Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My response to pms asking if i am dead or alive or disappeared to take a break from SBN (lol):

Nah, that would be courtesy of my school not coughing up my financial aid even though there are only THREE weeks left til the end of the semester. I no longer have internet at home so my signing on anywhere has been limited to a mad search for a job in a college town in the middle of summer (aka HARD to find) and staying afloat in the sinking ship of my bills. My money has been awarded to me by the federal government, and i have seen it on the school's computer system since May, but they just can't get it together to DISBURSE it! Student budget (by the govt) covers expected tuition, housing, food, and transportation, plus any other school related expenses like books and fees. How the hell they expect us to cover said expenses if the money the govt sent they won't dish out, i have no idea. My graduation is delayed even more now because i won't be able to take as many classes as I should be. Or i could, but my resulting grades would make it pointless. Ah well.

I'm alive. I'll be posting this on the boards so any who wondered if i was gone (or hoped, lol) know I'm alive and kicking.
Also to briefly recap my biking between last signon and now:

New experiences:

1. Got drenched coming back up Monroe from Wakulla County, couldn't avoid the rain. I was actually the driest one because i had on full gear...just some rain soaked through the mesh and got my top wet. Rear wheel shuddered a tiny bit on one stop but for the most part, I just slowed and braked for traffic and lights from much earlier than usual, and it was no problem, asides from fear of miscalculating something. Group of us.

2. Went DOWN for the first time. Going round a corner (remember my friend was getting on my case for not taking them properly), tried to practice going slower, but didn't change my lean to go along with it, instead of counterleaning, i leaned with, didn't speed up to correct for that like i usually do, and so the bike leaned too far, and slid out from under me. I had on full gear, nothing damaged except my right hand glove tore (my palm was undamaged)...I didn't even feel it, aside from TOTAL embarrassment at falling off my bike, my pride was severely bruised but i'll get over it. This was couple weeks ago. My bike, a little scratching behind the right mirror, a little scratching near the base of the pipe, and the right frame slider is rubbed down a bit, but the bike is otherwise unharmed, and no one can see those scratches unless they are looking for them. fairings are totally fine.

Needless to say, determination to avoid embarrassing myself like that again has led to me finally learning to take my corners properly (counterleaning)...don't know why i wasn't applying that from the MSF before but nothing like hard knocks to refresh the memory.

3. Found out i ride better than some people who have been riding way longer than me...I get complimented on the riding skills and my now beautiful (instead of sometime-ish) stops, but i figured it was just people being polite. Saw someone ride who out on back roads could not lean into their corners, they braked like they were coming to a complete stop for all of them...some guy on that ride mistakenly said i looked like i had been riding for a while, i said nope, 3 weeks. He was amazed. I just was taking corners with the wrong lean in town. Now that I fixed that and don't feel nervous for most corners anymore:

4. I rode out starting last Friday without the leather pants. Just wore my normal jeans. Last Thursday a public temperature reader said 98 degrees...and I notice now I save a lot of money on WATER I am forever dying to drink when i am out in the leathers in this heat! I don't really notice it, til i realize everywhere i stop, i have to drink a lot of water, even if i stopped less than 10 minutes ago. I also didn't notice cause i had trained myself to be out in the leathers all the time. I only went out in jeans in the wee hours when no one was on the road so i was less likely to get accidentally hit. The jeans thing feels SO nice. I still squeak like hell though. The motorcycle boots are just LOUD. So it's been some WEEKS since I last wore my sexy high heels, but that's okay, I seem to be sexy in the space age alpinestars anyway. *sniff*

Yes. I do still wear everything else. Helmet, Jacket, gloves, bike boots. But the leathers were making me spend a fortune on water and be ready to pass out when i got home and got out of them and realized how much heat they were trapping close to my body!

That's mostly it. Oh, i also ride my bike for errands as an excuse to ride. And to save gas. And i led some guys (2 other riders) out to a bbq outside of town and one of them was so new, he still had the expiration date for a license plate. Tallahasee is hilly. He took off from one light (or tried to) and instead slightly wheelied his bike, and landed in the lane of the pickup next to us. Luckily he got it back in his lane quickly. But that was quite scary. They were both talking about how nicely i ride when we got there, and mentioning me going 70 like this was a big deal. (it was the speed of the regular traffic once you left the city limits.) Now that i see some of the stuff other newbies are doing, I am happy to say yes, I do ride very well and all these men, riders and non-riders alike, are not just saying it for points. I am also happy to say i have NEVER come even close to what that guy did, on my bike. And he's got a Gixxer...very sexy bikes, but i'll be riding with a little distance between me and him. :(

Somewhere around the 17 marks 2 months of me riding, a month and a half of being on the road for real! YAYYYYY!

I missed all the bike talk on here...some old man saw me and my friend ( the one who trained me) ride up to a bank today and was just "wow" ing the fact that it's so hard to find a woman that can ride. Said he wants a bike but his wife would kill him. (He thought me and my friend were married, i guess.)...I seem to be having this strange effect of making people who had bikes a long time ago want to get one (my ex, he said that AGAIN after seeing me lean some wicked corners today), or making people who had never been heard talking of bikes suddenly start planning on one over and over (the wife of my friend's neighbor across the street, strange men who see me take off the helmet somewhere)...one guy saw me sitting at a computer place trying to look for a job (in gear, with the helmet next to my comp) and started telling me out the blue about his UNCLE's bike! It took me a second for me to realize he was talking to me... Some lady saw me gearing up to leave in the parking lot and said she wants to be like me when she grows up. She was joking, but i told her about the course and where to find it online. I don't want them thinking this is some superwoman thing, cause that's the type of thinking that made me think I was just going to be passenger the rest of my life. I told her I failed the course the first time i did it, and that retaking the test is free...just so she can humanize the whole experience. :D

And I saw some girl outside a club who walked up to beg a ride on one of the men's bikes, and after interrupting the conversation me and the guy were having without even making sure we weren't a couple first, put on this little shy act when he put a helmet on her, and asked me wasn't i scared to be riding my own. I said no. When i first got on it i was nervous, but not now. And smirked to myself cause I didn't have to walk up to men in my skimpiest outfit to get a ride, I could jump on my own machine and roll out. Plus I am sure he was well on his way to getting some that night. Heh heh. Green-eyes + dreadlocks + a R1 does that to many a girl. And i know he was already in the mood cause he was trying to give me some lyrics before he spied easier prey. ***insert evil grin here***

K I'm gone again. I know that was way too long. Sorry. It's a good read though, I promise. :D

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I saw an SV at a local dealer today. And then I thought, where the f*ck is Brownilus? I haven't heard from her in awhile! Glad you're okay after that little spill.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
That's pretty cool, glad to hear you got back on the bike girl! Me, the first time I was out on the road I was pulling out of my driveway and went down the cul-de-sac to get the feel for the bike before braving the busy street ahead- and woudn't you know it but in the 60 seconds it took me to go around the cul-de-sac I had a large group of people all in their yard up by the street cheering for a GIRL RIDER!! All in the first 60 seconds of riding on the street- and girl, it just gets better, I'm eating it up just as much as you!! :) GIRL RIDERS ROCK!

I wonder how they noticed me so quickly, and how they noticed I'm a girl... in full gear I think I look like a man... I'm puzzled by this...

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikem317 said:
I saw an SV at a local dealer today. And then I thought, where the f*ck is Brownilus? I haven't heard from her in awhile! Glad you're okay after that little spill.

Lol. Glad to know I'm missed all the way in Boston.

I'll be back eventually. Just have got to get some other things straight (and I don't have internet at home anymore).

My son desperately wants me to click on this icon so it has nothing to do with this post but here it is:

:banana :eek:nfloor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts