Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have a +4 on mine now not really sure if it did anything, i think i havent road it enuff since i put it on so, well when i did ride it, it kinda seemed like the throttle was a little quicker so yeah it does help out on the bike but like i said i havent raod it enuff since i put it on but one guy on here says he got it and it was worth the $ thats why i got mine so go ahead and get one, i got mine from http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/MMYSkuDisplay.jsp;jsessionid=JQAIOELJSVGSPLA0WTKSM4VMDK0NKIV0?leafCatId=41205&catId=412&store=Main&mmyId=5059 but you will need to go back and change the year of the bike cause the page i put up is for an 01, but i think its a good thing to buy cause i felt some differance but i just need to ride it more, and im not sure what the differance is between the degrees

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
SyntheticReality said:
'99 and '01 should be mechanically identical, right?

Yes. Nothing has changed mechanically from 1996-2003, other than graphics.

Stone

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Yes and no.

I am thinking about doing one myself. My interpretation is it is like a mechical advance on a distributor (since our distributors cannot be adjusted). You can "advance" the timing in a sense (+2,+4, etc.). The thing is picking the right "advance" you want or that will work for your bike. I am sure other variables must come into play (full system vs. slip-on, is the bike jetted, etc.) to be able to choose the right advance.

Is too much advance a bad thing too? Does +4 change bottom end or mpg?

Are you looking at the Factory adjustable Ignition Advancer?
I am apprehensive on buying a fixed advancer (say, just +2). I do not want to be stuck with the wrong one.

Stone

·
Registered
291 Posts
the place i bought mine from says this about the advancer

Provide quick performance increase
Boost top-end and mid-range power
Sharpens low-end throttle response
Easy installation
Used by many AMA/WERA race teams
Toll-free customer support from Factory: 1-800-869-0497

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Ignition timing is matched to piston rise, octane and compression. The idea is to have the fuel/air charge complete ignition of the charge in sequence as the piston moves down from Top Dead Center on the power stroke. So timing is "advanced" to light the charge prior to the piston topping out. The advance is measured in degrees BTDC (before top dead center.) A four degree advancer moves the ignition four degrees farther BTDC than stock.

If the charge burns too soon the result is a loss of power due to the charge expansion fighting the upward movement of the piston. If the charge is not completely burned during the power stroke the result is loss of power due to the incomplete use of fuel/air.

If you have modified your head by porting or shaving, you may need to advance timing to meet the ideal burn completion point since a b***** or more compressed charge burns slower. This is why higher compression engines require higher octane (faster burning) fuel.

Otherwise, timing advancers generally do not improve the burn. In any event, you can't know if the mod improves horsepower without a dyno. An ignition that is too advanced can lead to pre-ignition and holeing the piston. The expanding charge pushes against the rising piston to the point of failure. Buyer Beware.

·
Registered
291 Posts
well i got mine last week and its already on, but on the info it gives on the site dont say nothing about what you said

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well i talked to the company today that makes the Factory Pro Advancers, and the guy said he never heard of any ones bike getting messed up from having an advancer on the bike with out building up the engine, he said they have been selling those things for 10 to 15 years but he was kinda weird cause i said to him, so theres no way that my engine could get messed up from having the advancer on? hes like well you never know but probably not i think it will be ok lol so im going to take mine off and send it back cause with a manager guy that has worked at a comp that long and tells a person that has bought a product from there comp what he said lol i do not want to buy there products

·
Registered
291 Posts
i took mine off and really didnt notice any differance from having it on and then putting stock back on i thought i noticed somthing but i guess not lol

·
Registered
475 Posts
jim schmidt said:
If you have modified your head by porting or shaving, you may need to advance timing to meet the ideal burn completion point since a b***** or more compressed charge burns slower. This is why higher compression engines require higher octane (faster burning) fuel.
Just wanted to clear this up. Higher octane fuels (generally) burn slower, or rather at a more controlled rate, than lower octane fuels. They are used in higher compression (and hotter) engines to help reduce 'knock' - that being detonation. Ignition advancers can help increase HP by reducing the additional time the higher octane fuel requires to complete the burn by starting the burn process a few degrees sooner than normal. In a car engine, the ignition advance is usually vairable, controlled by spring tension against RPMs (as in older cars with weights and springs under the distributor cap), but on motorcycles, the ignition rate is fixed, whether it's stock, +2, +4 (or whatever) throughout the entire RPM range. Basically, in a tuned, higher compression, hotter running motor that needs a higher octane fuel to eliminate detonation, an ignition advancer can help get back horsepower lost to the slower burning fuel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts