Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear to god if it gets any hotter out I'm going to be completely surounded by squids! The hotter it gets the more I see! Today was the last straw I had to post up something. I coming home from work, the long way, It's sunny about 79 deg. clear skies no traffic. I saw at least 3 dudes not wearing anything but glasses some sneakers, shorts and, a t-shirt fly'n' down RT8 doin at least 90 tucked behind the screen. All on either Gixxer 750's, Busa's or Gixxer 600's, if you haven't noticed they like their Suzuki's up here, and no one cares about shit as long as they look cool :smokin.

The kicker though was when I went past the gas station when I got off the high way. I see this dude, at least 325lbs no bullshit, on a brand new limited addition Busa, girlfriend or some unlucky girl on the back. Both wearing the hottest styles for the summer, sunglasses, shorts, the dude in a hawiian T, the chick in a halter top, both in sandles :dblthumb . The best part, the dude's got a gatorade in both side pockets of his shorts and the chick was drinking a coffee while their pulling out :lao

Is any one else cursed with such a community willing to get hurt so baddly??
I swear the heat is melting peoples brain cells! :drool

·
Banned
216 Posts
I assume thats not your picture in your avatar, otherwise you are as big a squid as the "gixxer squids' you were just bashing

·
Registered
539 Posts
Actually, where I live I've seen more people geared up than I ever have. Must be coming back into style around here. Or maybe I should say just coming into style.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I went for a ride yesterday in jeans and a tee shirt. Almost forgot my Oakleys. But today the gear was back on. Just thought I'd enjoy the wind for once.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Damn I wish it was 79 when I ride...were usually in the upper 80's-mid 90's!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fordyoz55 said:
I assume thats not your picture in your avatar, otherwise you are as big a squid as the "gixxer squids' you were just bashing

You have assumed correct! On two counts I don't own a Gixxer and , no that isn't me in my avitar, I just liked the pic.

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's about 60% here that don't wear gear on sportbikes, though the crusier guys never wear gear. Unless it's cold out. There is a guy down the street that rides a cruiser and always has on a jacket, gloves, and helmet.

Though when I see them riding in packs on the highway at night of course all of them are wearing gear, or full gear.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
for it being around a 100 degrees i see alot of guys wearing jackets/helmet/gloves (me included, mesh jacket that is) i have only seen 2-3 guys with no gear on since the hot temps started. even my riding buddies wear full leather jackets.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The scary part is that these 'summertime squids' are probably more likely to do something stupid and crash because they are seasonal riders with marginal riding skills.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I decided I wanted to feel the wind today, and went to work without my helmet for the first time in a LONG time.. Felt great, until I got stuck behind a Gravel hauler. throwing rock all over the place.. God I miss my helmet today.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I like the wind every once in a while too, although I ALWAYS wear a helmet, if I'm goin to 7-11 or the gas station up the road I might omit my leather jacket.. but on longer rides, I always wear it..It only takes once to expose da bones..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
I decided I wanted to feel the wind today, and went to work without my helmet for the first time in a LONG time.. Felt great, until I got stuck behind a Gravel hauler. throwing rock all over the place.. God I miss my helmet today.

ha, or when it's 9pm and your going down an old country road. Insects are flying left and right striking everything.

As much as I like the feeling of riding without a helmet, I rather not have my brains pour out of my skull because I sliped and bumped my head.

I seen a picture of a guy on an old small bike that had crashed at about 20mph. Looked fine, no road rash or anything. Though they where scooping up his brains off the road. His head got :urowned

·
Registered
43 Posts
i did an 8 hour 400 mile ride yesterday in the texas heat. Fully geared (helmet, jacket, pants, boots) the whole time. Yes it was fvcking hot, but if/when it gets to hot for gear, I take the car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Linh said:
i did an 8 hour 400 mile ride yesterday in the texas heat. Fully geared (helmet, jacket, pants, boots) the whole time. Yes it was fvcking hot, but if/when it gets to hot for gear, I take the car.

I am right there with you....did a 250 mile ride yesterday in the hot temps...leather jacket, jeans, helmet, boots, race gloves....it is just not worth it. I may omit the jacket if I am going real close, but I NEVER go without a helmet

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I hear that. Most of the riders i see in the city i live in usually cruise around with shorts and a t-shirt with just a helmet for gear. For the most part i can assume they are squids. Ive bumped into many who are on brand new R6's, Gixxer 600's etc and say it's their first bike.

Although i would never go out in shorts and sandals, i have been out in a beater or a football jersey...BUT this is just when im going to the other end of the city or for a quick spin to get gas etc. When i go riding and i know there might be a chance i'll be riding aggrisivley then i will toss on my gear.

But then again i can assume that all the ones actually riding their bikes with gear are actually out riding on backroads away from the city and traffic. Thats why you barley see them. I only bump into a handful of riders with full gear on and so far all of them have been friendly and mature. So the ones i see crusing around in the city are usually squids/posers. I've had a few pull up next to me, i nod say whats goin on and i get a look from them like they are the biggest badasses around. Cocky riders on sportbikes piss me off more then harley riders that don't respect a rider on a sportbike.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I only saw other rider out today (on a cruiser). He had the typical cruiser gear (jeans, t-shirt and a bandanna/glasses for head protection). Perfect day to ride to work, though.

It was mid 80s here in Columbus with high-humidity. I wore my mesh jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots. and khakis (have to have khakis at work). I was a little toasty when I got home, but it felt great on the highway.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
ThRotLJnKy said:
The best part, the dude's got a gatorade in both side pockets of his shorts and the chick was drinking a coffee while their pulling out :lao
what? hasn't that McDonald's lawsuit taught us anything!

"yeah, go ahead and get the coffee baby...I'm realllllll smooooth on the throttle."

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I see lots and lots of the squidlys here in FL. People don't seem to look at me funny though with my gear on *shrugs* If my finances allow it, I really should pick up some riding pants...

·
Registered
886 Posts
jasfrmn said:
I am right there with you....did a 250 mile ride yesterday in the hot temps...leather jacket, jeans, helmet, boots, race gloves....it is just not worth it. I may omit the jacket if I am going real close, but I NEVER go without a helmet
Doing a long ride with no gear is a stupid thing to do - I know - I did it once. Ever heard of wind burn? Not to mention being covered in black dust that came from god knows where.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Ok now I am getting lost...first a Squid was "some asshat that rides crazy and does stupid stunts jeopardizing his and other peoples lives" now just because "other" people aren't geared up, that means they are "squids" too? You guys are burning and abusing the shit out of that word.
From what I remember the original "squid" meaning was an asshat acting stupid, not someone that doesnt gear up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts