·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plastic-wrap prank injures cycle rider
Saturday, July 02, 2005
By Ed Ronco and Barton Deiters
The Grand Rapids Press
WYOMING -- Jim Anderson had run some errands and was riding his Harley Davidson motorcycle home when he rounded a bend on Canal Avenue SW and saw what looked like fog ahead.

But what he encountered was work of three teenagers pulling a prank, police said -- not Mother Nature.

About 1:20 a.m. Friday, Anderson's cycle crashed into a swath of industrial-strength plastic wrap stretched between two sign posts north of 56th Street. The bike skidded, and Anderson, 48, suffered a fractured rib and internal bruising.
The Wyoming-area boys -- two 17-year-olds and a 16-year-old -- told police they put the wrap across the road as a prank, not expecting something as small as a motorcycle to come down the street, said Maj. John Lind, Wyoming's deputy police chief.

"They were waiting for a car to hit so they could see what would happen," Lind said. "They didn't imagine the first thing around that corner would be a motorcycle.

"They all admitted their involvement," Lind said. "They were very remorseful of anyone being injured."

Anderson's wife, Tamra, spent the night in the emergency room with her husband, who now is recovering at home.

"He's hurting," she said. "I'm a little angry."

"I'm trying hard to keep in mind that they are young."

The Andersons don't live far from where the bike went down. Tamra Anderson was the first to arrive at the scene after her husband called her.

Jim Anderson had been working late making deliveries and used it as an excuse to go for a ride on his Harley on a nice summer night. He is a manager for the Spectrum Health Urgent Care Facility at 44th Street and Canal.

Tamra Anderson said when she saw a car with three boys inside driving past, she got its license plate number and gave it to police.

"It could have been a fatality," she said. "It's the kind of thing that young people just don't think about."

She said she isn't sure how this differs from kids who throw items off highway overpasses, hitting vehicles below.

"I can't believe they set out to hurt someone, but they still have to take responsibility," Anderson said.

It's not yet known whether the teens will face criminal charges. Detectives are expected to review the case next week.

"Off the top of our mind, we're not sure what the charge would even be," Lind said.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Beat those kids...they ain't funny!

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
kids do some weird fucking shit these days... all the video clips of kids spraying shit on each other and lighting it on fire.... fucking strange!!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
+1 on the ass whooping....Im not trying to cut these kids any slack but I seriously doubt they intended to hurt anyone and I seriously doubt they intended for a motorcycle to be the first vehicle through. I guess its just bad carma.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
+1 on the ass whooping....Im not trying to cut these kids any slack but I seriously doubt they intended to hurt anyone and I seriously doubt they intended for a motorcycle to be the first vehicle through. I guess its just bad carma.
Yeah, and drunk drivers don't intend to kill a minivan full of kids either....yet it happens.

Sorry if I come across a little strong on this...

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
Kids have always done stupid things - even the Amish kids (who you think would be conservative) have a certain time of the year where they hide in the corn and throw stuff at passing cars (one of them got shot doing that recently when a driver got POed, stopped and let loose with a pistol)

In this case, I think the kids intent wasn't to hurt anyone - so an ass whoopin is appropriate. You might argue the kids should have known better, but kids just don't think like adults.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Would it be really funny for a car or truck to go through plastic? I don't get , what they were trying to accomplish? I used to throw eggs at buses when I was 15...now that was funny. :lol

GixxerJRG said:

·
Registered
944 Posts
+1 on attempted murder, but its a little harsh for a minor. Probably closer to public endangerment or something along those lines.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
WISPER said:
+1 on attempted murder, but its a little harsh for a minor. Probably closer to public endangerment or something along those lines.
Bah.....fry a couple 16 and 17 years olds to set an example...

Better yet, but up a rope between 2 signs, and make them ride a motorcycle through it. Sounds fair enough to me.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Wrap them up in Industrial Strength Plastic wrap.
Damn kids get to drive around in a car but yet they spend their time wrapping poles with Saran wrap. Buncha retards.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
MAD_CAT said:
Would it be really funny for a car or truck to go through plastic? I don't get , what they were trying to accomplish? I used to throw eggs at buses when I was 15...now that was funny. :lol
Noone said it was funny but everyone on here screaming attempted murder and death penalty. It was a very stupid thing for them to do and Im sure it never crossed their minds that a motorcycle wold be the 1st vehicle through. These are kids they think like kids. I suggest that some of you go find a law dicitonary and look up attempted murder. This definately would not count.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Would it count? No....but it should.

Would you feel the same way if it was you that hit the plastic wrap? Or worse yet, what if it actually did kill the guy...

How is this ANY different that a drunk driver hitting and hurting someone. He didn't MEAN to hurt anyone... :rolleyes

·
Registered
89 Posts
I say make them go down a water slide :) kids like that stuff right? Just put a few thorns and some glass on the slide and instead of water use alcohal, then saran wrap all that sh#T to them and make the ride a bike into a yeild sighn.....

Oh srry I got carried away.. yeah just beat the kids A$$.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I can't believe this... these "kids" are 17 and 16 years old...1 or 2 years before they can go off and join the army...vote, or even get cigaretts....

When do kids stop being kids and start becoming adults?

These individuals need to have some sense rammed into them by a guy named Bubba. They should not be doing things like that at their age. Are kids getting more and more stupid?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts