Sport Bikes banner

421 - 440 of 480 Posts

·
Old time rookie
948 Posts
Ok I installed it. it took about 1 hour which includes me also running to Walmart and Lowes and ended up buying a damn torque wrench because the one I had was a 1/4" drive and all my 17mm were 3/8's :lao

Overall, If I had everything, it is a 15 minute job once you get the crank tr*****/advancer locked in when you go to loosen and tighten the crank bolt. I cleaned the threads and used blue threadlocker on all the bolts. Torqued the crank bolt to 33 ft/lbs and the cover bolts to 95 in-lb.

Definitely a much smoother throttle response in the low end and mid range and top end come on quickly. Definitely a must get mod even for a stock bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got my +4 installed, and took a test ride. WOW. what a difference! i highly recommend this mod. smooth acceleration plus quicker response. much quicker through the powerband. install was pretty straight forward. first time i've had my fairing off, but all-in-all pretty simple.

other mods:

shimmed carbs
yoshi rs-3 can

wish now that i would have taken pics of install.. sorry

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Just got my +4 installed, and took a test ride. WOW. what a difference! i highly recommend this mod. smooth acceleration plus quicker response. much quicker through the powerband. install was pretty straight forward. first time i've had my fairing off, but all-in-all pretty simple.

other mods:

shimmed carbs
yoshi rs-3 can

wish now that i would have taken pics of install.. sorry
Grats! Another happy owner... I don't recall taking my fairing off though. Did you find you needed to, or just wanted more room to work?

:edit, nevermind - i recall taking the right side off now...

I had the needles shimmed, K&N filter and the advancer and the bike was running great, but when i dropped the RS3 on there it was like it was a completely different bike. It accelerates harder and faster now, and of course sounds better :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah Ray, right side only. I was totally surprised at the performance difference. My k&n comes tomorrow, don't know if I can handle much more acceleration.
:neener

·
Old time rookie
948 Posts
I did not take any pics of the fairing, but it is simple to remove. If you can't, you shouldn't be doing this mod alone anyways.

Here is a shot of the fairing removed showing the timing cover. The 6 outside 8mm bolts get torque down to 95 in/lbs. NOTE- This is not foot lbs, but inch pounds. There is a drastic difference!! . Also do not forget they have brackets that you also feed the bolts through

Here is what it looks like when you remove the 8mm bolts and timing cover.

Here is the top center bolt, the only that comes with locktite. I cleaned the bolt off and the threads when I re-installed it.

Here is the ignition advancer. I used a big screw driver to wedge between the advancer teeth to keep it in place while I removed the 17mm crank bolt. This bolt is on tight, but nothing that some elbow grease can't handle.

Here I have replaced the ignition advancer and applied blue thread locker to the crank bolt and the timing cover bolts as well. I tightened the crank bolt to 33 ft/lbs using the same method I got it off. I also applied a dab of red High temp RTV sealant around the top corners of the timing cover.

Everything is now done in reverse order.

·
Old time rookie
948 Posts
I love it. The bike is more manageable in 1st gear as it is smoother and the mid range and top end feel stronger. Also throttle response is a lot better! Definitely a great mod to do.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I love it. The bike is more manageable in 1st gear as it is smoother and the mid range and top end feel stronger. Also throttle response is a lot better! Definitely a great mod to do.
Now put an Yosh RS3 can on there and really wake it up. Shim those needles, drop in a BMC or K&N and you are all set. You'd swear it is a different bike (and it will be)....:cheers

·
Old time rookie
948 Posts
Now put an Yosh RS3 can on there and really wake it up. Shim those needles, drop in a BMC or K&N and you are all set. You'd swear it is a different bike (and it will be)....:cheers
Right now a Yosh is either this month or next. I am still in need of frame sliders.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those reading this thread considering a +4 advancer,. i have to agree totally with Rayzzr. the mods he listed are what i have now, and it is a totally different bike as far as performance goes. alot of results for the $ and time involved.. no observed problems with any of the mods, just make sure they're done correctly.... enjoy

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok lemme just say, first off I was very skeptical, and worried being from the West Coast where pee and gas are the same. I was worried about over heating, detonation etc because 91oct is all we can get.

So I installed it this weekend, pretty simple, very straightforward. I reused the old gasket plus put on a few drops of gasket maker to hold the gasket in place. Torqued large bolt to 29ft-lbs and small bolts to 95in-lbs. Used Blue Loctite. Total time with taking fairing off was about 20 min.

Rode 60 miles today in 72deg ambient morning, 104 degree ambient afternoon.

Mods:
Yoshi RS3
Shimmed carbs
+4 timing key

My impressions:

1. Bike runs smoother at all RPM ranges
2. 6th gear now feels like 4th. Can't tell you how many times I kept trying to shift, even though rpms are the same in top gear.
3. Even in 104 deg heat, the bike seems to run 6-10 degrees cooler while cruising on the freeway.
4. There is slightly less compression braking.
5. There is no more bogging or lag in any gear.
6. Low speed maneuvering is improved.
7. Noticed no detonation or pinging.

Worth the money, if you're from Cali don't worry.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just installed mine last night. Didn't feel like riding more than about 15 min in sub 40 degree temp at night but some things I noticed were...

Better low speed throttle control (no "chugging" at lower 1st gear RPM)
A bit crisper leading into the mid range
Smoother launch out of first up into the power band

We'll see how things are when I can really get out and ride.

EDIT TO ADD:
Really got to test it out on the highways today...

Well worth 50 bucks! Mid range pulls exactly like a early 2000 model GSXR 750 I rode for a while.

I was skeptical, but I can personally say that they price to value ratio of this mod is the best out there.

·
5,547 Posts
need a little help cant seem to find the factory pro ignition advancer for the 08 zzr600.
That's because they don't make one specifically labeled for the 2005-2008 ZZR600. You have to search parts that will fit a 2000-2002 ZX6R "J" model which is the same bike as your 2008 ZZR600. It really changes the performance of the bike after the installation. I've had my installed on my 2006 ZZR for several years.

The correct Factory Pro part number is :RTR-KAW-8904

FactoryPro Ignition Advancers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ignition Advancer

Thanks for the info found what I was looking for cant wait to install it. Im trying to do all the work myself is the advancer EZ to install?

·
5,547 Posts
Thanks for the info found what I was looking for cant wait to install it. Im trying to do all the work myself is the advancer EZ to install?
Isn't it easy to find parts when you have a clue what bike you really have?

Do yourself a favor and buy a service manual or download the free one from here. It's not that hard to install. There's plenty of info in the thread on how to install it. Get a torque wrench. The "Pickup Coil Cover Bolts" are torqued, 11 N-m (1.1 kgf-m, or 95 in-lb)

The ignition rotor bolt is torqued 40 N-m (4.0 kgf-m, or 29 ft-lb)

Please pay attention to inch pounds and foot pounds when working on your ZZR. Get a set of metric allen T-handles and a set of metric allen sockets too.

421 - 440 of 480 Posts