Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Not a bad choice at all. What is your height and weight?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Not the best choice for a first bike.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Take the MSF course first before deciding

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Not the worst choice either. Take the MSF and see what you think after that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Eyespy, I don't think I see your logic here?? That is an excellent first bike. What might be your suggestion??

You can ride that bike for a couple of years without outgrowing it. I feel like it's better to start on something that won't scare the shit out of you, and DO take the safety course..IMO

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
How does one outgrow a bike? Somebody explain it to me. I've been riding more than a couple of years and I don't feel anything wrong with my SV. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: BTW I think a 250 or 500cc would make a better bike to learn to ride on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nig said:
How does one outgrow a bike? Somebody explain it to me. I've been riding more than a couple of years and I don't feel anything wrong with my SV. What am I doing wrong?

I know how to ride a bike man.

:)

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i think it will be a fine bike.

·
Registered
910 Posts
gungho said:
Eyespy, I don't think I see your logic here?? That is an excellent first bike. What might be your suggestion??

You can ride that bike for a couple of years without outgrowing it. I feel like it's better to start on something that won't scare the shit out of you, and DO take the safety course..IMO

It's not an exceptionally poor first bike, like a liter bike or any modern 600ss, but it's not the best choice either. I don't see how the "logic" is hard to follow. The GS500, the EX250, and EX500 are much better 1st bike choices, especially used examples. It's not like I haven't said it numerous times in similar threads. You will not find SV650s in any basic rider course I know of. Regarding the MSF, it is not what it used to be, or should be....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The sv650 is a wheelie machine....hence not a good bike for a beginner. And knowing how to ride a bike and "Learning how to RIDE" are two different things. It takes years of street riding and many track sessions to really learn it. Just like anything, riding takes time to learn. You don't learn it in one year or 4000 miles. You learn through experience and like I said it takes time to experience many things on a motorcycle. The sv650 is not a bad bike to learn on because you could have picked a R1, but like some have said the ex250 or ninja 500 are the most referred beginning bikes out. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
456 Posts
nig said:

Set goals for skills you would like to achieve, then practice,practice, practice. Thing is, be smart and don't set stupid shit for goals. Like wheelies. Learn how to brake, trail brake, learn how accelerate, but most of all learn how to be smoooooth( the key ) Then you will notice your outgrowing your machine.

There's nothing wrong with your SV at all, awesome bike. I guess its personal pref.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
is the sv650 really regarded as being a wheelie machine? i have never heard that about that particular bike...

·
Registered
456 Posts
jiffy said:
The sv650 is a wheelie machine....hence not a good bike for a beginner. And knowing how to ride a bike and "Learning how to RIDE" are two different things. It takes years of street riding and many track sessions to really learn it. Just like anything, riding takes time to learn. You don't learn it in one year or 4000 miles. You learn through experience and like I said it takes time to experience many things on a motorcycle. The sv650 is not a bad bike to learn on because you could have picked a R1, but like some have said the ex250 or ninja 500 are the most referred beginning bikes out. That's my 2 cents.

What have you been smokin!! that's not a wheelie machine. Can it wheelie in first gear? sure, any bike can. Can it wheelie in second gear? sure with a-lot of help.

Thing is he can jump on this bike, and when he gets himself into a pickle and happens to grab to much throttle it won't spook him into a b***** mistake.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts