Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been practicing doing wheelies lately, and I'm getting frusterated. I am on my F4i, stock gearing, and Diablo Corsa's for tires. I'm at a pretty big guy at 245lbs, so I think that maybe contributing to my problem. I can do little power wheelies in first like a foot, foot and a half off the ground, but 2nd is a no go. I haven't tried standing up in 2nd yet, but, I have been sitting back in the seat. In 2nd, I get going to about 6500-7000, and then I start to slip the clutch in. I was easing the clutch back out, but that wasn't doing shit. Then I started to let it out faster, and the bike would feel like it was going to launch, but wouldn't. I'm not letting off the throttle at all I don't think. Any advice? More throttle? More clutch? Ultimately I just want to get down 2nd gear standups, and that'd be it, I'm no stunter.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
You just need to work on it more. It takes a lot more power to get it up in 2nd. I had the same bike and it had plenty of power to do it though. I could pop it up with a passenger no problem and that was way more than 245. Get those 1st gear wheelies down and second will come easy. If you want to try second now give it more power and go a little faster with the clutch. The problem is going to be that you aren't comfortable getting the bike high so you wont be able to hold a foot wheelie. You have to get the front tire up fast or else it will come back down again under it's own weight. The higher the tire is the lighter the front end is. When you clutch it it needs to get up there quick on the clutch because the engine doesn't have enough power to power it up in it's own. Just keep at it. Don't push it because that's when you are going to eat shit.

Stand ups are a whole new ball game. Put it in 2nd around 50 -55 and give it one good jump. There are two things that happen. One you load the suspension and at the same time you are pushing all your weight off the bike at the end of the jump. Don't push or pull on the bars and cover the rear brake. You want to be kind of weightless on the bike when you do the bounce so the bike is really light and it just gasses up on it's own. Just takes technique. When I bought my last bike I couldn't get them for shit and then one day I figured it out again and they came up so easy. Even in third no problem.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i can almost gaurentee you are not using enough throttle for your second gear clutch up. and i agree about doing 1st gear power wheelies first.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Nevrsumr22 said:
I had the same bike and it had plenty of power to do it though. I could pop it up with a passenger no problem and that was way more than 245.
Any bike is gonna wheelie easier with a passenger. With a passenger more of the weight is toward the rear which would make the bike lift easier. In his case he has 245 dead in the center. Truck, from what you described it sounds like you just need to give it more gas in 2nd.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read that F4 (good read), I think my deal is not enough throttle, or I'm doing everything to slow.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Or it could be a combination of both not enough throttle and clutching too slow. Its really hard to tell w/o actually being there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i think i see the problem where you say you're slipping the clutch.
Just pull clutch all the way in with 1 finger (index finger), grab some throttle and let out the clutch fast (don't drop the lever, just let it out fast). Then increase throttle/rpms when clutching it until it comes up to the height you want it to.

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
I've heard of quite a few people pull the clutch at 6500 and then nearly bouncing off rev-limiter to get F4i's up in 2nd gear. The bounce technique works also. Lean back on seat but be ready to pull yourself foward once you come up! I could do a wheelie on a F4i back when I was like 300lbs man...

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
big guy...slow bike...stock gearing= hard time wheelying.

what you think is a lot of throttle probably isn't. on my ZX9 i generally roll it WFO and then slip the clutch at 5~5500 and i have a lot more horsepower than you.

first things first i the 1st gear power wheelie. you need to get used to that front up snapping off the ground. you may try accelerating, rolling off the throttle at around 5500~6000rpm and then snapping the throttle back open hard to get the front end to lift. if you are really having trouble in 1st you might want to change your gearing. try going down a tooth in the front.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
big guy...slow bike...stock gearing= hard time wheelying.

what you think is a lot of throttle probably isn't. on my ZX9 i generally roll it WFO and then slip the clutch at 5~5500 and i have a lot more horsepower than you. generally speaking 1/2~3/4 throttle isn't going to cut. roll it famn near wide open and then clutch it. the object is to re-engage the clutch at an rpm far faster then the bike is going.

first things first however is the 1st gear power wheelie. you need to get used to that front tire snapping up off the ground. you may try accelerating, rolling off the throttle at around 5500~6000rpm and then snapping the throttle back open hard to get the front end to lift. try moving farther up the powerband and see how it affects the front tire coming up. if you are really having trouble in 1st you might want to change your gearing. try going down a tooth in the front.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Being a big guy doesn't really make a difference for normal stand up wheelies. It will make it harder for highchairs and spreaders, but it will be easier for seat standers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Truck said:
So I've been practicing doing wheelies lately, and I'm getting frusterated. I am on my F4i, stock gearing, and Diablo Corsa's for tires. I'm at a pretty big guy at 245lbs, so I think that maybe contributing to my problem. I can do little power wheelies in first like a foot, foot and a half off the ground, but 2nd is a no go. I haven't tried standing up in 2nd yet, but, I have been sitting back in the seat. In 2nd, I get going to about 6500-7000, and then I start to slip the clutch in. I was easing the clutch back out, but that wasn't doing shit. Then I started to let it out faster, and the bike would feel like it was going to launch, but wouldn't. I'm not letting off the throttle at all I don't think. Any advice? More throttle? More clutch? Ultimately I just want to get down 2nd gear standups, and that'd be it, I'm no stunter.

JUST STARTED TO DO 2ND GEAR STANDUPS, STAGGARDS, WHAT i DO IS and this only for my liking, you might not like it, but here is my input.

I am not for sure of the speed cuz I am standing, but the engine sounds like it's at about 6-7k maybe 5 or so, I'll let you know tomorrow, I am riding to work and will figure it out,

standup put the left foot on the passenger peg,accel a lil bit and let off, then accel a bit and pull in clutch and give it gas, she'll come up and then you'll let off the throttle a lil bit. I learned this in 1st gear it's a lil choppy but once you get smoother on the gas and timing it's sweet, but the 2nd gears feel awesome.

move at your own pace is the #1 key. good luck and wear your lid.

btw I have stock gearing and an erion slipon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts