Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously guys what would be the better bike for communting to school and maybe some long distance riding, and hell maybe even a little track riding?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The sv650, but then I'm biased and have never been on an fz6. :)

You can't ask for a better bike around town with lots of low-end power and a narrow package. It will cruise on the freeway at legal+ speeds all day. It's one of the best track bikes ever and is loads of fun in the twisties. The aftermarket parts are plentiful and they seem to hold their value well.

Plus, it's a Suzuki and not a Yamaha. :lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Murder after Midnight said:
Seriously guys what would be the better bike for communting to school and maybe some long distance riding, and hell maybe even a little track riding?

Geez, are you a professional flamewar starter? :popcorn

I own an FZ6, but SV650S was on my shortlist, too. I chose the FZ because the SV was simply too small for my height and I didn't want so much weight on my wrists. I would have liked the low end torque, but I'm certainly not unsatisfied with Fizzy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AirForceTeacher said:

I own an FZ6, but SV650S was on my shortlist, too. I chose the FZ because the SV was simply too small for my height and I didn't want so much weight on my wrists. I would have liked the low end torque, but I'm certainly not unsatisfied with Fizzy.

Not trying to start anything just wanted opinions, I'm tall also 6,4 so that might be an issue with the sv so thanks for the head up, keep the comments coming guy's.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Both suck! :neener

Seriously, I love both bikes. Ridden 'em both (an SV650S track bike and fazr6's FZ6, close to a track bike).

Get which ever one you want and be happy. They both rock in their own ways.
SV - lowend/midrange torque and v-twin sound and rumble.
FZ - topend screamer and the sound that goes with that.

Both bikes can fill just about any role you want or need. :beer

·
Banned
730 Posts
Sounds like the SV might be too small. Might not so don't let that sway you w/o some thorough seat time (at least in a dealer sitting on it). IMO, the FZ's motor is too "typically sportbike" for it's intended purpose. If you're going to have a buzzy, inline-four that needs to wound out to get to it's power, you might as well get the R6.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
SV all the way baby! But lay RayOSV, I'm also biased a little.

Aftermarket is larger for the SV (sv has been out longer tho), and I'm pretty sure the SV is used in racing more than the FZ... I'm sure the FZ guys will correct me if I'm wrong on that one tho.

The FZ was on my shortlist, but it just simply had not been released yet when I bought the SV... Had it been, I may have bought it instead. Couldn't be more happier with my SV tho.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Murder after Midnight said:
Not trying to start anything just wanted opinions, I'm tall also 6,4 so that might be an issue with the sv so thanks for the head up, keep the comments coming guy's.
Heh...anytime the topic is brought up, arguments are started. Both bikes are cult type bikes... meaning, if you get one, you'll be absolutely nuts about it....doesn't matter which one you get, that's how you'll be.

Best thing to do is ride each (if possible), and at minimum, sit on each for about 15 minutes in the riding position.

Really can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Best thing to do is ride each (if possible), and at minimum, sit on each for about 15 minutes in the riding position.
Yeah, I needed about 1 minute to realize that I would have needed risers right out the door and my knees were bent way more than I'm comfortable with.

However, my personal belief on something like this: if it takes more thana day or two to decide between two bikes, then you can't make a bad decision, obviously you'd be happy with either one.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I assume the same is true for the fz6, but bar risers for the clip-ons and rear-set adjustment plates are available for the sv. Both will really help accommodate the bike to a taller person if needed. Moving the pegs back a bit will help to unfold long legs. Then if the bars are too low, moving them up will complete the adjustment. Both are made with variable positions so the ergos can be fine-tuned to suit.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Bars too low on an SV? I felt like they're not low enough... The SV has a pretty much upright riding position... I can't imagine my wrists getting sore on it, and they never have. I can't speak on the subject of the SV being too small, I'm 5'11" and I don't have any problem at all... albeit I'm not a big guy, but still. For touring though I think I would recommend the FZ since it has a fairing (unless you get the SVS model.... then the SV is the way to go :D )

·
Registered
457 Posts
Spike said:
Bars too low on an SV? I felt like they're not low enough... The SV has a pretty much upright riding position... I can't imagine my wrists getting sore on it, and they never have. I can't speak on the subject of the SV being too small, I'm 5'11" and I don't have any problem at all... albeit I'm not a big guy, but still. For touring though I think I would recommend the FZ since it has a fairing (unless you get the SVS model.... then the SV is the way to go :D )
There is a definite difference in the ergos between the SV650 and the SV650S. The S model is very aggressive - in fact I sat on the SVS, an R6 and a ZX-6R one after the other and of the three, the ZX-6r was the most comfortable for my wrists.

Of course, I've sat on a SVS with risers and it's more comfortable, so that may be the ride you're looking for.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Gotta go FZ6. I originally wanted the SV. After seeing both side by side, the SV looked tiny in comparison. Plus, it's great to wind out that 4 cylinder to it's screaming redline. :banana

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I used to have the FZ6 before moving on up to the infamous RC Five-One and I will have to recommend the FZ6.

Power wise. It'll blow you away. It'll smoke the SV in the top end. Heck, it'll come close to beating my Five-One. . . in the quarter mile that is. he he he. After 7K rpms, you're in inline four heaven. Let it rain baby!!!

The FZ6 has a lot of neat features. A centerstand ( I loved that ), underseat exhaust ( that too, with the Laser Xtremes), fuel gauge ( I miss that ), clock ( that too ). 180 rear section tire.

It's an excellent commuter bike. I used it for commuting myself and it rocked! Very comfortable on longer rides. Yes yes, I'll be the one that's jealous now of the ergos.

One thing that I didn't like was the non-adjustable front suspension. But you can always do the R6 front fork mod or install some stiffer springs and valves.

The SV is a great bike I've heard. Many race with it and there are more aftermarket parts readily available in the states for them.

The choice is yours!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Track: SV

Commute: Around town-SV
Highway-FZ6

Long trips: FZ6

Decide what is more important to you.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
AirForceTeacher said:

The SV650 (non S) has higher handlebars and lower pegs, that should solve the cramped position issues. I've ridden a '01 SVS and it's a lot of fun, it's actually more fun to ride on the street than my TT.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
crx81 said:
Plus, it's great to wind out that 4 cylinder to it's screaming redline. :banana
So is the v-twin. It's also nice having power at 4k, and not having to wait till 8k+ to have any power. :D

Also, read up in the FZ forums... look at all those TPS problems and such they're having. You really want that kind of stuff with a NEW bike? :lol

Just messing with you FZ guys....I gotta do something to level the playing field. Us SV guys are a little out numbered on here. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Neither! The Z750S blows them both away in every category. More power and torque at any rpm level, handles better, flawless transmission and clutch, better wind protection and smooth FI. Also, I've been averaging 50+ mpg.

I would also add the YZF600R is a better choice than the FZ6 or SV650. The only thing it's lacking is FI.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts