Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During you last purchase of a bike, how would you do it all over again? Would it be the same bike? a different make/model?

I find myself asking that question now as I get ready to purchase my third bike. I'll be selling my CBR600 and the Harley Iron, but as I was looking at bikes in my price range I asked myself how can I make this purchase with out regret?

So far I've just been looking at the CBR600RR, the Ducati EVo, and the Triumph Daytona R. I know I will regret not buying a 1000cc but it's just not in the financial cards right now, with other existing loans for education piling up.

For me at least on my first purchase, I wish I had done more research.

How about you?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It is all a learning experience. I learned the hard way with both of my purchases when i bought my first bike brand new and my second bike used. I SHOULD have bought my first bike used and cheap, then bought my second bike new. I was a knuckle head who wanted to be on a bike and by the time my patience had enough i was purchasing a bike in the summer time when i really could have waited til the winter and gotten what i wanted.

But hey you live, you learn and then you know the right and the wrong way to go about researching and what you want.

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
During you last purchase of a bike, how would you do it all over again? Would it be the same bike? a different make/model?
HD V Rod was my last bike purchase & in no way shape or form will I own another HD.

Live & learn.

On the horizon....

:egrin

Attachments

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I would get the 636 again that I currently have. Other than me crashing it, it runs like an absolute champ and I got it for a great deal. Physically, it is very comfortable, and the bike itself has a lot of personality that I simply can't get over.

However, graduating next year, I may be looking at a KTM RC8 or BMW HP4

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
So far I've just been looking at the CBR600RR, the Ducati EVo, and the Triumph Daytona R. I know I will regret not buying a 1000cc but it's just not in the financial cards right now, with other existing loans for education piling up.
This doesn't make sense. The CBR600RR is in a completely different price category than a ducati 848 evo or a 675R. For the price of the latter two you could EASILY buy a used zx10r, R1, CBR1000RR, etc.

If finances are tight why the hell are you looking at premium brands and premium spec models? That's friggin' dumb.

Hell, buying any bike when finances are tight and you KNOW you have loans and debt to pay off is dumb. Clear those up first before you go any further.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Concours 14 again. I would have kept the ZX-14 and committed to making it more comfortable and kept the Yamaha Royal Star.

It's not that the Concours wasn't a good bike - it was. Smooth, pretty quick, some nice features, but it wasn't all that comfortable for me and it never really fit me right. I realized I had made a mistake when I was riding it home, and I was never really excited about riding it.

Now I have a BKing and a...Goldwing <gasp!>. I am excited to ride both bikes, again, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This doesn't make sense. The CBR600RR is in a completely different price category than a ducati 848 evo or a 675R. For the price of the latter two you could EASILY buy a used zx10r, R1, CBR1000RR, etc.

If finances are tight why the hell are you looking at premium brands and premium spec models? That's friggin' dumb.

Hell, buying any bike when finances are tight and you KNOW you have loans and debt to pay off is dumb. Clear those up first before you go any further.
the CBR600RR is the cheapest of the three, my budget is 14k, the Evo is 13k, and the triumph is 11.5 (non R) or 13k for the R. I'd say I'm with in my budget by browsing there, unless you have a suggestion?

* Edit : Ah never mind I see what your saying I missed the "used part" your right, damn it. I'm just have this twitch about breaking in my own bikes.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I never would have traded my 09 Street Triple for an 09 FZ1. Though I am super happy with the 08 Aprilia Tuono I have now. That Triumph was a really special bike, and I had some of my best times on it. If I ever find another one when I have the cash for a second bike, it's coming home with me. The Yamaha was just boring, I never clicked with that bike. But it had the utility I was looking for at the time and it really taught me how to turn a wrench.

Now that I have the Tuono I'm really enjoying riding again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I find myself asking that question now as I get ready to purchase my third bike. I'll be selling my CBR600 and the Harley Iron, but as I was looking at bikes in my price range I asked myself how can I make this purchase with out regret?
Ask yourself: What don't you like about your current bikes? You have two really different machines suited to different purposes.

You probably aren't going to find one motorcycle that can replace both of them.

What do you use the CBR for?
What do you use the Harley for?
What don't you like about the CBR? The Harley?
What do you like about the CBR? The Harley?
How do you ride the CBR? Do you ring it's neck and ride around at 10K+ rpms all the time, or do you rarely exceed the 6 or 7K RPM level?
How do you ride the Harley?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HD V Rod was my last bike purchase & in no way shape or form will I own another HD.

Live & learn.

:egrin
Could not agree with you more, I got the Iron as a bobber project, it's just fell short and started to become a money pit. If I had a kid who was close to driving age I would definitely pass it on, but that's not the case yet :)

I love my honda, and when I was originally looking I had looked at many, but after my test drive I fell in love with it. I think this time around its going to take a lot more sitting in the saddles of the various options and quietly pondering what life would be like in each seat, and do it with patience and lots and lots of research about each bike. Sounds corny but I'll have to a bike whisper for a couple of weeks so I don't do anything stupid (impulse).

And Rhetorik, I'm square with my debt position and have a plan for that, and your also right about going the used route, however I did that once before with two automobiles and it really screwed me so It's hard to think about doing it again, even if it gets me a b***** jump in bike choices and performance such as a move into the 1000cc class. But knowing my self I don't think I am ready for that class yet either and am very comfortable in the mid class range at the moment.

Keep it coming guys and gals, I appreciate these stories, as they provide inspiration and guidance for this round.

Cheers,

D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ask yourself: What don't you like about your current bikes? You have two really different machines suited to different purposes.

You probably aren't going to find one motorcycle that can replace both of them.

What do you use the CBR for?
What do you use the Harley for?
What don't you like about the CBR? The Harley?
What do you like about the CBR? The Harley?
How do you ride the CBR? Do you ring it's neck and ride around at 10K+ rpms all the time, or do you rarely exceed the 6 or 7K RPM level?
How do you ride the Harley?

I use the CBR for stress relief and yes I drive it like I've been belched from the bowels of hell (safely of course). And usually its my daily driver.

The Harley I thought would be a great bobber project and a good commuter for certain parts of my week but then I started driving it like the CBR.

I love the CBR for its nimbleness, and cornerning. It isn't that I don't like the Honda I just would like to try something different/step up.

I love the Harley for its sound and cruising coolness. I don't like it's limitations, but I knew that getting into, I thought the look of it would overcome that, it hasn't. It's merely a show on two wheels. On days I would take the Harley I started to ride it like the CBR tucking in, pushing it as hard as it would go, scrapping foot pegs around corners, I had to tell myself to cut it out once or twice.

The best analogy I could give you is, I feel like I am scraping too little butter on too much bread with the both of them.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I never would have traded my 09 Street Triple for an 09 FZ1. Though I am super happy with the 08 Aprilia Tuono I have now. That Triumph was a really special bike, and I had some of my best times on it. If I ever find another one when I have the cash for a second bike, it's coming home with me. The Yamaha was just boring, I never clicked with that bike. But it had the utility I was looking for at the time and it really taught me how to turn a wrench.

Now that I have the Tuono I'm really enjoying riding again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I don't know what it is about the FZ1. I like R1's and I love naked bikes, but the FZ1 never really did it for me. It's not an anti-Japanese thing, because the Z1000 looks like fun to me. That said, I love Tuono's, SuperDukes and S3's.

As far as regrets go, I wish I would have kept my second SV. My friend really needed a bike and I was running low on money, so I get it had to go. But that was a good bike.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I don't know what it is about the FZ1. I like R1's and I love naked bikes, but the FZ1 never really did it for me. It's not an anti-Japanese thing, because the Z1000 looks like fun to me. That said, I love Tuono's, SuperDukes and S3's.

As far as regrets go, I wish I would have kept my second SV. My friend really needed a bike and I was running low on money, so I get it had to go. But that was a good bike.
My roommate's FZ1 is great, granted I absolutely adore my FZ6. :shrug

I will say, it isn't as emotional a relationship as it is with my kawi. But I also use them in entirely different environments. With the FZ, I always have a smile on my face with it, the FZ is like a good friend. Sure we have downtimes, but almost all the time we enjoy each other's company. However, the kawi is more like a girlfriend. When I get on her to go for a few laps, as soon as that helmet goes on, everything else is drowned out and its just me and her. Sometimes we get along great and make a perfect team, but othertimes I know that we could've done better. Sometimes our relationship crashes, but sometimes we are happier than we ever have been. I remember my first TD so far this year at MSRH I just wasn't feeling it, and was starting to think that maybe I need to pause my track and racing career until I'm done with school. I just felt as if I didn't have the time or ability to put into it. Then, I put my helmet on again, forgot all about that, and she gave me one of my best sessions I've ever had that reminded me why I do this.

IDK, I may way overthink things and may be a bit emotionally attached to my bikes, but can not see myself giving up either one anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I think I just built up the idea of, "an R1 with handlebars" in my head too much.

·
Registered
848 Posts
don't regret the current ride since the wife bought it....

now, if i look at previous bikes, i would say i should have kept the VFR800, because the new owner wrecked it 10 days later. i cried.
The Busa i sold cause i didn't thoroughly ask my wife what she did not or did like about the Busa, if i would have done that, i would still own it since she LOVED the bike and now she wants me to buy another.
the 04 750, don't regret buying it one bit. LOVED that bike. I actually bought it while i was attending school down in Alabama and didn't have the Busa with me. i regret selling it cause it was great for a track whore, but i figured with plans to go to another base, wife loved STin, i felt i should get rid of it and bought the FJR. well the FJR, to me, had no soul. it just didn't do it for me. plus the wife was not comfy on it. sure, it made STin cake, but it didn't have character i loved like all the previous bikes and not even close to my current ride... so the FJR went out the door with nothing replacing it... for about 1 year.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I use the CBR for stress relief and yes I drive it like I've been belched from the bowels of hell (safely of course). And usually its my daily driver.

The Harley I thought would be a great bobber project and a good commuter for certain parts of my week but then I started driving it like the CBR.

I love the CBR for its nimbleness, and cornerning. It isn't that I don't like the Honda I just would like to try something different/step up.

I love the Harley for its sound and cruising coolness. I don't like it's limitations, but I knew that getting into, I thought the look of it would overcome that, it hasn't. It's merely a show on two wheels. On days I would take the Harley I started to ride it like the CBR tucking in, pushing it as hard as it would go, scrapping foot pegs around corners, I had to tell myself to cut it out once or twice.

The best analogy I could give you is, I feel like I am scraping too little butter on too much bread with the both of them.
The CBR600RR and Triump will be pretty similar to the CBR. The Duc will be different, but I have a feeling you will be disappointed with it if you like the way inline 4s scream.

How about: Ninja 1000? They are less than the ones you are looking at - more comfortable seating position IMO (if that matters to you).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll have to check the Ninja out. As this post is progressing I've been doing more and more researching, thinking about the Triumph as first round draft, though its still debatable on the R spec or not, for the shocks/breaks upgrade.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
The CBR600RR and Triump will be pretty similar to the CBR. The Duc will be different, but I have a feeling you will be disappointed with it if you like the way inline 4s scream.

How about: Ninja 1000? They are less than the ones you are looking at - more comfortable seating position IMO (if that matters to you).
I've owned both a 2008 CBR600RR and a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675, and I can tell you, they are night and day different. Even if they are in the same class.

Defiance said:
I'll have to check the Ninja out. As this post is progressing I've been doing more and more researching, thinking about the Triumph as first round draft, though its still debatable on the R spec or not, for the shocks/breaks upgrade.
If you will be doing trackdays, it IS worth it, but if it's a street only bike, it's not worth it.

With that said, The Daytona R comes with MUCH more than just Ohlins suspension. It has Full brembo brakes (including master cylinder), carbon fiber parts littered everywhere, quickshifter, and if you buy the 2013, it has ABS, slipper clutch. Not to mention gorgeous pearl white paint. It's for you to decide if $5000 in upgrades is worth $1900 premium. :)

The 2013 Daytona R has been labeled by 2 magazines as the best sportbike, EVER.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've owned both a 2008 CBR600RR and a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675, and I can tell you, they are night and day different. Even if they are in the same class.
Please share your thoughts on each, since you are a gold mine of information for me right now :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts