Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Involved
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told to contact a guy from the other fz6 forum. The guy lives 45min south of me. He told me to hold it and he'll bring cash today. He calls me when I am at work and says he'll be there around 4pm he just needs to take his permit test....

Uh excuse me what?!?!??!

He shows up and is my dads age...50ish. He is from england and used to ride over there. That calmed me down a little. We sign papers, release of liability, title, cash in hand, hand over keys. He caged up and brought gear, hopped on the bike and was trying to turn the key to start it. I showed him how. He then stalled it about 5 times on my sloping driveway. I asked if he wanted me to drive it home and he would just have to drive me back.

Understand that 5:15pm heading south on the 680 where I am is stop and go. He says he is fine and slowly leaves. I started tripping balls. I almost hopped on my bike to follow him home....but quickly ran to the bank deposited my cash and went and registered my Triple....f'ing tax $345 and registration is up on December...ehhh

Should I feel bad/worried?

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
+1... it's not your responsibility to screen your buyers!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Lol nice of you to offer to ride the bike back to his place.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
I was told to contact a guy from the other fz6 forum. The guy lives 45min south of me. He told me to hold it and he'll bring cash today. He calls me when I am at work and says he'll be there around 4pm he just needs to take his permit test....

Uh excuse me what?!?!??!

He shows up and is my dads age...50ish. He is from england and used to ride over there. That calmed me down a little. We sign papers, release of liability, title, cash in hand, hand over keys. He caged up and brought gear, hopped on the bike and was trying to turn the key to start it. I showed him how. He then stalled it about 5 times on my sloping driveway. I asked if he wanted me to drive it home and he would just have to drive me back.

Understand that 5:15pm heading south on the 680 where I am is stop and go. He says he is fine and slowly leaves. I started tripping balls. I almost hopped on my bike to follow him home....but quickly ran to the bank deposited my cash and went and registered my Triple....f'ing tax $345 and registration is up on December...ehhh

Should I feel bad/worried?
How much did it cost you in the end - new/used? How much did you sell yours for?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm sure if the original owner of my bike could see me ride it for the first time he'd be thinking the same thing.

·
Involved
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much did it cost you in the end - new/used? How much did you sell yours for?
I actually did not loose money on my bike. I bought it for $5700 last october with 600miles and sold it for $6300 including my m4 carbons that I got via the group buy.

the triple was $8k with 1230 miles and 13 months left on the warranty, a flyscreen and tank pad. Beats getting bent over at the dealer and branded with a $10.5 out the door.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
As stated, not your problem. He's an adult and made a decision. Done and over. Enjoy the new bike (and change your profile info).

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
I would feel the same way. I hate to see a machine I owned and loved over the years go to someone who won't treat it the same.

My first car I sold to a friend of my younger brother's who promptly totaled it the same month! I had that car for 5 years, lot of good memories with it and I hated to see that happened to it.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
You a sentimental FOOL... (à la Mr. T!)

Fugged aboudit!!! Enjoy the new one.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The guy I sold my GSXR to was pressing down on the rear brake in my drive way... asking me why it won't go into gear. This was after I had the cash of course...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I actually didn't get my permit until my third bike I think. I was pulled over for running a light (didn't) and had to get my endorsement before the court date.

As for the stalling, I did the same thing leaving the stealership. This bike has a clutch onlike any other I've ever felt. Took a minute to get used to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
He's an adult and it is his responsibility.

Similar story... my brother sold his pristine SV650S to an adult rider friend of mine. He just got his license and didn't feel comfortable riding it. I offered to load the bike on my pickup truck and deliver it to his house.

He decline and asked his buddy who rides an old Nighthawk to ride it back for him since this guy is suppose to be a fairly seasoned rider.

Both my brother and I cautioned the buyer and his friend that the SV650S is a different beast than his old bike and that he should be extra careful.

Friend rider gets on and takes off like he just stole it. Ripping it along..they get out and decides to get coffee at a shopping mall..and the rider short cuts the empty parking lot.

Pow! Some lady in a big SUV didn't see him cut and nails him in the parking lot. Rider's leg gets crushed and breaks the guy's tibia/fibia.

I visit the guy at the hospital and didn't say much to the accident since I think he knew that was a bone headed move it was.

The guy is okay now but man..you just can't caution people enough..cause they are going to do what they will do.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I still can't believe that CA charges sales tax on seccond hand vehicles. Not to mention what they get for registration.
You do in NY as well. You have to pay sales tax on any vehicle you buy when you register it. If you get lucky and buy second-hand from someone cool, they're write you a bill of sale for less than you actually bought it for so you don't have to pay as much in tax.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts