Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thanks God for telling me not to ride the bike today. All morning I was going back and forth, either to ride the bike or drive the car, I decided to take the car.

On my way to work this morning here in the State of PA, Traveling on RT 22 heading toward Rt 78 in my cage 2001 Pontiac Grand AM. Traffic is coming to a complete stop. So I see this an just stop in the nick of time of not rear ending a Jeep Liberty, which already ran into the back of the van in front of her. Then out of nowhere BAMMMMMM! a 2002 Nissan Altima rear ends me, putting my trunk into the back seat of my car. If I was on my bike, remember the video of the guy that ran down those bikers in Mexico. That would have been me when he hit the first biker.

I will post pic of my car when I go to the yard and talk to the insurance adjuster.

Be safe and watch your rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Damn that sucks but at least you werent on the bike could have been deadly. Hope the insurance can do somethin for ya. And like you said watch those rear veiws.

·
Registered
521 Posts
actually if you were on your bike you would have lane split to avoid the rearending which is the proper move to make to protect you from that asshat in the altima and you would not have been in the accident.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
holy crasp!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Another poster provided a very good tip I had not heard before. When behind traffic on a bike, ride near the sidelines, that way if there is a sudden stop ahead of you, you stop as you are pulling up next to the car ahead of you while protecting yourself from being rear ended by the car behind you. A very good life saving tip which I plan to implement in my rides.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ecir said:
actually if you were on your bike you would have lane split to avoid the rearending which is the proper move to make to protect you from that asshat in the altima and you would not have been in the accident.

If happen so fast, if I was on my bike I would did a stoppie and he would have rear ended me with the back tire up in the air.

Then on the PoPo report it would have been, I was doing stunts which would have caused the accident.

·
Registered
521 Posts
njdjh2o said:
If happen so fast, if I was on my bike I would did a stoppie and he would have rear ended me with the back tire up in the air.

Then on the PoPo report it would have been, I was doing stunts which would have caused the accident.

you should always have the time and always leave yourself that out. It may save your life one day. If you were on your bike and weren't anticipating that out in that situation then you might have been seriously injured. If you were redy for it you would have just lane split and let the altima crack the car in front of you and not you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bugeyed said:
Another poster provided a very good tip I had not heard before. When behind traffic on a bike, ride near the sidelines, that way if there is a sudden stop ahead of you, you stop as you are pulling up next to the car ahead of you while protecting yourself from being rear ended by the car behind you. A very good life saving tip which I plan to implement in my rides.

Sure true, that happen to me on my way back home I think last week on Rt. 78 (I'm truely thinking of keeping my ass off of Rt 78).

After passing a truck, the wind push you and I had to ride the line at the egde of the road and here comes a complete stop. If I wasn't at the point of the road, it wouldn't have been good for me. I stop at the driverside door when I came to a stop. I look at him and he looked at me and we both just shook our heads and started driving again. From that point on that how I ride.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's why I always keep a big following distance from the vehicle in front of me whether I am in a cage or a bike. I always tell myself, "what if the idiot in front of me slams on his/her brakes all of a sudden?" That way I can brake gently enough so that the other idiot *behind* me doesn't slam into my rear.

Tailgaters should be ticketed, not speeders.

·
Registered
454 Posts
actually,
if you had decided to take your bike, it probably wouldn't have happened. you might have taken longer to warm up your bike, get your gear on, and leave. Then you would have been at a different point on the freeway, with different traffic around you and without that idiot Altima bearing down on you from behind.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
f4igrad said:
actually,
if you had decided to take your bike, it probably wouldn't have happened. you might have taken longer to warm up your bike, get your gear on, and leave. Then you would have been at a different point on the freeway, with different traffic around you and without that idiot Altima bearing down on you from behind.
exactly what I was thinking.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Being rearended. My greatest fear. That, or being run over by a tank while stuck in traffic...

How'd you fare? How's your neck? Ankles? Knees? Could you get the door to open?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw the same thing happen on 95 today on the way to work in Wilmington. The person in front of me locked up as the truck in the opposite lane dipped into our lane because of a complete stop in his lane. (it was his only way out since there was a jersey wall on the other side of him.) I came down on my brakes hard and look in the rear view to make sure the person behind me isn't going to run up my rear end. He doesn't, but in the opposite lane I can see in the driver side mirror that this truck locks its brakes up and slams into the back of the stopped car. It wasn't quite as bad as yours.

I immediately think, what if I was over there and had stopped with my bike with the jersey wall on the left.

Keep an eye out behind you and keep it in gear in case you have to move out in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
f4igrad said:
actually,
Well then it's all a matter of chance. The same argument can be made if he got into a wreck on his bike after deciding not to take his car. I can say well you wouldnt have wrecked if you had taken your car because you would have left earlier, had been on a different point on the freeway, yada yada.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drifter said:
How'd you fare? How's your neck? Ankles? Knees? Could you get the door to open?
I ok, no pain anywhere. Just that Grand Am was my only other vehicle besides the bike. Now I have to ride in the rain until the insurance company approve me a rental.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts