Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i recently went to the local shop to try on some helmets mainly shoei and arai(because im a baller like that) mostly looking at shoei now since im just starting out, but when i tried on a medium the person helping me said it might be too big because he did a test where he held the front and told me to move my head to the sides and it did move a little. so because of that i went to try on a small and when i did try that it was almost clostrophobic(sp?) to the point where it was hard to put it on but almost impossible to take it off to the point that it was starting to hurt my head. so the question to all of you is what size should i get should i get the medium and live with it since it was only a little, get the medium and get the foam inserts which he told me about, or just end up getting the small jsut to be safe?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Goto one of the helmet manufacturers sites and check the proper way by measuring your head. A helmet can feel a bit snug when new but within a week or two of use it should loosen up a bit and feel right.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Which Shoei? Every model except the TZ-1 has replaceable cheek pads, so you can adjust the fit a bit. I'd try on the small again, and see where it hurts. If it hurts on the sides of your face, try thinner cheek pads. If it hurts on your forehead or the top of your head, then try the medium with thicker cheek pads. Ultimately you want the snuggest fit you can put on that isn't painful. Walk around the store for 15 minutes with the tightest fit you can stand and if you don't get a headache, that's the one. The helmet will break in a *little* bit, keep in mind. Also if the Shoei idea doesn't work out, try on some different Arai's, they have specific models for round/intermediate/oval heads. Shoei tends to fall in the middle of this range.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Good luck on finding that perfect fit.

Be careful, I went through the same thing as you. I tried on a Med RF900 shoei at the store and had it on for 15 mins. Fitted fine bought it but when I went riding for more than one hour my head felt like it was going to explode due to pressure points.

You just dont know with helmets. If you find one and I did, Large rf900 stick with it and buy one before they discontinue it. The 900 is the only helmet that fits me to a T.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
You're probably right with the Medium although it is hard to give advice on this over the internet. Take the head measurement. Sites like Helmet City have sizing charts to assist you. Arai seems to make helmets for a round head, Shoei helments are more oval.

When it fits, it fits but now that helmets are seldom sold by hat size, there are fewer choices. But remember, it will loosen some. My advice, buy the tightest fit that doesn't hurt in the head shape that matches yours.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keep up with the good advice but the graphics on the shoei tz-1's and stuff will it pass inspection because i heard that you WILL need the 4 stripes of tape on it, so, is the tz-1's graphics reflective
sorry for hijacking my own thread :lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Itchy said:
hey i recently went to the local shop to try on some helmets mainly shoei and arai(because im a baller like that) mostly looking at shoei now since im just starting out, but when i tried on a medium the person helping me said it might be too big because he did a test where he held the front and told me to move my head to the sides and it did move a little. so because of that i went to try on a small and when i did try that it was almost clostrophobic(sp?) to the point where it was hard to put it on but almost impossible to take it off to the point that it was starting to hurt my head. so the question to all of you is what size should i get should i get the medium and live with it since it was only a little, get the medium and get the foam inserts which he told me about, or just end up getting the small jsut to be safe?

Arai make different sized cheek pads. So if you went that route, you should buy the Medium and install a thicker set of pads to make up the difference.

Scott :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts