Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the lesser-known legends. For YEARS, I have been a "player fan" more than a fan of specific teams. For instance (and I'm about to date myself), I used to watch every game possible that Nolan Ryan pitched - gawd, how could you NOT be a Nolan fan? (Unless you're Robin Yount). And Edgar Martinez... and Greg Maddux, although he's well known for a geeky guy that can't throw fast or hard. :)

Tonight I was watching the Best Damn Sports Show Ever, and they had George Brett on. He was Mr. Consistent, which is one of the reasons I was always a HUGE fan. But it seems no one really knows who I'm talking about when I mention him in baseball discussions. Is it me, cuz I'm old? Or is he just one of the lesser known legends? He did, after all, make it into the hall of fame 1st shot.

Ok... now that I've rambled endlessly.... am I the only one that seems to be a fan of the underdog-legend??? Who's yours?

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Who doesn't know who George Brett is? If you're a sports fan I think you would know who he is. I couldn't tell you what teams he played on but I know he was a good player.

There are alot of "great" players who known for only one large play in their career. Not really an overall great career.

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
Robin Yount still has knotts on his head from Nolan's knuckles. LMAO

George Brett, LA Dodger great.

I would have to go with Doug "magical" Flutie. The lil squirt has accomplished some rather huge feats in his career and has never been giving the proper respect. I say score one for the little guys.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ibleedgreen said:
Robin Yount still has knotts on his head from Nolan's knuckles. LMAO

George Brett, LA Dodger great.

I would have to go with Doug "magical" Flutie. The lil squirt has accomplished some rather huge feats in his career and has never been giving the proper respect. I say score one for the little guys.
Robin Ventura actually. . . and George Brett was a KC Royal great. :urowned

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
SurfNSB said:
Robin Ventura actually. . . and George Brett was a KC Royal great. :urowned

Damn, :urowned on both counts. Shit!!! :bitchslap

Wait a minute, it was quite early in the morning and I hadn't had my 2nd cup of coffie. :lol

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
+1 to the Express. That guy threw harder when he was 39 than he did when he was 29. Maddux is tight too, really a 'student of the game'

I'm definitley in the same boat. I appreciate consistency over time and that's what I find really appealing about baseball. It's a long season, gotta have a short memory can't ever get too 'up' or too 'down'. I know I'll get flamed for this, but I find lots of similarities between baseball and NASCAR: long season, lots of luck involved, team effort, scouting, patience...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See?? People may know George Brett's name, but nothing else! Not who he played for, not that he won 3 batting titles in 3 DIFFERENT DECADES.

Consistency is where it's at, and straight up hanging tough, when tough is all ya got left (i.e., slumping, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
well, he also had that pine-tar thing :lao

·
SBN's bad luck charm
1,106 Posts
Speaking of lesser-known legends, howzabout Bob Uecker, eh? :eek:nfloor

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I love that George Brett charge in that game against the Yanks. Remember the highlights, not the game. You know, when they said that he used too much tar on the bat and discounted the homerun. That was the best!

Best underdog? Little biased, but the 2004 Red Sox in the ALCS, coming back from 0-3. As an individual? I love Nolan Ryan, the Express just rocked. That's when I got into baseball. I remember the game that he was bleeding from the nose and continued to pitch, when he was on the Rangers.

Tom Brady is the ultimate underdog, bar none. Not anymore, I think he proved himself, and deserves to be compared to the Unitas, Montanas, etc. of the world.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I remember Brett and Nolan, I loved them both and I believe I have several Baseball cards of Each, I know I have both all star cards though not what year. Those guys were the true greats.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikem317 said:
I love that George Brett charge in that game against the Yanks. Remember the highlights, not the game. You know, when they said that he used too much tar on the bat and discounted the homerun. That was the best!

Best underdog? Little biased, but the 2004 Red Sox in the ALCS, coming back from 0-3. As an individual? I love Nolan Ryan, the Express just rocked. That's when I got into baseball. I remember the game that he was bleeding from the nose and continued to pitch, when he was on the Rangers.

Tom Brady is the ultimate underdog, bar none. Not anymore, I think he proved himself, and deserves to be compared to the Unitas, Montanas, etc. of the world.

They played the rest of the game in protest because of that discounted homerun - Royals lost. They replayed the game after MLB decided that bat was ok. Royals won. :)

I agree about Tom Brady - the guy is crazy good, even if I do hate his team. And I respect that he doesn't chase the limelight. I still don't get why the media doesn't chase him, but that's everyone else's loss. He's going to be up there with the greats, someday when they're checkin the stats for HOF.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Robin Yount, lol. I don't think he's ever charged a mound.

One guy who I always loved to watch play both football or baseball was Bo Jackson. I know he wasn't considered a legend at either sport, but I think if he would never have injured his hip and concentrated on one sport, he would have been great.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jake said:
Robin Yount, lol. I don't think he's ever charged a mound.

One guy who I always loved to watch play both football or baseball was Bo Jackson. I know he wasn't considered a legend at either sport, but I think if he would never have injured his hip and concentrated on one sport, he would have been great.
I agree, Bo was totally awesome. How can a guy - the ONLY guy - to make both the All-Star & Pro-Bowl teams NOT be a legend? It's sad that his career was cut entirely too short by injury. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts