mph. That's more than a little. Its enough to get someone mad and tailgate you to pass and cut you off. Most of you guys make it sound like its not a big deal, but having to spend $100 on something that MUST be fixed to be safe seems like a crock to me. It sounds like a manufacturing problem not an accesory I can decide if I want to buy for my bike or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Just how it goes I guess. Every bike has a speedo error around 5%. The only time I have heard it become a recall is when the CBR 1000RR's hit about 23% due to a glitch. If you can barrow someones GPS oneday and check your speed, then you'll know how much you need to adjust it by. You'll have a hard time trying to convince anyone that going alittle under the speed limit is a "safety issue". You may be going alittle under, but the fault lies most with everyone else going over. Just maintain a reasonable pace with traffic, problem solved.

Is this your first bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No its not my first bike, I had a V-star for the last two years and it was accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE: "You'll have a hard time trying to convince anyone that going alittle under the speed limit is a "safety issue". You may be going alittle under, but the fault lies most with everyone else going over. Just maintain a reasonable pace with traffic, problem solved."


With the way people drive around here going under the speed limit is a safety issue, I've had people tailgate me very close, then pass me and cut me off coming a few feet from my bike. And you can't rely on the flow of traffic if there are only a few cars around and they're speeding you're taking the chance on paying for the speeding ticket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Best trick I can suggest if you don't want to pay to have it recalibrated is to find out what 65mph really is on your speedo. If you were local I'd gladly lend you a GPS to test this, maybe a friend will have one. Or you can have a friend in a car drive 65mph and find out what your speedo reads when you match his speed. Out here people drive like crazy people too....55mph means 80mph. I just keep my own pace, use alittle speed to get clear of someone if they are getting too close.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
krbprogrammer said:
I was beginning to wonder myself. I do about 75 mph on I-75 and people pass me like I'm standing still. I will carry my little gps to work on Monday. I will let you know the results Monday evening.
Using my eTrex Legend --- the 10% appears to be close.
MPH --- GPS
35 32
45 42/43
70 64 (this is why people where passing me by on the interstate!!)
77/78 70
80 71/72

Now, if all this is making my odometer incorrect as well - THAT SUCKS. Does anyone have a picture of the "fixer upper" gadget?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top