Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine who recently purchased an 05 GSXR 600 let me take it for a spin around the parking lot. It was easier to ride than I had thought, I only killed it once and balanced it pretty easily. I must say, though, these bikes are very very fast. I didn't really get on it hard because the parking lot wasn't the best, but what little I did I was very impressed. Can't wait to get one. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
haha yea.. pretend like its not your first bike.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I know I'll catch some heat, but oh well, I had a really fun time... I just like sitting on the damn thing, and could of drove it around the parking lot doing 15 mph all day long, but I don't think eh would of been down for that.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
As long as you had fun that is all that matters :banana

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
:rolleyes

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Shit you have to get your feet wet sometimes, good it was in a parking lot and not on the street with crazy drivers.
Good luck and pay attention to my quote.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
beowulf2k said:
Shit you have to get your feet wet sometimes, good it was in a parking lot and not on the street with crazy drivers.
Good luck and pay attention to my quote.
Yeah no way I would of rode on the street with cars. Thanks though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys have a question. I was looking at purchasing a used bike when I get one, at what mileage should I start to be leary of?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nothing wrong with high mileage, just check for crash damage, steering stops, engine cases, straight frame, severe rash... Talk to the previous owner and make sure the bike was not a track mule, or a stunt bike. Get an older bike for your first... A CBR F2, or something older than that... You will drop it, and you will be freaking out if you drop a brand new 600, or similar new bike... Ride an older machine for a season before trading up, make sure you don't become a statistic. I am not doubting your ability, but you can't control the people in cars around you, but you will learn to anticipate their stupidity, and keep yourself out of potentially dangerous situations.

Proper maintenance is key on higher mileage bikes, high mileage doesn't mean problems if it has been maintained. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
.... no 600 natzies yet? ROFL when they start they won't stop and here we go again... see if you can test drive a sv650 or a 500r ninja, if you likes the 600 and barely touched it, then there won't be a difference if you reach in those bikes pockets a little deeper. and there cheaper to :)

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
matt365 said:
I am not doubting your ability
Well, I am. It could be an integral step in him not making a bad decision that affects his pocketbook at best, and his life at worst.

Dude, you're gonna get what you want. We both know this.
Having been there and done that, let me suggest a smaller, easier bike for you. Look into the EX500, or the FZR400. The EX doesn't look all that great, but it'll keep up with the 600ss bikes while tooling around town--unless the people you're riding with, you REALLY shouldn't be riding with. The Gixxer 6er is an awesome machine, no doubt, but is really a better SECOND bike--after you've had your drops and scares out of the way, then it's a good bike to move up to.

Learning to navigate traffic and the like suck. Having to do that on a machine that will flip over if you're not EXTRA careful sucks even more. My EX had more than enough power to flip right over if I dumped the clutch. My Interceptor is much more potent than my EX and requires me to use the skills I learned on my first bike to keep me from doing something stupid. The GSX-R is easily a machine that's twice as unforgiving as my Interceptor, let alone the EX500.

Nomatter what bike you get, let me suggest you get some damn good gear. A Rebel 250 can make you just as dead as a GSX-R 1300 can. The only way to tip the odds of surviving a crash in your favor is to wear good gear. www.newenough.com is great for good gear at a reasonable price.

The bottom line is this: welcome to the world of motorcycling. You'll likely find it to be one of the most fulfilling things that you do. Use your head, and stick with us for a while. I'd rather have one more rider on the road to whom I can wave, than one more corpse in the ground, whether you started on a 50cc scooter or a 1300cc monster.

·
Registered
670 Posts
when i saw the thread title i thought you had tried heroin or somethin :joke but yah anyways go get a bike but do it right and get a good beginner bike (sv, gs500, ninja 250/500 etc.) Glad you had fun :dblthumb

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
beowulf2k said:
hehe, that's what kellen winslow said...

and we all know what happened to him :urowned

1 - 20 of 31 Posts