Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very long time lurker here. I've had nothing useful to post until now. I live in Canada and I've been doing research on importing a late model sport bike from the US. In my opinion the process is needlessly complex, but the price difference might make it worth my while. The price differential is so large in some cases that I could replace my current bike with something considerably newer (and more exciting). The US also has a better market for ninja 250 race bikes which is something I am looking into.

My question is, where should I be looking for classifieds in Montana and Washington? At home, I use Kijiji with good results (both buying and selling), but the ads on comparable classified sites in the US do not net similar results where I would expect thousands of bikes for sale.

TLDR; what classifieds do you use?

Thanks in advance.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Importing a bike to Canada is easy as hell.

An 11-step guide on importing a motorcycle from the USA

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/ot...ep-guide-importing-motorcycle-canada-usa.html

I imported my bike. It was a cakewalk. While it was a "new" bike, the difference in the process is minimal. Here's a tl;dr of my "import a bike to Canada" guide:

1) Buy the bike. Don't pay taxes at the point of sale.
2) Show your title etc and pay the taxes at the border.
3) Get the bike safetied and get a license plate.
4) Profit.

Seriously. It's easy.

As for classifieds:

1) SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search. to search all craigslist ads in a given radius
2) I believe kijiji is only really used within Canada
3) Motorcycle Dealers: Find a Motorcycle Dealer

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
The only real change that took place between when I bought my bike (2010) and now is that we switched from PST/GST to HST - I would imagine that all that means is you would pay all the tax at once (either at the border or the licensing bureau, though I'd guess the former) rather than GST at the border and PST at the licensing bureau.

I am a bit rusty on my info as it has been 3 years, but I really found it to be a simple, pain-free procedure. Do your research into what needs to be done ahead of time, and it's a pain-free experience. Plus, you can save a TON of money (got my bike as a brand-new leftover for $9100 out the door when the same bike locally was $14000)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rhetorik. That link 11-step link is great. I'm in Alberta and therefore exempt from PST/HST, but I will have to pay 5% GST, which was expected.

I'll check out those classifieds. Thanks.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Yeah, I wrote that "guide" shortly after buying my bike and the info was fresh in my mind. As I said, it isn't fully up to date though, so you'll want to confirm everything before you proceed just to be safe.

Also - welcome to the forum! (lurking doesn't count :p)

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
I've imported two bikes already to Canada, importing my third tomorrow. Hardest part (for me) was getting the recall letter from Ducati. The rest is very easy.

Firstly make sure your bike is on the admissible list to be imported.

Then contact the US border that you're importing the bike through, they need a fax of the title AT LEAST 72 hours before bringing the bike through/

Bring the bike to Canadian customs, pay half the taxes on the bike + a $200 dollar RIV fee.

Wait for the paperwork to arrive at your house, then take the bike to a Canadian tire to have it checked (most employees at Canadian tire have no idea what they're looking at, this step takes like 5 minutes)

Take all your paperwork from Canadian tire and your form sheets to the MTO and register your bike. You also pay the remainder of the taxes here. EASY PEASY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've imported two bikes already to Canada, importing my third tomorrow. Hardest part (for me) was getting the recall letter from Ducati. The rest is very easy.

Firstly make sure your bike is on the admissible list to be imported.

Then contact the US border that you're importing the bike through, they need a fax of the title AT LEAST 72 hours before bringing the bike through/

Bring the bike to Canadian customs, pay half the taxes on the bike + a $200 dollar RIV fee.

Wait for the paperwork to arrive at your house, then take the bike to a Canadian tire to have it checked (most employees at Canadian tire have no idea what they're looking at, this step takes like 5 minutes)

Take all your paperwork from Canadian tire and your form sheets to the MTO and register your bike. You also pay the remainder of the taxes here. EASY PEASY
What does Canadian Tire check for? Would a modified exhaust be a problem?

Thanks again guys.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
if you wanna spot me the money plus $1000, I could buy the bike for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts