Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering at what rpm my bike should be idling at when its warmed up. right now its about 1500. is that too high? if so does anyone now howe to change the speed?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think that's about right. From what I recall (from looking at Owner's Manual), there're 2 different idle speeds: for California model and for a "normal" model. I think that "normal" one was 1,5K and the CA is 1,8K

Do you have the owner's manual? It tells you all those numbers and the proceedures on adjusting idle, if needed

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Yeah 1500 sounds fine. Mine idles at about 1200 right now but thats cause the exhaust is making it act screwy.

That would be too high for a car, but for a bike that's fine. Remember, cars don't rev to 10,000+ rpms either. Unless they're rotaries or small displacement V12's or something. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
another thing to keep in mind is that the tachometer (like a speedometer) isnt 100% accurate. so if your tach says 1500rpm that doesnt mean your engine is going exactly 1500rpm. i think idle speed should be the lowest speed that your engine idles well at, thats how i set mine.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do you guys ajust the idle? i have no idea how to do it

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
If you look in between the carburetors...there's a black thumbscrew between the two of them. That *should* be your idle adjustment screw. The idle mixture screws can also affect your idle speed....those are small screws on the bottom of the carburetors pointing directly up. Turning them right leans the mixture, turning them left richens it. But unless your screws have been adjusted before or the bike idles poorly now with aftermarket parts, I wouldn't touch them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts