Sport Bikes banner

If this were your tire

1484 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Lucky_Devil
would you replace it? I picked up a nail in my rear tire today. Went out to get gas at lunch and it was flat. While trying to find the puncture, I found this crack in the tire. Depthwise, it goes all the way down to the main part of the carcass at the bottom of the groove. Not into the carcass just along the top.

I've already decided to replace the tire cause I plugged the hole the nail made to get home. If there was no nail hole and this crack/split was the only damage would you guys/gals replace the tire or get more life out of it./

I think it was caused by the sharp rocks on the gravel road I live on. The county just graded the road not too long ago. However I did get that tire online and I have heard/read that some of those tires are older i.e. sitting in warehouses and aren't as good as what the dealer may have. So who knows? Having said that most of the tires I've ever purchased have been online and never had a problem.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Hard to say but since that tire looks so worn in the middle anyway, I probably would.

So are you going to stay with the same type of tires or try something different?
I picked up a big piece of glass a few months ago and after i removed it there was a "crack" kind of like that. I didn't go all of the way through. I'm still riding on the same tire. I deemed it safe enough. I guess it depends on how you feel.

- Zach
Getting some Dunlop D208ZR for 149.99 for the set
kirkeb said:
Getting some Dunlop D208ZR for 149.99 for the set
Where? I need a cheap but decent set of tires soon!
I would replace it...with my luck it would come back to haunt me.
kirkeb said:
would you replace it?
Given how worn the tire is at this point, yes... I would probably replace it. If it had more meat left on it and was newer, I probably wouldn't.

kirkeb said:
However I did get that tire online and I have heard/read that some of those tires are older i.e. sitting in warehouses and aren't as good as what the dealer may have.
Just as an FYI, all tires are stamped with the date they were manufactured. If you inspect the sidewall of the tires you bought, or even better, are about to buy, you can tell how old they are.

Attachments

See less See more
Lucky_Devil said:
Given how worn the tire is at this point, yes... I would probably replace it. If it had more meat left on it and was newer, I probably wouldn't.

Just as an FYI, all tires are stamped with the date they were manufactured. If you inspect the sidewall of the tires you bought, or even better, are about to buy, you can tell how old they are.

So how old is too old?
FZ6-KEP said:
Where? I need a cheap but decent set of tires soon!
cyclegear.com

thanks for the info on the tire dating.
FatHawk said:
So how old is too old?
It depends.

If you need to get the most out of your tires, then the fresher the better. If you like a tire to last longer, then the age of the tire is less critical. But you should never buy or use a tire that is more than six to seven years old.

Rubber is organic and it decomposes. After a tire is manufactured, it may sit on the top shelf of a scalding hot warehouse for four years, outgassing all the while. Then it goes to the local shop, where it sits in a south-facing window (outgassing every time the sun sets for another year before you finally buy it). So, you end up with a five-year-old tire that may already be worn out before you've even ridden out of the shop. Then you'll complain every time the tire slides around underneath you. Not because it is a bad tire/brand, but because it has gotten so old and outgassed so much it has become brittle.

If your primary concern is a tire that lasts lots of miles, an older tire will do fine because it has gotten hard with age. But again, rubber is an organic material, and a tire that is seven years old is not as capable as the exact same tire that is newer.
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.