Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I'm 16 and was just wondering if its common to see 16 year olds riding street bikes. I want to get a Suzuki GS500F and was wonering if this would be a good beginner bike? if it's not are there any other good bikes out there. Oh, and I have expierience on Dirt Bikes and alot on quads so I can ride manual shifts.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
GS500's are wonderful starter bikes. it's not common to see a 16yr old on a bike, but 18-21yr olds are fairly common in my area.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Rules to live by
Bike start small
Take the MSF
Wear Gear
Don’t ride outside your limits
Don’t ride like people can’t see you ride like everyone can and they are trying to kill you

·
Registered
731 Posts
The smaller(engine) you start the better it will turn out for you later.
So, its your beer. If you want to start on a older 500, thats allright, but you wont be able to experiment with it as with a 250 for example.

·
Registered
522 Posts
it's common to see people that age to ride bikes, just not as common as driving cars. I would highly suggest getting a used bike like a GS500E, they are cheaper and you probably won't care as much if you drop a cheaper used bike. The GS500F is basically the same as their older models, the only REAL difference is that ugly (imo) fairing. You may want to look into Ninja 500 and Ninja 250s also. But, take the MSF BRC, wear gear and just be safe. Good luck.

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
Heheh if you're lucky enough to have parents who'll let you touch a motorcycle (or two wheeled death machine as my grandma used to call em) then good for you, a 500 is a great choice. Most parents I know would be freaked out too much to let their teenager have a bike so ya dont see many teens that age who ride around here. That was the age I started riding though, got my first bike right after my grandma died as she was the force behind the bike hating. That was 2 years ago and I'm still glad I stuck with a 250 as it built up my skills a lot faster than a larger bike would have. Good luck.

BTW where in MN are ya from?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duluth, MN. my mom has her liscense so we both want a bike bad, haha, but my dad isn't to sure about me riding one, haha.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Check your insurance rates on such a new bike, insurance for a 16yr on ANY brand new bike is gonna be a little pricey. You might be better off getting a used Ninja EX500 or 250.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
firefighter81 said:
Check your insurance rates on such a new bike, insurance for a 16yr on ANY brand new bike is gonna be a little pricey. You might be better off getting a used Ninja EX500 or 250.
yeah, insurance is anoter thing I gotta worry about, I'd definately buy used no matter what :(

·
Registered
116 Posts
All the advice I can give is to take heed to what they say to beginners on this forum. They are not saying any BS. It's all true b/c they are looking out for you.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
go with a busa. not to big, plus there is plenty of room for mistakes. easy to control... im 16 with a 03 gixxer6. its to small and not fast enough. BTW im sorta grounded b/c i got cought runnin from the cops.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Haha, I hope that last post is a joke, no one could possibly be that dumb

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Haha, I hope that last post is a joke, no one could possibly be that dumb
Hmm don't be so sure... :(

I used to live in Mankato, MN needless to say I kinda miss the snow as NM is somewhat lacking in that aspect. Everyone in my family has a licence to ride excetp my brother cause he's too young.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you ran from the cops, you're 16............ my parents wouldn't let me ride a motorcycle or drive my car ever again as long as I lived with them..... haha

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'd start on a Ninja 250, it is just slightly down on power from the GS. If you get the GS, don't get one with the fairing, as you will drop it, it just happens. Good luck, it sounds like you are heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
DM_rider said:
you ran from the cops, you're 16............ my parents wouldn't let me ride a motorcycle or drive my car ever again as long as I lived with them..... haha

i forgot to mention i wrecked it during that little chase. oh i get to keep it.(if i change my attitude :angry ) oh yeah, my dad is painting the bike plus ordered me a hugger.(since i bought me an undertail) good luck with gettin a bike. :twofinger

1 - 20 of 28 Posts