Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found this on another forum and thought i'd ask the experts opinion.

i've read some info basically saying that passing on the inside is a no-no.....so i guess, who's at fault in this crash.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts
Track days; a lot of organizations don't allow/want you to pass on the inside, because of that. But during a race, its fair game.

:EDIT!!!!

Looking at the pictures, it doesn't really look like the guy was trying to pass on the inside. They both were following there own lines, and they just collided. But I could be wrong. Have been before.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well assuming the R6 is trying to pass the DRZ on the inside (and not the other way around), I would say the R6 is more to blame. Looks like he tried to go up the inside but didn't quite get through before the DRZ turned in, so they touched and both went down. Or as stated above its very possible they were both running close to each other, took different lines, and wound up in the same place

"fault" isn't really important, don't be that guy that gets a big group together to walk down the paddock and threaten another rider because he made you crash, its a race track and sh!t happens
at trackdays, follow the rules of your group and try not to crash. Don't do anything stupid and have fun.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I can't see the pic at work. Different track day orgs have different rules. Also, different classes/groups allow passing in different spots. Usually inside passes are allowed in the advanced group, no problem.

With that said, it is ALWAYS the responsibility of the passing rider to make a clean pass, inside or outside. If it's too risky, don't attempt the pass! This is what separates track days from racing.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
If i'm seeing this right, yeah, the R6 was committed to a pass on the inside & didn't get there before the apex... R6's fault regardless of whether or not inside passing is allowed. He shoulda checked up & waited for the next straight where he could blow the motard away.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
contact was definitely made... the R6 went down cuz of the contact (certainly didn't hit the front brake & he certainly wasn't leaning that far over) & then took the motard w/ it.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
In my opinion the R6 is at fault.

The R6 was the overtaking rider by what I see from that short bit of footage. How I came up with that (remember this is my OPINION) is the 1st frame where the bikes are 90* to the camera there is a slight gap that you can see between the riders bodies, as they pass the camera that gap should get smaller if the closer bike is going faster, but instead it gets b***** because the inside bike is passing. Before the impact both of them would be countersteering for the left hand turn (actually slightly turned to the right), after the impact the R6 stopped countersteering and instinctually went into self preservation mode and turned left to the inside of the turn (thinking that would bring them away from the other bike) which then caused them to lose the front end due to turning the wrong direction.

Also, is the rider on the R6 a girl? The very slender legs, shoulders, and torso along with the hip placement that I can see in that really short segment sure looks like it to me - if not then it's a pretty thin guy. Just curious? :)

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
it is the responsibility of the one who is trying to pass to do it safely (at least that is with the organization i have experience with).

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
So, reality is it's almost impossible to tell from the camera angle whether an overtake is actually in process. But the consensus is that if the R6 is overtaking, s/he is at fault. If the bikes are just taking different lines, with neither willing to back off in the turn to avoid going two abreast, I'd call it "that's racing". Which begs the question of why they think they're racing. :)

KeS

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Yep.. I would say if the R6 was passing.. he was at fault.. again, if it looks too risky - dont make the pass.. it's a track day.. there is no prize at the end of the day, just the knowledge you gain.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
QWIK1 said:
Yep.. I would say if the R6 was passing.. he was at fault.. again, if it looks too risky - dont make the pass.. it's a track day.. there is no prize at the end of the day, just the knowledge you gain.
nicely put.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
If you have to stop and think if the pass is safe, then it isn't...back off and wait for a better shot at it.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Most track day organizations do not allow inside passing in the Beginner and Intermediate groups. Advanced groups can pass where ever they want, but are always asked to not swap paint :D

Trackdays area just that..a track day and not a race.

Now, I ride with several different clubs and only one out of the 3 allow you to pass on the inside, but, requires you to give 6 feet of room on either side...which basically means, wait to make the pass safely :lol

In the pic, the R6 clearly loses the front, crashing out and taking the other rider with him.

If you can't make the pass cleanly and safely, then back off and get 'em somewhere else :D

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Nice Boo - thanks for finding that. Although the crash sucks... at least they still sound like bros after it all... once again - motorcycle camaraderie prevails it seems...

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think this is what happens when you have vastly different types of bikes
trying to keep the same pace on the same track.

Not saying anyone is right or wrong, just an observation.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
oh ya, trust me I know what it's like to battle bikes w/ twice the HP you have.

Back when I was a novice I was eligible to be in novice blue group (fast practice)... the tech guy almost shat himself when i asked for a blue sticker... "BLUE???? BLUE???? ON AN EX500???? You're gonna be out there w/ the 600's and 750's!"

"yup, and those were the guys that were slowing me down in every corner of the track in yellow group right after they stuffed me at the end of the straight."

... but that's a whole other can of worms.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.