Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of you that know my posts, they are long and never end. Hang with me; I have an awful case of verbal/typing diarrhea.
Okay so I'm moving to Florida soon and selling my toys to take out my debt ($4000, thanks fucking geo) and to have some extra cash.
I've been trying to sell my 2008 Gsxr 600 for WEEKS!! Honestly the best offer I got was $3500. It's in pretty good shape with only a dent on the tank and scrape on headlamps. The 98 Ducati monster 750 haven't gotten an offer over $2300. Ugh...
I need to end up getting a pickup truck after I sell my GEO.
I was presented a trade on craigslist. A 2003 zx7R with over 1k in maintenance and tires. He will end up tossing in $1,000 and a brand new 42" tv.

Should I take the $3500 or the zx7r and eBay it?

I test rode the ninja today in 30 degree weather. It did excellent! Carbs were recently overhauled but I think it may need a clutch. Went to toss it into second under hard acceleration and it neutraled. Whenever i did second after that I just clicked extra hard and it didn't happen again but it seemed a little weak. I will test ride more thoroughly when the weather clears.
With the shift thing aside, what would be the best option? Even eBay yielded like 3k. I feel the zx7 would yield around that as most people seem to only want to pay 2-3k this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'd stay away from the 2003 zx7R. Could be the positive neutral finder is failing. The symptoms you describe sound like it could be taking place. Not an easy fix.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
holy shit dude I can't believe you're having trouble at those prices. in my little experience working at a used car lot for 2 years. this time of year gets pretty slow because of christmas. come tax time (middle of jan) things start flying off the lot.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
With all the weather trouble people in this area have better things to worry about than toys. This is a REALLY bad time to try to sell (says me who is trying to sell a truck).

Hold out at those prices there is no reason it won't well in two months. Of course that doesn't help you move but it'd just a bad time for this sort of thing.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
You'd HAVE to be able to get more down in florida.

Both of those prices are too low, honestly. You should be able to get almost 5 grand for your GSXR. The ducati almost 3 grand at a minimum.

It's a REALLY crappy time of the year to sell stuff. It's a REALLY good time of the year to buy stuff, though. I've been snagging deals left and right on craigslist. It's insane. I pick something up almost every single day. (I'm furnishing my new house... which is almost 3 times the size of my last place).

Reactions: I-Jo

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no way to get both or either of the bikes to Florida, one is going for a truck and the other is going for travel cash

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm gonna skip the ninja. I feel taking a mere 3500 is better then zip. And the highest SERIOUS offer on the Duc is 2750 as of this morning. Both will be walking with spankin good deals.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If you are in a position of "have to sell", then you pretty much have to take the highest offer in time to do whatever else it is you are doing. Let them go, there will be more bikes to buy later.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
From a good friend of mine who owns a small motorcycle shop in Kansas City... The ZX7R is a pain in the ass to work on. Horribly designed.

I wouldn't get one.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Unfortunately for you, my friend it's a buyers market...

**says the man who just stole a mint f4i:lol

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
With all the weather trouble people in this area have better things to worry about than toys. This is a REALLY bad time to try to sell (says me who is trying to sell a truck).

Hold out at those prices there is no reason it won't well in two months. Of course that doesn't help you move but it'd just a bad time for this sort of thing.
I'd agree with Jo here.

Its not a good time overall with the state of the economy and the coming holidays. People are not concerned with buying bikes (or cars for that matter) and if they are, they offer ridiculous lowball offers.

I would look into keeping your Gixxer and maybe trying to bring it down to FL with you. If you have a truck you could do that easily. Plus the motorcycle community in FL is much larger compared to other states and we can ride year-round including the winter. If you still want to sell the bike, you can sell it in FL much easier IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts