Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
There is no "Best" motorcycle helmet. Just buy something you can afford and like. It's very debatable if the more expensive helmets offer any more protection. They all have to meet DOT specification.

I use to buy Shoei but then I tried a Scorpion and liked it just as much if not more, so I have been using that brand the last 3-4 years. Don't let the low price fool you, they are very nice helmets. But I'm sure tons of other people will suggest other brands. You really can't go wrong with any modern helmet these days.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I am looking for the best motorcycle helmets, can you give me one?
No I won't give you one, but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of places you can buy one.

Non smartass response:

The best motorcycle helmet is the one that fits your head, your budget, and your comfort requirements. If a helmet has a SNELL rating it's in the ballpark as far as safety is concerned.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
^^^^ What he said

Different helmets fit differently. Its not just size but shape of helmet and its typically different not only between brands but between different models within a brand as well.
Try as many on as you can and go from there.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Yeah, the only thing you get with higher price is normally lighter weight and sometimes better airflow, and neat looking replica graphics.

I bought my current scorpion while I was broke and in college. It's a fine helmet. Fits me well. But I'm thinking of moving up to an AGV or something along those lines... just SO much lighter. Also, they are 500 bucks. So is it really worth it? Probably not. But if I can get one on closeout, then maybe.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Yeah, the only thing you get with higher price is normally lighter weight and sometimes better airflow, and neat looking replica graphics.

I bought my current scorpion while I was broke and in college. It's a fine helmet. Fits me well. But I'm thinking of moving up to an AGV or something along those lines... just SO much lighter. Also, they are 500 bucks. So is it really worth it? Probably not. But if I can get one on closeout, then maybe.
yep, my first helmet was scorpion exo 400 and even though it was an awesome helmet i found it to be very very heavy. when i switched to shoei rf1000 i then realized how heavy the scorpion actually was.

·
5,366 Posts
yep, my first helmet was scorpion exo 400 and even though it was an awesome helmet i found it to be very very heavy. when i switched to shoei rf1000 i then realized how heavy the scorpion actually was.
Shouldn't paint that with such a broad brush.

The 400 and 700 are made with different materials. The 700 is much much lighter altho IIRC the materials used in the 400 actually give it better impact protection.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I call Troll.

First post and has a link in it, to a site I've never heard of.

·
#squidtrolol
267 Posts
I call Troll.

First post and has a link in it, to a site I've never heard of.
wow dude good fucking catch.. Has anyone gone? Flag this shit..could be fishy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
is it safe to say shoei rf1000 is one of the best helmets?
im going to try one out soon.
i liked the scorpion exo
can someone list a list of helmets to check out?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
is it safe to say shoei rf1000 is one of the best helmets?
im going to try one out soon.
i liked the scorpion exo
can someone list a list of helmets to check out?
I agree, RF1000 (now RF1100) is one of the best bang for buck out there. Its pretty light, has removable/washable liner, etc. Cheek pads and shields are super easy to find. I've got two of them in the garage, and I'm sure they won't be my last.

I think the brands to check out are Shoei, Arai, AGV, Suomy, and Scorpion.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Almost any upper end helmet like the now discontinued RF1000 is a good (as in feature rich). But it's only good if it fits the shape of your head. For instance with Shoei the X12 fits my mellon a lot better than the RF1000 or its replacement the RF1100 do.
You really do need to try a bunch of an see what works for you.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
He's a spammer, there were several that hit the site at the same time last night

1 - 15 of 15 Posts