Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just makes no sense to me. Piece of mind that you own a bike that is in the most flawless condition cannot possibly outweight buying used and saving considerable cash. Unless it is an Aprilia you plan on racing or something, I just fail to see the logic.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Theres just somthing about owning a bike from 0 miles. Besides, a 500 isn't just a beginners bike. Both the kawi and suzuki 500s are great streetbikes. I'd love to have one if I could afford to have 3 or 4 bikes.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Certainly true. But the used market for 250s and 500s reached critical mass a long time ago for sure.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i think you can get away with a used mild six00 bike as a starter and be happy with it for a while.

i was happy with my katana untill i rode a F3 and then sold my katana imedatiely. never ride a better bike then what you got, youll want it

·
Registered
173 Posts
saving cash is fine if you dont mind being behind the curve and owning last years model. also the performance specs on bike have change so much in the last 3-4 years. in that time frame you go from gxsr's that are carb to fuel inject. look at how much kawa has improved their bikes in the past two years.

·
Registered
952 Posts
808 said:
saving cash is fine if you dont mind being behind the curve and owning last years model. also the performance specs on bike have change so much in the last 3-4 years. in that time frame you go from gxsr's that are carb to fuel inject. look at how much kawa has improved their bikes in the past two years.
But he's talking about like.. the ex250 and 500... which havent changed since 1989

·
Registered
173 Posts
MobileSuit said:
But he's talking about like.. the ex250 and 500... which havent changed since 1989
unless you have money to throw at a bike that will keep you happy for about a month id stick to a 600.

·
Registered
681 Posts
2 reasons to buy new: #1 it's NEW and #2 it comes with a warranty. Some people need #2 as they have no clue as to mechanics.....so if it breaks under waranty, dealer fixes it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just bought a new 500R and my main reasoning is because #1 used ones with low km still going for 5,500-6,000 CDN plus most have no warrently and prolly won't pass cert. without adding more money to it.

#2 is the warrenty, I don't plan on getting rid of my 500R all that fast. I want to literally master the bike and use every bit of what it has to offer.

Plus with me being a student and not making much money I can't see myself selling this bike to buy b***** when CDN insurance is SOOOO damn high it is unreal.

I am from ontario where 5,000 a year is liability only for me on a supersport.. think about that!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree completely with going used. I saved $600 - $800 by buying a used 2003 ex250 with 2700 miles. Not a scratch on it.

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
Whats the best price around on ex500s that are in good condition. I want one and I don't know if I want to spend 2000. Something 95 or better would be nice.

·
Banned
730 Posts
808 said:
unless you have money to throw at a bike that will keep you happy for about a month id stick to a 600.
Please come up w/ a new arguement than the "you'll just get tired of it in a month" as that one's beyond old AND wrong. An EX500 for the track and it's rider will make 99.94% of 600SS street-riders cry. Think not? Try a track day and get to weepin".

·
Registered
886 Posts
How can you say you'd get bored with it after a month??? Its not all about insane power to weight ratios you know. Why would anyone buy a cruiser? With those power to weight ratios they should be bored of it before they get it off the showroom floor.

It'd be nice if the 500s got an update though. Fuel injection. A bit more HP and torque. More stylish bodywork for the kawisaki. Maybe it'll start happening since there are 2 fully faired 500s in the market now. I've seen several gs500s on the street (the new ones) so they are selling.

·
Registered
646 Posts
What an interesting question. I like it.
Personally I have to say that I wouldnt buy a new 250 or 500 to start on if the point is that I want a bike TO LEARN ON. I would be way too afraid of destroying it or having anything happen to it. But at the same time, I could easily see buying a new one simply because I wouldnt want more power, or that was going to be my full time bike. I know plenty of people who never got above a 500cc bike and dont want to. I certainly wouldnt expect them to keep buying used bikes forever.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree, a supersport is not a beginners bike. But, I do have to say lots of people start on them and are still around today but it will take longer to develop your riding skills than if you were to start on an ex250/ex500/gs500/sv650/etc. I think people buy new because they really don't want to deal with potential problems when buying used (bad fork seals, dirty carbs, dropped occasionally, etc, etc). I know I've put alot of time and money into my bike and it's about 16 years old, but to me it's well worth the money to have a bike that is different than everybody elses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts