Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, I'm doing the 6,000km service on my bike. Valve clearance must be inspected every 3,700 miles (6000km).
I have been using the Wally's World cheap "Tech 15-40 $1.75 USD" oil, so I was a little bit afraid of what I was going to find...

Valve clearance was PERFECT, no gap at TDC as some sources say it must be for a pushrod engine (Haynes manual 0.003 inches), so that means there has been no wear on the valve train since new!!!

That means the Tech stuff can't be the engine killer some people say it is.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
L8 Braker said:
That looks like 15-50?...I use the same thing in the bike...

But 8 dollars?...Where's you buy it from?...Mine is 4 and some change...
Actually $7.50 USD.

5-50, the only grade you can get synthetics here in Mexico. The cheapest being Castrol Synthetic at $6.60 USD and the most expensive Mobil 1 $7.50 USD.

Got it at Wally's World, only place you can buy oil at 9pm, and the prices there are more or less average leaning towards the cheapest you can get.

By the way, my bike only takes 1 quart :D

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went for a ride, 20 miles...

OK, I can't believe it, the bike feels smother and the shifting is incredible. I can believe the shifting part, but I really doubt the engine is running smoother, I think it may be my imagination trying to justify $7.50 a quart???

I always thought that if you could feel a difference in the engine "smoothness" because of a lubricant that would be because the first lubricant wasn't doing its job. How the heck does an engine survive for so long with dino oil and feel so much better with synth. stuff?

a) My mind is playing with me
b) The engine is running smoother
c) b and the engine will last much longer?

Sad part is that no matter what I do, I'll have to change the oil again in 1850 miles, the problem is not the oil, but the amount of crap it collects as my bike is a filterless engine (just a centrifugal filter to get the heavy solids).

·
Registered
681 Posts
Damn man....that bike don't need synthetic oil. BUT, if it makes ya feel better........and quit complaining if it's only ONE quart........you'd really be pissed if you needed 4 + a filter.

BTW, why are you running 5-50? That bike shouldn't need more than 10-30.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10-40 is what the manual says, but here in Mexico they only sell 5-50, so thats what I got...

There are even several grades of dino oil that are almost impossible to find, like 5-30.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
one quart? sweet, must be nice. I get Golden Spec for $6.50-$8.00 a quart.. and both my bikes take 4-ish! eeeh...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Personally I like royal purple.. It gives the bike, and my car a noticable difference in engine smoothness, and boosts performance.

and I used to use nothing but mobil1.

·
Registered
501 Posts
that's mobil 1 15-50 synthetic. good stuff. the bad thing about synthetic is that it finds leaks in your engine. won't be a problem for newer bikes. I can get it at walmart for $18.00/gallon(4 quarts)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts